CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- August 26, 2004


August 26, 2004
Dear Arri,
Malia is an organizational genius.
She demurs when I say this, insisting that she just picked up a few thinking helping at the orphanage.
Frankly, I don’t care why she’s brilliant, but nothing less could have accomplished everything (completely readying two classrooms with adjoining offices) in just two days.  I really should just turn her loose on the whole tower.
She recruited an upstairs maid (the one who broke the horrid vase) for the project and the two of them went to work-- cleaning, directing the porters and getting everything set up while I arranged the papers in my adjoining office and went to the book shop to find more children’s book and primers.
That was Tuesday.  Wednesday they sent both Jace and I away and arranged Jace’s classroom and office, and the upstairs room where Jace put a small telescope for astronomy classes.
Jace and I spent the day making sure that the small training yard Jace had had made was ready.  And by that I mean Jace drilled me on self defense moves for hours.
This was partly for the purpose of determining if the yard was indeed fairly private, as propriety would dictate for a group of girls.  I am sure, however, that it was also because the suspicious incidences we’ve been having make Jace a bit concerned.
There’s been nothing serious but someone tried to get into the classrooms while we were in Castlegard.  (Luckily the locking spell Uncle W. taught us all in Rousha works very well indeed.)  There have also been young noblemen hanging around near the classrooms for no apparent reason.  (As well as some young not-so-noble men, most of whom Ryland has identified as valets.)
They haven’t done anything or even said anything, but they made Malia nervous at first.  I hope they aren’t intending to loiter about on a regular basis.
I think I’m getting better at the self defense moves.  Even though it has been weeks since I last practiced.  I’m not too sore today.
Which is good, because today Malia and I are helping Tish.  Between the increasing demand for reflections and her trip to Rousha, she’s not had time to ready a classroom.  She’ll only have a few students at first, though students from two of the city schools will be coming here for science also.  Still, an orderly classroom will certainly be the best way to begin.
Since servant schedules are demanding, to put it mildly, we’re trying to make things as simple as possible.  The year will have three terms-- reading, writing, history and math run all year.  As does self defense.  Science will run the year but Tish can make her own schedule as she wishes.
Reading and beginning writing (mostly grammar and penmanship) are taught three times a week.  I have three levels of reading classes and students will move up as needed.  Classes are only one hour blocks and I have two to three sessions for each reading class to accommodate schedules.  No one has a set schedule of dates and times, they just come to whatever session they can.  If I need to, I’ll add a higher level writing course.
Math and history are twice per week.
Self defense is every day, because it’s harder for the servants to get a free hour-and-a-half block of time and Jace says an hour isn’t long enough.  He says it will be good exercise for him.  It is required for the girls to attend at least once a week, but they may attend as frequently as they like, duties permitting.
Jace’s other classes are each one term in length, but he’ll teach them every term if there’s enough interest.  He’s teaching Elcaran history and astronomy this first term, but decided to make navigation a separate course dependent on the student having taken astronomy.  He teaches each of them twice a week, but attendance is only required once per week.
The city schools have more regular schedules, of course.
Now, however, I must put this aside to meet Tish.
Aug. 27th
Today we attacked the library.  No that is not too strong a word.
It is amazing how much clutter can insanity can accumulate in such a short span of time.  We haven’t lived in this new tower that long and yet the library has become a disgrace.
We spent the day reshelving piles of books, rearranging category sections and shelves and sorting towering piles of papers-- everything from letters to notes on magical theory to sketches from Gretel’s reign of terror wedding planning.
In the midst of all the madness, we found a neat stack of blueprints.
Malia showed them to Jace and me.  “What about these, Mistress?”
I wrinkled my nose.  “What are they?”
Jace was spreading them out on the floor.  “Blueprints.  Look, there’s the breakfast room and the dining room.  Here are the servants’ quarters.”
I knew they were blueprints and I knew they looked familiar, but it took me a moment to equate these simple drawings with the rooms in which I lived.
“It’s amazing how many of these rooms we never use,” I said, joining Jace in pointing out what was what.  (Some were labeled, some were not.)  “Like this little parlor next to Imato’s room.  Though I suppose It’s not Imato’s room anymore.  And this…” I squinted a little to make out the slightly smudged label.  “Solarium?  We have a solarium?  I had completely forgotten anything was behind those doors.”
“There are two other sets here also,” Malia showed me.
Papa had just come in.  “Let’s file those away-- one with household accounts and one with books on architecture,” he told Malia.  He turned to me.  “I was wondering when you’d turn your attention to the solarium.  It’s a lovely view, if nothing else.  A wall of windows.”
“We’ll go look after lunch,” I said, labeling rooms on the plans.  “What shall we do with this set?”
“Mendel would probably enjoy them,” Jace put in.  We had been discussing finding something interesting for Mendel in return for all he did in helping you.
We quickly agreed to send them to you since we’ve no idea what Mendel’s student address would be.  I’ll put a note with them and send off the parcel.  Actually you’ve probably already received it as you read this.
(I am serious about sending Mendel a dog if he wants one.)
Later
It is possibly criminal that we haven’t been using the solarium.  It’s a beautifully situated room, with a full wall of windows facing east.
It is also completely empty.
I’m trying to think of it as a blank slate.
Aug. 28th
The furniture and carpets I purchased in Darse have arrived.  It’s a good thing the solarium is a blank slate, because I grossly overestimated the size of the parlor.
