CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- November 12, 2004


November 12, 2004
Dear Keish,

Well we had our first big snow storm of the season this week. Liop had high hopes of classes being cancelled, but it takes a full blown blizzard to cancel class in Rousha. It was bad enough to make Mendel postpone going home for his birthday until fall break next week. He threw a party for himself and Gordo (who turned fifteen the next day), renting a large room near the castle. It was really well attended with lots of college students.  Taty, Miss Minn, Gordo, and I went. Taty and Miss Minn danced most of the dances. Gordo and I managed to keep a game going in one corner and various people came and joined us. We ate cake and ice cream and sampled an exotic drink called “mineral tonic” flavored with cherry syrup. It was very bubbly and strange. The next day I mentioned it to Dr. Rascada while visiting Father and he told me that it is a health drink from Inconei. With all that sugar, I was skeptical about it being healthy, but Dr. Rascada says it’s the bubbles that are healthy and most apothecaries don’t add so much sugar. Mendel gave me some in a small bottle to take for Liop to try, telling me to have Liop drink it immediately since the bubbles wouldn’t last long in the bottle. Liop didn’t like it at all.

Your masks for All Hallow’s look fabulous. I’m sure you were all the best dressed dancers at the masquerade. I bet Keaton had a great time guising.
Finals are the second week of December. We can come after that and stay through the New Year. Uncle Winthrop is still considering his business and what days he can take off. What fun it will be to spend Christmas in Adya! I’m so excited! I hope the Prens can come too.
The issue of Troilubus Iconetha is for May of this year. It’s the last article in the magazine. I would be very grateful for Tish’s help since Aegolius is not returning to Elcaro with Duke Tulson and Lady Clara. He wants to spend more time with his grandchildren. I would ask Dr. Ecrue to help, but he seems so distracted.

November 17th

Mendel told me today that Master Allbox is telling people that Imato threatened his life if he ever came near me. I have mentioned Master Allbox to Imato before, mostly because he was standing up for me. I had also mentioned about Mendel telling me to be careful about him. I did NOT say anything about the party invitations or imply that Master Allbox was threatening me.
But it seems Imato got a letter from Jace.
“Arri,” began Imato as I was having dinner with him and Gretel, “you really need to be more careful on campus.
It was not a promising start to the dinner conversation.
“I know how to make bricks fly,” I reminded him.
“As I recall, you didn’t have much control over them,” Imato responded.
It was rather like sitting in Uncle W.’s big armchair when I was younger. I bristled.
“I don’t think any attacker would stick around long enough to find that out,” was Gretel’s observation.
“Mendel says Master Allbox is afraid to be in the same classroom as me,” I said, “I hardly think that was necessary. He was nice when I first met him.”
“He was nice because he wanted to take advantage of you,” said Imato.
I reddened.
“I’m thinking you should have someone with you on campus,” Imato began.
“Gordo and Mendel are there. We eat lunch together. And Gordo and I study biology together.”
“I was thinking about asking Taty to accompany you,” Imato responded.
“Imato, Taty has her own studies to worry about. I don’t want her to have to follow me around all day.”
“We’ll hire you a lady’s maid,” Imato said.
Gretel was already shaking her head. “The horse, Imato,” she said. I got the idea they had had this conversation before. “No lady’s maid could keep up with Arri without a horse.”
Imato frowned. No one spoke for a few minutes. I sat and worried that Imato’s next suggestion would involve taking Sprigs away from me. Gretel looked thoughtful.
“What if you taught her the self-defense lessons Jace has been teaching Keish and her students?” she asked finally.
“Yes, of course, she should have that,” Imato nodded, “but she still shouldn’t be the only woman on that campus. It’s not…” He stopped short of saying “appropriate” and shrugged his shoulders. We all got his meaning anyway.
“I’m fine,” I grumbled.
“Jace will agree with me on this. It’s not so much that another woman could protect her. Arri, don’t you think you would feel less isolated if you had a companion?”
I shrugged. “If it was another student,” I considered, “not a maid.”
“Exactly,” Imato pounced on my words, “what we need is another female student.” Gretel looked much struck by the idea.
“There aren’t any,” I protested, “and we wouldn’t be in all the same classes.”
“Oh, I’m sure we could find another girl somewhere who’d like to go to college,” Gretel said.
“She could start Winter term,” said Imato.
“Who?” I asked, wondering how the conversation had taken this direction and how I felt about it. Not that I want to be the only girl at college, but I’ve never heard of, or met, any girl who wanted to go.
“What about Treany?” asked Imato.
Treany??? I didn’t have to say anything. Imato was already shaking his head.
“Clara?” he asked doubtfully.
“She’d do well,” I said, “but she won’t be living in Rousha, and I doubt she wants to leave her husband. Besides, her education with the Westridges was pretty basic. She’d need more tutoring than even I did.”
Imato nodded thoughtfully.
“We could make inquiries in the private schools,” said Gretel.
“Who would pay her tuition?” I asked.
That stopped them short. They looked at each other.
“A young woman, recently graduated with high grades and a lady’s diploma, with parents able and willing to afford tuition,” Imato concluded.
“Who wants to go to college,” I added.
“That’s a tall order,” said Gretel, sounding discouraged.
“Well,” said Imato, “all we can do is ask. In the meantime, Arri, stay close to Mendel and Gordo.”
“All right,” I said. Mostly I was relieved that I didn’t have to have a maid (not considering the expense).  Later it occurred to me that anyone we found wouldn’t be able to start till next year. She’d have to pass the entrance exam in the spring. Imato, however, is determined, and has begun making inquiries.

So now, in addition to my other studies, I’m supposed to find time to let Imato teach me self-defense. This has resulted in an argument since both of us have busy schedules. Gretel finally got us to compromise. I will stay up later than normal once a week for late night training and Imato will get up earlier than normal for a weekly early morning session. Both of which will be held on the grounds of the mental home, so that we can visit Father immediately before or right after. This will save both of us some travel time and was Gretel’s most brilliant idea.

I hope that you are staying warm and out of the snow. I don’t think it will all melt this time. The wool outfit that Lady Pren’s seamstress made out of the wool you sent is wonderful, just perfect for how much time I’m spending traveling outside between classes in this weather. You should have an outfit made from it yourself.
Keep warm and dry.

Love,
Arri

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!