CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- September 6, 2004


September 6, 2004
Dear Keish,

It sounds as though you are off to a good start with school. Master Ujifil says that Queen Elspeth is watching your progress with great interest. He agrees that girls should have the same opportunities for basic education that boys have, especially the beginning grades.
I started studying with Master Ujifil on the first of the month, and studying really is the word. He won’t take me on any visits for the first couple of months, depending on how I progress.  We will just do exercises in the lab. The first day he tested my magic using a glass ball and the same spell that Brynn uses. Fortunately, I didn’t turn his hand orange. Then he wanted me to tell him the spells I already know how to work. He had me demonstrate Mother’s simple healing spell with the herbs using his old terrier as the patient. Then he had me demonstrate how I can remove contaminants from people’s bodies like I did with the boy fairy, Liop and Glory’s lungs. He was most pleased with that spell.
“Your ability to perceive details is very good,” he said, “Much of what you require is to learn about what you’re looking at.”
To that effect my beginning exercises involve becoming more aware of my body and how it works. Then I will be able to apply it to others. I spent much of the day trying to watch myself breathe while Master Ujifil went on his patient visits. I also sat and watched and listened to a patient who came into the laboratory. It was very boring to breath in and out steadily and watch my lungs will with air. I found myself nodding off.
All of my lessons have been something like this:
“Today, Lady Arri, you must watch yourself blink. You must try to understand how your muscles move without your having to consciously think about it.”
This request seemed like a contradiction at first, but I watched and watched and watched… until I fell asleep.
I think I prefer Master Imkell. I almost prefer memorizing the deserts of Greste. Well, maybe it’s not that bad, but I hope it gets better soon.
I got the set of blueprints you sent. I’m sure Mendel will really like them. I spent awhile looking at them myself and trying to fit them to the memory of the last time I visited you. It’s funny that you have rooms that you never use. The tower is so big. I suppose you don’t really need all those rooms. The solarium sounds very nice though. I’m sure the view is beautiful. Decorating the tower sounds like a lot of fun. I’ll have to come visit so I can see everything you’ve done.
I will ask Mendel about the dog. I’m not sure if his apartment will allow dogs or not. He hasn’t moved to Rousha yet, but I’m sure that I will see him sometime during the first couple weeks of classes. Mendel always turns up when I’m least expecting him.
Caden Viteri sounds like a problem. I wonder why he’s hanging around so much. Hopefully, he gets bored soon and leaves. After all, this isn’t a fashion trend that you’re starting.
I guess if I can attend college with all boys then it would be alright for boys to attend school with all girls. Reading and writing is something everyone should know. It is illegal in Elcaro to interfere with the education of a boy under fourteen. They must be allowed to attend school, and if they work, they must have written permission from their teacher, showing that they are a good student. After fourteen, whether they continue school is optional. Many don’t, depending on what career they want.
In two days I Uncle W. and Imato will help me move all of my things to the Prens’ house. It’s going to feel very different, but I’m excited.

