CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- September 22, 2004


September 22, 2004
Dear Arri,
I cornered Caden in between my classes today.
“Why would you say such a thing?”
He groaned, holding his side as he turned to me.  “I’ve just had another beating at the hands of your husband.  Must we talk about this now?”
I glared at him.
He sighed.  “Of course we must.  I only spoke the truth, Lady Keish, though I must say I’m beginning to regret having done so.”
“But why?”
“Ah, the most ubiquitous of questions.  Why did I interfere, you mean?”  He studied the ground for a moment before looking me straight in the eye.  “Because I couldn’t bear the thought of you falling in love with him and losing everything that made you unique.”
I furrowed my brow.
Caden sighed again.  “And you reminded me of my sister.”
I gave him an incredulous look.  “The Duchess of…”
His snort cut me off.  “Not Annaleis.”  His voice softened.  “Cambria.”
My eyes widened.  “I’m sorry.  I had forgotten,” I said softly.
He shook his head.  “It was a long time ago.  But we had a dancing class together not long afterward and you reminded me so strongly of her.  I liked to think you would have been friends.  And as we’ve grown up I’ve thought… she’d have grown up a lot like you have.  Which would have made me a very proud twin brother.”  His eyes were moist.
“Thank you,” I said sincerely.
He shrugged.  “Just the truth, Milady.”
I cocked my head to one side.  “Have you told Jace this?”
He laughed.  “Of course.  Not sure it would have been safe in the training yard with him otherwise.  As I said, I know when I’m out of my league.  Letting Euan beat me never required much diligence in training on my part.”
I snorted.  “Hardly surprising.”
I had to teach my next class, but it was certainly food for thought.  I didn’t really interact with the other children unless I had to and so did not know Cambria Viteri well.  And then, of course, she was sick for so many months.  I wonder if we would have become friends.
Certainly not an explanation for Caden’s behavior that I could have guessed.  I’m not at all sure it explains why he’s hanging around, though.

“I remind him of his sister,” I said without preamble to Jace later in the day.
“Apparently so,” he replied, kissing my forehead before taking a seat near mine.
“You didn’t say anything.”
He shrugged.  “I thought it would be best to hear from him.”
“He looked a bit bruised today,” I commented, suppressing a grin.
Jace gave a short chuckle.  “I’ve been going easy on him.  Is Prince Euan so terrible in the yard?  I take back anything I ever said or implied about Caden Viteri being a threat.  You’d be a match for him without magic.”
I laughed.
“He is getting a little better, though,” Jace said kindly.
“Will you keep him as an assistant, then?”
Jace shook his head.  “No.  In fact, I’m meeting Sir Aoweir tomorrow to discuss a rotating schedule of squires and soldiers under his command.  It’s all well and good to have a novice early on, but eventually Caden would end up getting hurt.”
“You’re getting to like him, aren’t you?”
Jace grinned ruefully.  “I confess I am.  Rather in spite of myself.  There may be more to him than first meets the eye.  If nothing else, I suppose I do owe him for keeping you out of Euan’s clutches.”
I tried to look indignant.  “As though any amount of scheming would have ever induced me to …”
Jace silenced me rather effectively.  I don’t think he believed I was ever in danger of falling in love with Euan any more than I believe it myself.

Sept. 25th
I am appalled that Master Ujifil thinks it’s possible for you to slow down.  What a terrifying thought.
I think Literature sounds like the course I’d be most interested in.  I’m highly curious as to what literature he deemed inappropriate for you, but not for the young men enrolled.  I’ll have to ask Jace.  If he won’t tell me, I’ll ask Caden.  It’s unlikely he’ll have any scruples about telling me such things.

Jace has come in now and saw the above.
“It wouldn’t be fair of me to unleash you on Caden,” he muttered.  Then he explained that several of the texts were likely historical accounts written by soldiers and one could never vouch for their language.
I think it seems like rather a lot of bother over some soldierly prose, but there is sometimes no accounting for men and their various forms of protectiveness.

Dr. Kondamuri is a puzzle.  You’d think he was a staunch supporter of women’s education and yet he sounds rather condescending.  You’ve always been good with numbers.  I’m sure you’ll set him right quickly.

