CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- October 30, 2004


October 30, 2004
Dear Arri,
Keaton is completely unfamiliar with guising.  Apparently they don’t do it in Leilan.  Or more likely “well brought up” children don’t do it.  I find that criminal.
We’ve spent the week talking about it and today we will take him out to the festival market.  And find him a costume, of course.
I don’t think he’s entirely sure what to make of it all.  I don’t think he believes we intend to carve lanterns out of gourds at all, but he’ll see.  We’ll find him the perfect mask today and then come home and carve our lanterns.
If it hadn’t been for Caden Viteri asking him the other day if he had his mask yet, I think Keaton would think we’d made all of it up.
I haven’t had this much fun for All Hallow’s in years.  Jace and I are even attending a masquerade tonight.  Malia and I chose three gowns that would each be perfect so I’ll look for a mask for myself to match one of them.  I believe Jace and Ryland intend to start with the mask and then choose clothing from there.  Really, though, menswear is so much simpler.

I haven’t tried doing anything more with Keaton magically, though I gave him a book of simple spells to read over.  They don’t really do much, but are more a way to learn control.  It’s a starting point at least.

Later
I return flush with triumph.  Not only does Keaton finally understand guising and lanterns, but Jace and I found an absolutely perfect pair of masks for tonight.  I’m including sketches, if only so you can see how perfectly we matched.  I think the hats make them, personally.
Keaton also picked an interesting mask-- with masses of “hair”.  He looks positively wild wearing it.  Which is, of course, the whole point.

Oct. 31st
Last night was simply brilliant.  Jace and I were both turned out to perfection and the dancing was wonderful.
At one point, when we were sitting at one of the little tables sampling refreshments, a man in nearly a full face mask came over and made a small bow.  “May I borrow the lovely lady for a dance?” he asked Jace.  “Even if I am out of my league?”
I think Jace knew it was Caden even without him saying that.  Jace laughed.  “I wouldn’t presume to answer for the lady.”
Caden turned fully to me and bowed again.  I rolled my eyes a little, but allowed him to lead me out to the floor.
“You look stunning, if I may say so,” Caden said.  “The matching masks are an interesting touch.”
I stepped on his foot.  “And you… are you a tree or just a leaf?”  My voice was light and mocking to match his, but I did find his mask interesting.  It was like a large bronzed leaf.  I’ll send for a sketch of it to include in this letter.
He laughed.  “You don’t recognize the lord of autumn?”
I made a show of looking around us.  “Oh?  Where?”
He laughed again and at the end of the dance bowed yet again and delivered me back to Jace.  Before leaving us he leaned in close to me.  “Euan may come this way, but I’ll try to head him off.  You won’t be able to miss him-- his mask is a ridiculous mass of peacock feathers.”
Jace frowned as Caden left.  He didn’t like the idea of Euan coming our way any more than I did.
Either Caden was wrong or he efficiently kept Euan away, though, because I only caught a glimpse of him from across the room.  Thankfully.
Jace and I danced until three in the morning and slept terribly late this morning.  Marta and Malia helped Keaton with some sort of robe to go with his mask.  I am told it’s quite a sight.  I suppose I’ll see for myself this evening.  Jace is going to take him guising but I’ll see them off.  I think Jace is nearly as excited as Keaton.

Nov. 2nd
It seems there is an unexpected and incredibly helpful side effect to having Keaton as our ward.  Brooksby has been watching our interactions as closely as propriety allows and apparently has begun to revise his opinion of me.  Suddenly it is incredibly easy to find the man.  He seems to simply appear when I have a question about household accounts or some similar issue.
For my part, I’m beginning to understand why it is actually useful to have a butler.

Nov. 4th
I think I’ve finally hit upon a better way to start Keaton controlling his magic.
I had an incredibly vivid dream last night-- a memory of my mother helping me to control what I levitated and for how long.  I suppose it was a memory, but I was only five, so I imagine my gift of divination played into it.  (Having the dream, not the levitation itself.)
Mother would have me fold paper birds and then make them fly.  It was a game-- how high could I make the bird fly?
I think it will work with Keaton.  He’s older than I was, obviously, but hopefully that will just mean he’s better at the paper folding than I was.  It can be a strengthening exercise too, perhaps Liop would like it.
I’ve a full schedule again today, but we’ll try it tomorrow.

Nov. 5th
Well, most of Keaton’s attempts were clumsy (the flying, not the folding-- he proved quite adept at the folding) but he did finally get one to fly.  Thor and Chewy were thrilled at all of the paper to chase around the room.
I’ve decided, since I still hadn’t gotten my parlor situated, that it will be a magic study.  For now, that means I’ve had the room emptied of all but a simple table and chairs-- and pillows, one can always use pillows-- and it is where Keaton and I will continue to have our sessions.  In the future I may make it a proper study for my magical pursuits.  It would not be a terrible thing to have my magical texts separated from the rest of the library.  Plus I could lock it well when Liop visits.

Nov. 9th
Jace is very concerned about Master Allbox.  He’s making some discreet inquiries, but thinks you should certainly avoid him, especially given his latest behavior.  I’ve told Jace to be careful what he tells Imato, but he refuses to make any promises until he has more information.

Of course you should all come for Christmas.  Papa was discussing inviting Jace’s family as there are several particularly interesting astronomical events during the week after Christmas this year.  We’ll make a house party of it.

I should think you’d have to take more courses similar to Biology, wouldn’t you?  To study medicine, I mean.

I am highly amused by Mendel’s venture into the world of philosophy.  Jace laughed for a long time after I read that part to him.  I don’t think Mendel is cut out to be a philosopher either.

I’m sorry Liop wasn’t more help as a translator.  Tish says if you can’t get any equipment that she can make arrangements.  She would also be willing to provide you with a better translation of the article if you would tell me the volume or edition so that she can look it up.
As to what spell you could put on bacteria… could you put some sort of ward around them?  Would that be like the barrier in the article, maybe?

I wish I could have seen Liop as a winged lion.  Keaton’s costume was just as wild as I was told it would be, but it did not have wings.

I take offense at what Master Allbox seems to imply about liberated women.  Jace says he is absolutely certain that Queen Elspeth would take offense and from there begins to darkly proclaim what would have befallen Master Allbox if he had actually persuaded you to attend his party.

I wish you could have algebra from another teacher.  It is almost as if Kondamuri wanted to see you fail spectacularly to make a point.  We have had people like that here in regards to our school and they are the most vexing types of people.  I much prefer those that voice their opposition immediately.  It’s so much more honest.  I have no patience for this back-handed attempt at sabotage.
Well, you’ll show him.  You’re too good at math not to.
If he attempts to falsify your grades, though, I hope you’ll go straight to the dean and/or the queen.  Perhaps both together.  To treat a student dishonestly is reprehensible.

Good luck.  Stay away from Allbox.  I don’t know any curses I could perform from here, but you can be sure I would be willing to learn some if he doesn’t leave you alone.

Love Always,

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!