CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- October 7, 2004


October 7, 2004
Dear Arri,
Jace received an express letter from Taty just now.  I do not yet know who or why, but from the look on his face, someone is in for it.
I have seen Jace upset.  I have seen him offended on my behalf.  I have seen him furious as he defended me with a blade.  But I do not believe I have ever seen the cold fury that has descended upon him as he reads Taty’s letter.

I am sure I need not explain the letter to you now that it has been explained to me.  Certainly you are well aware of what went into all seven tear-stained pages.
I don’t believe the height of Master Calibri’s impropriety (really what was he thinking?) has as much to do with Jace’s anger as the fact that the “insolent pup” had the audacity to make his little sister cry.
I’ve always known Jace to be protective.  Heaven knows I’ve listened to him mutter on about young men and their attentions to Taty.  It takes quite a lot, however, to make Taty cry and Jace may never forgive him.
Jace never broods, and yet that’s exactly what he has spent the afternoon doing.
He has also written to Imato.  I couldn’t talk him out of it.  And it is certain that Imato will pay a visit to Master Calibri if Jace asks him to.  Having listened to Imato mutter for months about Phyfe, I could almost feel badly for Master Calibri… but only almost.  (If Jace and Imato were able to pay him a visit together I possibly would feel badly for him, though.)
I don’t think Taty will be hearing any more from him.
Oct. 14th
I was very grateful to be able to show Jace your letter after his classes today to prove to him that Taty is recovering well.  He’s been out of sorts since last week.
I do not know why plants need light to grow, only that they need it in differing amounts.  I am glad, however, that you love biology since I imagine many of your courses will be similar to it.
I would vastly prefer battle ballads to love ballads, personally.  Either way, it is interesting to try and sort out what is true and what is not… perhaps we’ll discuss that in my more advanced reading class… in regards to the Gazette.
I have decided that I do not like Dr. Kondamuri in the least.  What audacity to treat you that way!  Arrogant indeed.
Jace says he knows Master Allbox’s older brother and as far as he knows they are a very good family.  Hopefully having one for an ally will help.
I’m sure your coffee table looks very well.  I am glad you can use magic, though.  I’m sure I couldn’t build anything without it!

I’m glad Master Ujifil has finally given you something less dull to do.  With any luck he’ll continue to do so.  Sooner rather than later, preferably.

If Mendel hasn’t gotten his puppy today, I’m sure he will tomorrow.  I had intended to get him a male, but she was just so irrepressible that she was obviously the right choice for Mendel.
My puppy will come home in a few more days, being younger than Mendel‘s.  I’ve finally picked one, after visiting the mother and litter four more times.  He is entirely irresistible.  I still need to decide on a name.  I haven’t even narrowed it down.

I’m glad you all enjoyed the symphony and I’m overjoyed that Taty is so much more herself.  Jace received another (non-tear-stained) letter a few days ago, but the tone was still melancholy.
For what it’s worth, Corey Gray causes much less muttering on Jace’s part than any other young man thus far.

I wish you excellent marks on your midterms.  Since our school is still an experiment in so many ways we have decided to forego midterms for now.  I’m not looking forward to having to write them… or grade them… when we do decide to give them.
Of course, we will have to have some sort of end of term exam, but I still have time to think about that.

I think I will not sent this letter for a few more days.  It is very short and if I wait I can include a proper sketch and such of my puppy.