Aug. 29th
Carpentry?
Wow.
I don’t even know what to say to that…
I am glad you got Biology though.
While Jace was very serious about you doing anything you please to his old room, he is glad Taty didn’t talk you into painting it pink.
Jace had a rather lengthy description from Imato of the breeding and lineage of Gretel’s new horse.  Gretel’s letter simply said she likes him but may call him Rey, which Imato does not find dignified enough.
I can just see Imato studying a tree for hours.  I’m sure he picked the perfect branch.  Jace, of course, chose drift wood from the beach the day we were married.  For now it is on the mantle in our sitting room.
I don’t know quite what to say about Banquo’s story, though I think it entirely ridiculous to have to prove one’s self with some grand quest.  Banquo has more than proven himself in my eyes and I don’t see why Nuicui’s patience can’t be her own proving.  Heaven knows it’s not a trait everyone has.
Aug. 30th
“Beggin’ your pardon, Sir, but I was wonderin’ if I might be so bold as to have a moment’s conversation with Lady Keish,” I heard when Jace answered the knock at our sitting room door as we finished breakfast.
Jace laughed.  “Well it appears you are certainly bold enough,” he responded, giving a slight bow as he waved her into the room.
It was the maid.  She curtsied and I indicated that she should sit.  She hesitated, but did so.
“I’m sorry,” I said before she could speak, “I never did catch your name.”
“Cassandra, Milady, but you can call me Cass if you like.”
“Cass, then.  What can I do for you?”
“I have a request, Milady, and Mum said I should come straight to you with it.”
I must have looked slightly confused.
“I’m Marta’s daughter, Milady.”
“Oh!”  I’d had no idea, but now that she’d told me, I could see a resemblance.  It certainly explained Marta’s concern the day she broke the vase.  “Of course.  Please, continue.”
“Well, it seems you may be in need of someone to help with things in your school.  Someone who can run errands and clean up.  Maybe sort papers.  I can read,” she said proudly.  “And since Malia has other tasks as lady’s maid, but an upstairs maid is easily replaced…” Here her confidence faltered, but I got what she was saying.
“And you’d like to apply for such a position?”
“Yes, Milady,” she said, a little breathless.
Jace was smiling.  “I think it’s brilliant.”
I nodded.  “It certainly is.”  I wrote a quick note and handed it to her.  “Take this to Master Byra and let your mother know we will need a new upstairs maid.  You may, of course, maintain your quarters here.”
She took the note and curtseyed.  “Thank you, Milady.”  She turned back at the door.  “Oh, I nearly forgot!  Malia has already been to the classroom building, just to check on things, and wanted you to know that young Lord Viteri was hanging about again.  She went to get Ryland to keep an eye on him.”
I thanked her and she left.
“Caden Viteri is quickly becoming a thorn in my side,” I observed.
“I can’t think what he wants,” Jace said.  “He didn’t seem to have a strong opinion either way about the school.  I don’t like it, though.  I wish I didn’t have self defense to start. I don’t like you being alone the first morning.”
I laughed.  “I rather doubt the queen’s nephew is going to attack me on the palace grounds.”
“Maybe so, but I still don’t like it.”
I shrugged.  “He’s a bored youngest son in need of a hobby.  If it makes you feel better, though, I could activate Imato’s ward if he comes near me.  Should send him flying a few feet at least.”
Jace laughed.  “No I suppose we can’t have that,” he said.  He kissed me lightly and left to go spar, but stuck his head back in long enough to say, “Unless he does try to attack you.  Then by all means.”
I laughed.  I did believe what I’d told Jace.  Caden has never been a threat of any sort.  He doesn’t even trod on one’s toes dancing.
We grew up together-- as much as you could claim I grew up with anyone.  Which basically is to say he’s always been there and I’ve more or less avoided him.
It’s never been possible to entirely avoid him, of course, but I have made avoiding his ilk an art form.
For his part, he is an avid reader of the Palace Gazette, so I imagine he’s just hoping I’ll do something scandalous or amusing… preferably both.
I’d suspect him of writing the Gazette, but I think that level of imagination might be beyond him.
Personally, I’m just going to hope he finds a new distraction.
Sept. 1st
Yesterday was a blur of nervous energy, but classes have finally officially begun.  It was an interesting day.
My first class what at  eleven, so I went to my office at ten.  It’s so interesting having an official office.  Makes one feel so… professional.
Jace was already in the training yard warming up with Kaplan, who agreed to help him with demonstrations this week.
I had locked myself in (per Jace’s request-- even though there was no one about when I arrived) and so when it was nearly eleven I went to unlock the doors.
I had nine girls waiting for me-- as far as I could tell they were mostly tweenies.
There were also five boys.  I recognized most of them from the stables, but one wore a footman’s uniform.
The girls looked nervous, so I ushered them inside and turned to the boys.
The footman stepped forward.  “Begging your pardon, My Lady, but we would like to learn also,” he said softly.
I raised an eyebrow.  “All of you?”
The boys nodded.  “We haven’t had time for any real learnin’,” one spoke up shyly.
Cass had just arrived and cleared her throat nervously.  “Milady, propriety would dictate…” she trailed off, anticipating, I’m sure, my reaction.
I noticed Caden Viteri watching me.  Waiting to see what I would do.
“Propriety can go hang,” I said distinctly.
I ushered the boys in and asked them to sit in the back of the room.  “This is, technically, a girls’ school, but I’ll not turn away willing students.  That said, however, your presence here is, for now, probationary.  If you prove to be less-than-willing students your lessons will be at an end.  Have I made myself clear?”
“Very, My Lady,” said the young footman.  He seemed amused.
With that, we got down to business.  Cass collected everyone’s information and handed out a small reading primer to each person.
I stood at the chalk board, nervousness gone, and began my first lesson.
I think it went very well.  As did my other classes-- each of which had at least a couple of boys.  All in all, I was quite pleased.