September 12, 2004

Today Imato had a meeting with the financial advisor that oversees all of Father’s assets. Since he never owned any property—we were too mobile and Father disliked the idea of overseeing an estate from a distance—everything of value is stored in a bank vault.
I was surprised when Imato asked me to join him, but the bank advisor was even more surprised. He assumed at first that I was simply going to wait in the lobby. Imato corrected him rather harshly, causing him to turn very red.
It was an awful meeting, sitting and talking about money for more than two hours, going over the value of everything in the vault and interest acquired and the laws controlling it. We went over the amount of money released to Imato when he completed his knighthood, and the smaller sum that came to me on my eighteenth birthday. It will pay my rent for the year with some left over, and I’m grateful for it. The King and Queen are covering the cost of my apprenticeship and Uncle W. has raised the money for my college tuition. Imato will cover the remainder of my expenses.
Then we discussed my dowry which can only be released for my wedding. There is a sum of money designated for Liop when he completes his education in the career of his choice, although the will specifies that he is expected to complete some form of higher education whether military or academic.
All of these things we already knew about and I was growing increasingly restless and uncomfortable with the whole thing. Finally the advisor came to the point for which he called the meeting. He wants to have Father declared permanently insane. Then Imato would be declared his legal guardian. It would be like declaring him dead all over again and the estate (except for Liop’s share which would be held in trust) would be released to Imato and me.
I’m surprised Imato didn’t punch him. He was that angry.
For a few minutes we sat in shocked silence, staring at the man. He had offered his proposal as though it were a brilliant idea, but as Imato’s stony silence filled the room, he began to look increasingly nervous.
“What,” asked Imato finally, “will happen when Sir Etautca is cured?”
This was clearly not something the advisor had considered. He didn’t answer right away.
“First,” he hesitated, “there would be the legal process of restoring his competency.”
“A long and difficult battle,” said Imato, “there would be no return to his career. The military has strict rules about this. His profession would be ruined.”
“I think he will have more than earned an early retirement. You really believe he will want to return to his career?” asked the advisor, folding his arms.
Imato stood and the advisor shrank backward.
“Yes,” Imato said.
There was silence for a minute then the advisor rose.
“I can’t believe that your father would have wanted you to make such sacrifices, to continue to be a burden on your relatives,” he turned to me, “Lady Arri, surely you can see the reason in this. I have only the greatest respect for Sir Etautca.”
“I do not—,” I said, trying to keep my voice from trembling, “—see the reason.”
Imato motioned for me.
“I will not destroy my father’s career. He is only forty-six years old. If he wishes for an early retirement that will be his decision, not mine. This family has not truly depended on his income for a long time. As for the burden on our uncle, that time will be over soon and repaid in full,” he said levelly.
“As brilliant a captain as he was, I doubt the king would be able to restore him to that position even cured,” said the advisor.
“If the King commands me,” Imato towered over him, “I will think about it, but YOU are not to bring this subject to my ears again!” And he stormed out of the bank with me racing to keep up.
Imato fumed all the way to Uncle Winthrop’s apartment. When he told Uncle W. what happened, they fumed together all through dinner. I think we will be finding a new financial advisor.
“I’m sorry you had to hear that,” Imato told me later, “but I think you need to be involved in the family finances. You need to understand them. After all, I’m in a hazardous profession.”
“Don’t you dare make this conversation more unpleasant,” I glared at him, “I’ve been handling the household budget for Uncle W. I can handle this.”
“Is he still having you do that?”
“Well, I’m teaching Nysa, but she doesn’t like it much, so I’m going to look at it with her every couple of weeks for a while. Uncle W. says it’s good for her. She might have her own household to manage someday.”
“True,” said Imato slowly, considering the idea. Even though she only thirty-eight and looks like she’s in her early twenties, it’s hard to imagine Nysa married. Brynn told me that one day I will probably look older than her. It’s hard to say exactly how she will age now that she’s a house fairy, but it will certainly be more slowly than ordinary people. It’s strange to think about.
Imato, Uncle W., and I went over all the budgets and determined that we do not have any financial concerns for the next year. I guess Uncle W. had a letter from Uncle Adlen asking if he could assist us in any way. Uncle W. has written his own reply, but I’m going to add that if we need help we will certainly ask for it. The offer was very kindly given and received. As Imato said, one day this will all be behind us and we will have learned valuable lessons about what things are most important in life, like family.
Tomorrow is the first day of school, so I better go to bed early. Kestrel is camping in the hallway in front of the parlor door. I suppose she still hopes that Lady Pren will change her mind about barring her from that room. I don’t think Kestrel would really hurt the birds; she knows to leave Hermes and Clotho alone, but I agree that she shouldn’t be allowed to harass them.
I hope teaching is going well for you and Jace and that you’re enjoying it. Give my love to everyone.

Love,
Arri

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!