Oct. 16th
Why is it that just when I settle in to a nice calm routine something happens to turn it on its head?
Jace and I were spending a relaxing morning in the library…
“Are you at home to visitors this morning, My Lady?” Brooksby asked very seriously from the doorway.
I was so shocked that he was addressing me directly that I almost couldn’t respond.
“Well we are certainly at home at any rate,” Jace said in amusement.
“Who is here, Brooksby?” I asked, wondering who on earth could be asking for me that would require such formality.  Or that would use the main entrance for that matter.
He walked toward me, holding out a calling card.
“Lord Brinden Leilani, Marquis of Leilan,” I read rather incredulously.  “He never comes to Adya; he sends his steward.”
Brooksby cleared his throat in that aggravating manner that somehow manages to be both deferential and patronizing.  “His Lordship and Lady Dameka.  I’ve asked them to wait a moment in the salon.  The children, with their nurse, are in the morning room.”
“Heavens, the whole family’s come?  Whatever can my cousin be about-- visiting without warning when we’ve never so much as met?”
“Your first cousin once removed, My Lady, has asked for you specifically,” Brooksby said in a tone that was both disapproving and incredulous while still being proper.  (How do butlers do that anyway?)
“Tell them we’ll be down momentarily, then, Brooksby,” I directed.  Once he was gone I straightened my gown and noted that I was probably not looking poorly for receiving visitors.  Surprisingly.  “What can they want, asking for me specifically?”
“Maybe they want Brooksby back and thought they’d sound you out before going to your father,” Jace suggested mischievously.
I rolled my eyes.
I felt a little trepidation as we descended the stairs.  I’ve never met Papa’s family, really.  The Leilanis are such an old, established family and have a strong tradition (if you can call it that) of having only one or two children per generation.  (In that regard the current Marquis is an absolute rebel-- he already has three.)  As a result, they almost never come to court.  The family is even older than the king’s and they just can’t be bothered to come to Adya.  That’s what they employ a steward for.
I invited them to my wedding, of course, but it was a small affair, on short notice, and they didn’t attend.
That they were here now-- the entire family-- and asking for me seemed… impossible.  Or at least exceedingly unlikely.
Brooksby was waiting for us outside the salon.  As he opened the doors I hoped briefly that it wasn’t obvious how little the room sees any use.  “Lord Jace Pren and Lady Lakeisha Pren,” Brooksby intoned as we entered the room.  Not technically proper etiquette perhaps, announcing us in our own home, but as he was the only person present acquainted with all parties, I felt somewhat grateful.
My cousin turned from the window with his wife.  He looks a bit like Papa, I suppose.  Or at least, what Papa must have looked like when he was younger.  Dark auburn hair and meticulously elegant clothes.  His wife was a petite woman with rich chestnut hair and an understated but, I’m sure, shockingly expensive traveling dress.
We all made very proper bows and curtseys and Brooksby left to procure a tea tray.
“Please, sit down,” I told them.  Jace and I sat on one of the sofas and they sat on the other.
“Thank you for seeing us, Lady Pren,” my cousin began.
I stopped him.  “Keish will be fine,” I said.  “And I wasn’t likely to turn away family was I?  No matter how unexpected the visit, we’re delighted to have you.  I do hope you will stay with us-- there’s plenty of room.”
Dameka demurred.  “We have a town home here in Adya,” she said quietly.  I got the feeling she does everything quietly.
“That hasn’t been used… Ever?”  I directed this at Brinden.  I knew the steward never stays there.
“Well, your father used it before marrying, I believe,” he answered.  “But the servants will get it opened and aired out quickly, I’m sure.  We haven’t employed staff there of late, but we’ll get some on loan before leaving the palace.”
The man obviously had no idea what it would take to air out rooms that have been closed up for years.  I wondered if the place was even inhabitable.
“Nonsense,” I replied firmly.  “You must stay here.  I insist upon it.  There’s not a nursery, it’s true, but there are adjoining guest rooms that would do quite nicely.”
Since I’d given them no choice, really, they graciously accepted.  Dameka looked grateful-- I don’t think she was looking forward to seeing the town home really, let alone staying there.
Brooksby came in with the tray and I sent him to get rooms prepared.  His face revealed nothing, but I’m sure he was torn between joy at the chance to serve his previous master and mistress and horror at their staying in such close proximity to me.
“Now then, with that settled, may I ask what brings you to Adya?” I asked, pouring the tea.
Brinden seemed somewhat uncomfortable and finally Dameka spoke.  “Actually it’s about Keaton.”
“Keaton?” Jace asked.
“Our oldest,” Brinden answered with obvious pride.
I felt something odd.  A sense of… something had been growing from the moment we entered the room and it was becoming very distracting.  I tried to follow what was being said.
