CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- September 15, 2004


September 15, 2004
Dear Arri,
Of all the…. That he actually had the temerity to…
It is perhaps fortunate I do not live in Rousha.  Imato’s fist may have been the least of the man’s problems.  I can very well understand Imato and Uncle W.‘s fuming.  I’ve been fuming since reading your letter.
The situation has, however, made Jace quite thoughtful.  “It seems there would be a temporary means of transferring guardianship,” he said slowly.  “Something that would allow Imato and Arri to control a portion of the holdings without actually declaring Sir Quin insane.”  He thought for several more minutes, then left me in the sitting room to search out some books on the subject and, presumably, write to Imato.
Whether Jace finds another possible solution or not, I’d say a new financial advisor is certainly the first step to take.  I cannot help but wish that Uncle Quin could just be healed as soon as may be so as to avoid any legal entanglements whatever.  (That’s not to put pressure on you, Arri.  It’s just what we all want.)
I must say I’m impressed at Imato’s thoughtfulness.  Gretel must be exerting her usual good influence.  I doubt he’d have thought to include you in the discussion of finances even a month ago.

Your studies sound…… okay, they sound dreadfully dull.  I’m sorry, but I am fervently grateful that it is you with the gift of healing.  I would never have the patience to spend an afternoon watching myself breathe.  I attempted it briefly (though with the full knowledge that you see far more than I ever could as I looked down at my bodice) and lasted less than two minutes before I was driven to utter distraction.
Perhaps if you tell him about watching the magic enter our blood he won’t make you watch your veins for hours on end?
Speaking of the spell, Brynn has been here.  I know Adya is not directly on the way back to Rousha from Darius’ cave, but it was nice to see her.  Apparently my detailed letter about the spell was not detailed enough for she had several questions.   She has several for you also, I believe, and possibly Imato.  I imagine she’ll be back in Rousha by week’s end, since she stayed Monday and Tuesday to watch me teach.  Well, she sat in an hour with each of the other teachers also, but mostly she watched me.  I wasn’t sure if I should be nervous or flattered at the attention.
In addition to attention from Brynn, I continue to have far more attention than I wish from other quarters as well.
Not only does Caden Viteri persist in hanging about, but Jace is getting quite a lot of attention…. From students.  His astronomy course is nearly our best-attended class.
Now I’d like to think that this is because it is an interesting subject combined with a time most conducive to larger attendance.
I cannot, however, dismiss the idea that it is more because of the romance of starlight and a handsome teacher.
Certainly I find being with Jace by starlight romantic, but I’m not feeling very willing to share the indulgence.  I’m feeling decidedly possessive.
Which is why I’ve begun attending every astronomy lesson.  (Well, that and it is an interesting subject at a time conducive to my attending.)

Sept. 16th
Malia had me up before the sun this morning.
Wrapped in a dressing gown, I was dragged downstairs.
“Now, close your eyes, Mistress,” she said at the foot of the stairs.
I rolled them first, but did as she requested and allowed her to lead me.  A door opened and we stepped through.  Malia left my side and suddenly my hand was in Jace’s.
“You can open them now, love,” he said softly in my ear.
I did so and gasped.  The astonishing and beautiful room before me was rivaled only by the sight of the sun rising over Adya.
I had given the solarium over to Malia when the furniture I selected in Darse arrived.  Once it was clear the parlor would not hold it I threw up my hands and told Malia to put both rooms to right.
The result in the solarium is completely breathtaking.
The walls had been painted a pale lemony cream.  A large green and yellow carpet with leaf patterns was centered on the flagstones.  The trim around the doors was painted a matching green, as was all of the molding.  The doors were a darker rich yellow-- the color of butter.  A long backless sofa sat against the wall between the doors and the matching chaise lounges I’d picked out in Darse were set at angles near the doors.
As the sun rose and lit the room the effect was so warm and cheerful that it may be my new favorite room.  I cannot wait to show you when you next visit.

Sept. 17th
Jace came into lunch looking disgruntled.
“Everything alright?” I asked.
He sighed.  “I wish people would stop calling me ‘Lord Jace’.  Or worse, ‘Lord Pren’.  While I may be the luckiest man in the world to have married you, it didn’t make me a lord.  Master Pren is more appropriate.  I‘m certainly no more than Master Pren to anyone in Rousha.”
(My breath caught a little at his words.  To hear such words spoken so sincerely… never settle for anything less, Arri.)
“True as that may be, titles are a little more flexible in Arella.  You may technically be Master Pren, but you married into the Brio family which, while an Elcaran family, is still a highly respected name and the Leilani family, which is one of the oldest families in Arella.  When people call you Lord it is out of respect for the families… and respect for you.”
He sighed again.  “I suppose.  It makes me uncomfortable, though.”
I laughed.  “Something I’ve been saying for years.”
He laughed as well.  “Point taken.  I suppose I’ll survive it if you have.”

Sept. 20th
“Do you have a purpose?” I asked in frustration this afternoon as I left the classroom building to find Caden Viteri once again leaning against the wall outside.  “In being here?  In life generally?”
“Of course not, Milady.  I am merely a youngest son, after all.”  He said it with a smile and a mocking bow, but there was a bitterness in his voice.
I rolled my eyes.  “I am decidedly out of patience with people who choose to conform to society’s expectations and then complain of them.”
He chuckled.  “Well, I suppose my purpose used to be entertaining Euan and keeping him out of trouble, but the newlyweds have little use for a bachelor like me.  I understand I have you to thank for his becoming betrothed to the most insipid young lady at court while I spent a year with my sister’s family?  You and Gretel nee Aoweir, no doubt.”
I shrugged.  “Euan needed… a distraction.”
“Yes, but Vanessa Melchoir?  Why?  Aside from the fact that they probably deserve each other.”  This was apparently meant to be rhetorical, because he didn’t give me a chance to answer.  “I’ve seen his painting of you, though.  It’s good.”
I raised an eyebrow skeptically.
He laughed.  “Well I could tell it was you, at least.”
I gave a brief groan.  “I’d rather hoped to be unrecognizable,” I muttered.
Suddenly he was serious.  “I am sorry about that.”
I was thoroughly confused.  “You weren’t even here.”
“I know.  If I had been I could have talked him out of it.  I’d done so before.”
He was so earnest that I tried not to laugh, but I couldn’t help it.
Jace met us in the garden then.  He smiled as he took my hand.  “Has Lord Viteri been telling jokes?”
“Oh, you’re just in time.  Caden is about to regale us with tales of the young ladies he’s rescued by talking Euan out of his schemes.”
We looked at Caden expectantly.
He cleared his throat.  “Ah yes.  Well actually, I only interfered if the lady involved… was you.”
Jace went very still beside me.
Caden noticed and gave a rueful chuckle.  “You’ve nothing to fear from me, Lord Pren,” he said very softly.  He continued in a more normal voice, “Still, it was shockingly inappropriate of me to say.  I must make it up to you.  Perhaps in the training yard?  I understand Kaplan is unavailable this week.  I know when I’m out of my league,” his eyes flicked to me briefly, “but years of letting Euan beat me must have taught me something.”
Jace’s eyes narrowed thoughtfully.  After a moment he nodded.  “Be there at 2:30.”
Caden looked relieved as he made his bow and left us.

Why would he say such a thing, Arri?  Shockingly inappropriate, indeed!  The implications… No, they don’t even bear thinking about.
Possibly even more disturbing, though, is the question of how much more would I have been subjected to Euan’s company had Caden not interfered?

I do hope your first week of classes was exciting, productive, and far less obfuscating.

Love Always,

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!