I am glad Mendel enjoyed the blueprints.  I’m sure they are nothing as complex as the others in his collection, but as long as he still finds them interesting, I suppose.
I have let all of the classes know that I am in search of a small dog with as mixed a lineage as is possible.  Be assured that this announcement was met with great amusement.  I expect the Gazette will have gotten wind of it by Monday-- should be interesting to see what they make of it.

I received a note from Imato asking if I could write out the bit he was missing, but I can’t.  I had the same trouble when I tried to write the spell out for Brynn.  Even with all of my notes I couldn’t do it.

Jace says he expects a letter from Taty any day now begging to let them borrow Malia.  He says that having gotten her way with his old room, Taty is certain to try “taking over” the rest of the house also.   Of course, being Jace, he says it with a smile.
“You realize if it were anyone but you she’d certainly try to lure Malia into my family’s employ,” he added with a grin.
I snorted.  “Frankly I think once she realizes Malia’s brilliance her loyalty will be severely tested.  No, she’ll just have to wait until we can visit.  I’m not letting her at Malia without me there.”
I may give Malia a raise in pay while I’m at it.  Just to be safe.

I’m beginning to think Caden is far less trouble than he appears.  I think it’s a persona he cultivates carefully.  Rather like Mendel, I suppose.  Confusing, indeed.

Sept. 27th
I had no fewer than five students today clamoring that they’d found the perfect dog.  And so, being the dutiful person I am, I spent every break looking at puppies.
Two litters I had to dismiss out of hand as the size of the mother indicated the puppies would quickly exceed the weight limit.   (Which is really too bad.  One was a litter of fox terriers mixed with something called a husky.  The result was highly amusing.)
A third litter was simply too boring.  The breeding was hardly mixed at all-- perhaps two breeds of terrier.  (Well, the owner promised me that there were 3 breeds of terrier involved, plus basenji, but they just looked like terriers.)
I had a terrible time deciding between the other two.
After explaining to both owners that I had to think about it further, and tipping all five students handsomely for their prompt discoveries, I returned home to ask Jace’s opinion.
As neither litter is old enough to leave their respective mothers, Jace is going to go with me tomorrow to see them.

When I returned to my office after I’d seen all the dogs there were to see, Caden was waiting outside.  Waiting for what, I don’t know, but I was having none of it.
“Oh good, make yourself useful for a change and find me as many copies of the Gazette as you can,” I ordered as I passed him.
“The Gazette, Lady Keish?”
“You read it devotedly enough, I imagine you could find several older copies for my classes.  The dates don’t matter, just bring whatever you can find.”  I entered my office without bothering to see what he made of that.  If he’s going to hang about, he may as well be useful.
I may have underestimated his devotion to the Gazette.  Within an hour he returned with over a dozen copies for me.  If he’s capable of that kind of efficiency in other areas, I may just continue allowing him to hang about.

Sept. 28th
I have acquired two dogs.  Or rather, I will be acquiring them.
Earlier Jace and I ventured out to see the two litters of pups.
The first was a mixture that we were assured was mainly various spaniels and terriers.  Every puppy looks a different, so I’m sure there are several breeds involved.
The second litter was something called a shar pei combined with beagle, which I know isn’t as many breeds as Mendel would prefer but they were simply too cute to dismiss out of hand.
Jace took one look at me holding one of them and laughed.  “I’d say the solution is simple.  Get Mendel a spaniel/terrier and choose one of these for yourself.”
And so, in about another week, I will have another puppy.  I don’t know how Zest will react, but she’s generally happy about everything, so I’m not concerned.   Blaze’s reaction is another matter entirely.

When Mendel’s puppy can leave it’s mother, I’ll send it with a footman.  I’ve no earthly idea why Papa decided to acquire a pair of footmen, but this will give one of them something to do, at least.
I expect it will be about ten days plus travel time, so you can tell Mendel it will be the second week in October or so.

I’ll need a name for the puppy, but as I haven’t decided which of the litter I want, it will have to wait.

The Gazette is liable to announce I’m starting some sort of zoo.  At least, one hopes it’s something that interesting.  The story Tuesday about my search for a mutt was entirely unimaginative.  Very disappointing.  If one is going to be the center of rumors it is vastly preferable that they at least be intriguing rumors.

Love Always

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!