“He’s ten,” Dameka told me.  “Very proper and well-behaved, but lately…” she seemed unsure how to continue.
Brinden picked up where she left off.  “Lately strange things have been happening.  We’re concerned about him.  We don’t know any magicians but what’s happening isn’t… natural.”
I raised an eyebrow.  “Are you saying you think your son has been… cursed?”
Dameka made a small noise and Brinden looked at the floor.  “We didn’t know who else to ask.”
The strange sensation I’d been feeling suddenly came into sharp focus and I nearly sprang to my feet.  “Do you mean strange things like levitating tea trays?” I asked, moving towards the door.
“But how did you…” I heard Dameka say as Jace followed me out of the room.
Brinden and Dameka caught up to us just as I opened the door to the morning room.
Inside were three amused children, a very nervous nurse and a tea tray floating level with my shoulder.
I grabbed the tray firmly, physically and magically, and returned it to its proper place.  I studied each of the children as they were presented to us.
Charissa, the youngest, is a cute slightly plump child of about four with a slightly upturned nose that made her look mischievous even as she executed a disturbingly precise curtsey.  Her dress was possibly the frilliest mass of lace I’ve ever seen.
Bryent looked to be about six-- with a sweet face and unruly hair that I could tell caused the nurse to despair.  She tried to pat it down after he’d made his bow.
Keaton, dressed in a neat imitation of his father, bowed stiffly to us.  I narrowed my eyes as the tea tray wobbled.  The boy caught my look and the tray stopped.
I studied him a moment and smiled.  I was about the speak when I saw Dameka’s nervous glance at the younger children.  It seemed silly not to talk in front of them after they’d just seen the tea tray fly, but instead I said, “I wonder if you would come to the salon with us.”
Keaton’s eyebrows raised slightly, but he gave another perfect bow and followed us back to the other room.
Dameka sat with him on the sofa while Jace rang for a maid to remove the abandoned tea trays from both rooms.
“Dameka, may I ask your maiden name?  And your mother’s?”
I don’t think she’s used to being addressed so informally.  She looked confused by my questions.  “Colwyn.  And my mother’s was Timar.”
I nodded thoughtfully.  “That could explain it.  The Timar line has been known to have magic.  It’s an offshoot of the Cledara family.”
“I don’t understand,” Brinden said stiffly.
I sighed, trying to decide how to explain it.  “The Leilani family’s magic is old, so old it’s unknown.  It’s probably always been there, but always dormant.  The Timar family, however, has some active magic.  Not every child has it-- I believe it even skips several generations at a time-- but the potential is there.  The two must have… sparked.”  I couldn’t think of a better word for it.  "Your son isn’t cursed.  He has innate magic.”
They both looked stricken.  I got the impression that they weren’t sure that wasn’t a curse in and of itself.
“Why are these things happening?  Are you saying he’s making them happen?” Dameka asked.
Keaton looked at the floor.
I shrugged.  “I don’t know that it’s conscious, really.  When I was five my stuffed dragon toy flew around the room for an hour before my mother came in and stopped it.  I hadn’t intended to make it fly-- I had just been thinking about it and it suddenly happened.”
She didn’t look comforted.
Keaton looked intrigued, and concerned, but mostly very tired.
Jace noticed.  “I’m sure you must all be exhausted.  You must have traveled nearly all week to get here.  Why don’t you all rest and we can discuss this more at dinner.”  He rang for Brooksby.  “Just ask Brooksby or Marta if there’s anything you need.  They can arrange for trays whenever you are ready for lunch.”
As Brooksby helped them to collect their children I headed up the stairs to cast a couple of quick wards over the guest rooms.  Jace, following me, raised an eyebrow.
“Just a precaution,” I said to his unasked question.
Once we were safely in our sitting room I threw myself across the chaise and closed my eyes.  Keaton had been trying to levitate half the objects in the salon.  No wonder he looked tired.
“Keaton will need training, I presume,” Jace said, sitting by me.
“Like you would not believe.  Sitting in the salon with him was like a tug-of-war with someone who has no concept of the rules of the game.  The tea tray was more or less on purpose, I think, but he doesn’t know how he did it really.  It was all I could do to explain things to his parents while muffling burst after burst of half-formed magic.”
“Should be an enthusiastic student then,” Jace said with a grin.
I blew out my breath.  “Maybe.  He’s a bright child-- he noticed his parents’ reaction.”
Jace nodded.  “Yes, I suppose it will be hard for them to get used to the idea.”
“Which will doubtless impede his progress.  I wish I knew what to suggest.  I may have to write to Brynn and ask about suitable tutors.”
Jace reached over and began rubbing my shoulders.  “You’ll think of something.”  After a moment he stood.  “I’ll go inform your father we have houseguests.”
“Won’t he be surprised.”