Until I locked the door at the end of the day and turned around to find Caden Viteri right beside me.
“With all of the rumors that surround you  I should have thought you’d have more respect for propriety,” he said by way of greeting.
“And I’d have thought that with your family fortune and breeding you’d have better manners.  Today it seems we are both wrong,” I responded with my sweetest (and least sincere) smile.
“You’ve become quite popular.  That footman earlier was one of ours,” he informed me.
“I’ll try not to hold that against him,” I replied dryly.
I kept walking but Caden kept pace with me.  Luckily that was when Jace met us.
“Good first day, love?” he asked, kissing my cheek and rather pointedly ignoring Caden.
“I thought so, yes,” I answered, taking his hand.  “And you?  How did things go with Kaplan?”
Jace grimaced slightly.  “We may have overdone it today, I think, with four hour-long demonstrations, but I think most of the students had a chance to come by and watch.  We’ll do more Thursday and then spend next week on introductory safety information and rules.”
“You’re well-matched,” offered Caden, who was still walking with us.  “I watched an hour.  You’d have done well in the army.”
“No thanks,” Jace said.  His voice was casual, but I could tell he was hoping Caden would find somewhere else to be.  I was feeling rather the same way.
Thankfully, we reached the tower soon after that and Caden took his leave very properly.  As though he were actually a gentleman.  Ha.

I am happy but exhausted, Arri.
I hope your first day with Master Ujifil was as satisfying, but less tiring.

Love Always,

Keish

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!