I have been thinking and writing this ever since and there’s only one conclusion I can come to-- Keaton should stay here and I’ll tutor him myself.
I have no idea how his parent’s will respond to this idea.

Later
Well dinner was certainly interesting.
Because of our guests it was a far more formal affair than normal.  Cook was thrilled.
While we were dressing for dinner I told Jace I thought Keaton should stay with us.
“Of course he should,” he said with a smile.  “And if we’d laid money on it, your father would owe me.”
I stared at him. “You and Papa were betting on whether or not I’d decide to tutor Keaton myself?”  Really the two of them are incorrigible.
“Well, not exactly.  I was sure you would, but your father wasn’t sure enough you wouldn’t to lay a wager.”
I shook my head.  “Unbelievable.  I hope that means, though, that you aren’t opposed to the idea.”
“Not at all, love,” Jace replied, putting his arms around me.  “It’s the best solution.  Besides, I miss Liop,” he added with a mischievous grin.
I laughed.  “Well I’m not sure how much like Liop Keaton is, but I suppose we’ll find out.  If Brinden and Dameka agree.”
“They did come to you for help,” Jace pointed out.  “That must mean something.”

We went down to the salon to find Papa in his element.  He really is the perfect host when he is of a mind to play the part.  He had made our guests comfortable, as though they visited regularly.  I was grateful, because this was going to be a difficult enough discussion.
We went into dinner and I was a paragon of patience.  I waited through two full courses of polite chatter and social gossip before giving Papa a significant look.
“Jace has been telling me about young Keaton,” Papa began tactfully.  “A very talented child, I hear.  I can tell you with some authority that you never forget the first time your child levitates the tea tray.  Keisha nearly scared the wits out of her nurse.”
Dameka and Brinden were both looking like they would very much like to forget.
Jace was laughing.  “I didn’t think Keish ever had a nurse to terrorize.”
“Oh, she didn’t last long,” Papa replied.
I rolled my eyes and gave Papa another look.
“Well then, arrangements must be made, certainly,” he said.
“Arrangements?” Dameka asked timidly.
“Testing and then tutoring is the general course,” Papa said in a brisk, business-like fashion.  “Unless the testing has been done?”  He raised an eyebrow at me and I shook my head.  “No, I suppose he was tired from the trip.”  With a glance at Brinden and Dameka he left the rest unsaid, though Papa realized as well as I that the magic Keaton had performed would have drained him.  After terrifying my nurse with the tea tray, I had slept for 18 hours.  (By the time I woke up she had given notice and left.)
“I don’t know… That is, we’re not sure…” Brinden began slowly.
“It won’t stop,” I said quietly.  “And eventually someone will get hurt.  Most likely Keaton.”
The color drained from Dameka’s face.  “Are you certain?”
I nodded.
Brinden cleared his throat.  “What do you suggest then?”
I took a deep breath.  “Actually, I think Keaton should stay here.  I can tutor him myself.”
I wouldn’t have thought Dameka could get any more pale, but she did.  “For how long?”  Her voice was barely a whisper.
“I couldn’t say for certain.  It’s different with every child.  With this kind of a flare, though, training is the only option.  Once he can fully control it, it will be up to him what to do with it.  Until then, though, I think it would be best for him to be here.”
Brinden was looking to Papa, whether for reassurance or in hope of a different answer, I wasn’t sure.
“I agree with Keisha,” Papa said gently.
Brinden blew out his breath sharply.  “Well, I suppose there should be a writ of temporary guardianship.  And of course a sum settled for you to use at your discretion.  His other subjects must not be neglected, after all, and there’s room and board…”  He was directing all of this to Papa, but trailed off when Papa began to laugh.
“No, Nephew, I am far to old to take on a young ward.  Keish and Jace are adults; sort it out with them.  They’ll make excellent guardians.”
Brinden seemed flustered by this, but turned to Jace to make arrangements.
Jace, for his part, seemed rather amused by the direct attention.  After all, this was my family and I was to be the one tutoring Keaton.  I suppose discussing legal arrangements with me did not occur to my cousin.
By this time we had finished dessert, however, so Dameka and I left them to their efficiency and retired to the salon, which I simply must set Malia to redoing next.  With the pale blue and white the effect is positively artic.  It made me want to offer Dameka a blanket and she seemed to huddle on the sofa.
“You’ll take care of him?” she asked quietly, staring at me.
I sat down and put an arm around her.  She stiffened but didn’t pull away.  “I will.  As will Jace.  He’s wonderful with children, really.  My cousin Liop loves him dearly.”  As I went on about Liop, describing his pranks and his closeness to Jace, she relaxed visibly.  By the time Papa, Jace and Brinden joined us, she was composed.
Since the men had made what arrangements they could at that time of night, the conversation turned back to mundane things until we were ready to part ways, either for bed or the observatory.
I stopped Dameka as she and Brinden approached the stairs.  “I’d like to test the other children as well, if I may.  It may not tell us anything, but I may be able to get a sense of whether this is likely to happen again.”
Dameka had gone completely still as I spoke, but she nodded once, sharply.
I let it go at that and Jace and I bid them goodnight.

And so it seems, Arri, that in addition to the puppy I will bring home Monday, I have acquired a ten-year-old ward.  Tomorrow Jace and Brinden will do whatever paperwork is necessary while I test all three children.
It should be an interesting day.

While I would never wish boredom on you, I do hope your weekend has not been quite this interesting.

Love Always,

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!