CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- November 19, 2004


November 19, 2004
Dear Arri,
Liop would be entirely jealous-- we’re snowed in today.  I think a full three feet has fallen and it’s still snowing.  We’ve had to cancel classes.
Of course, maybe he wouldn’t be so jealous of Keaton, who still has lessons with Master Zart as well as a magic lesson later today.

Mendel’s party sounds entertaining, but like you I’m skeptical about the mineral tonic.  I do wonder how they make it bubbly… I suppose I’ll have to ask Tish.

Papa just received a letter from the Prens accepting his invitation, so they will certainly be here from Christmas Eve to New Year’s.  You should definitely come right after finals.  Papa is writing to Uncle W. right now tell him to come for the Christmas Market-- there’s sure to be plenty of business opportunities to make up for leaving Rousha early.  Adya’s Christmas Market is huge and absolutely second to none.
Keaton, unfortunately, will leave the 13th of December and we don’t expect him back before the 6th of January, especially if the weather is bad.

Tish said she would write to you herself as soon as she knew which issue, so I will send her a note later.  She has rooms on the palace grounds, so likely someone will be able to get it to her even in the snow.

I am sorry if Imato was too forceful with you, Arri, but I am not at all sorry Jace wrote to him.  The responses Jace received to his inquiries… Arri they were appalling.  At least the ones I read.  After reading the last two, Jace stated succinctly that he would prefer I not read them.  He looked so grim that I didn’t press him.
In addition to writing Imato, Jace wrote to the elder Master Allbox-- the one he knows-- who has charge of the family affairs since their father’s death earlier this year.  It was a very strongly worded letter, the gist of it being “rein in your brother, or else” and I don’t think Jace just meant keeping him away from you.
In case you are curious, here is my reconstruction of Imato’s confrontation with Allbox, based on Imato’s letter to Jace:
Imato found Allbox at a (somewhat disreputable, I gather) gentleman’s club.  After explaining to the butler that he needed to speak to Master Allbox, Imato was shown into a private room to wait.  Allbox seemed unsure as to who Imato was until your name came up.  (Apparently angry elder brothers accost him frequently.  I can’t say I’m surprised.)
Allbox had the nerve to seem disappointed.  “Certainly not liberated after all,” he told Imato.
Imato stepped toward him threateningly.  “You will not speak of my sister that way.  In fact, you will not speak of her at all.”
“Or what?”  Allbox threw back in his face.  “A knight of the kingdom engaging in fisticuffs.”  He made a ‘tsk’ing sound.  “Hardly proper.”
Here he made his key mistake-- he turned his back on Imato and said, “She’d have been a nice conquest, but plenty of other fish in the sea.”
Imato quickly and efficiently spun him around, slammed him against the wall and placed an arm across his throat.  (I had Jace show me how this would be accomplished-- very impressive.)
“What?  Are you going to kill me?” Allbox sneered.
“Oh, I don’t need to kill you,” Imato said softly.  “I only need to break you.  Then I can turn you over to my cousin.  She’s always looking for willing volunteers to try new spells on.  And believe me, after I’d finished with you, you’d be a very willing volunteer.”
By this time Allbox was a particularly sick shade of pale.
Imato released him slowly until his feet were on the floor again.  Then Imato let go abruptly and turned away.  “I wonder if you’d make a good newt.  She’s been practicing transformation spells lately.”  With that parting shot, Imato left.
Jace is not particularly pleased that Imato brought me into it.  I am flattered that Imato thought to.

Imato wrote to Jace before talking to you, though, so now that Jace knows he’s going to teach you self-defense, Jace has begun what is sure to be a very lengthy letter explaining all of the changes and improvements Jace has hit upon in teaching.  Some of the moves require modification if you don’t have the physical strength to equal your opponent.
Meeting at the mental home seems perfect.  I’m glad it also gives you an absolute time to visit your father every week.

As far as someone attending classes with you, I doubt you’re in terrible danger on campus.  There are too many people about.
Jace says, however, that there is probably an option for attending lectures without receiving credit, so perhaps someone would be interested in your subjects enough to attend?  Maybe Nysa or Gretel?  I’d attend Literature with you if I could.

I am glad you like the wool.  I did buy a couple lengths of it for myself, but haven’t yet seen to having them made into anything.  Perhaps if the snow allows it tomorrow.  Wool would certainly feel nice right now.

Nov. 21st
The snow didn’t stop until late Friday, but yesterday enough was cleared that I took the wool to the dressmaker’s to have something cozy and practical made.  After deciding on two designs, I trudged back home to spend the rest of the day in front of a warm fire.
Jace and Keaton took the puppies out in the snow.  I watched the hilarity from a window.  I’m not sure there’s anything quite so entertaining as an animal that has never seen snow before.
Tossing snowballs for the puppies to chase became an all-out snowball fight, naturally, with several stable boys and even our footmen joining in.  Jace and Keaton came in completely soaked and half-frozen, but they certainly enjoyed themselves.  If it weren’t so cold, I’d have joined them.

Nov. 22nd
“Come in,” I replied to the knock at my office door earlier today.  “Caden,” I said in surprise as he entered.
He looked around.  “So this is where you hide from me. Very nice.”
“Well, if that’s its purpose it certainly isn’t fulfilling it very well,” I answered dryly.
He laughed, then held up the stack he was holding.  “Twenty copies of tomorrow’s Gazette, Lady Keish,” he said with a little bow.
I raised an eyebrow.  “Impressive.  You can put them over there,” I told him, indicating a side table under the window.  “How do you manage to keep what you do a secret?”
He went very still-- hands still on the Gazette.
“It certainly makes your devotion to reading the Gazette make sense.  Otherwise someone might wonder at your familiarity with its contents.”
He turned to look at me, his face a careful blank mask.
“How much of it do you write?” I asked curiously.
His eyes flicked to the copies he’d brought me.  “I had nothing to do with that story, Keish,” he said seriously.
I cocked my head to one side.  “Interesting.”  I made a mental note to find whatever story he was so quick to disavow.  “That’s not what I asked though.”
His mouth opened, then snapped shut.  He sighed.  “A little less than half, generally, since my return to Adya.”
“I do hope you weren’t responsible for that tripe about the puppy.”
He finally smiled.  “No, Keish.  I haven’t been writing about you.”
I laughed.  “I don’t see why not, Caden.  You’ve certainly had plenty of first-hand information lately.”
No he cocked his head to one side.  “You aren’t angry with me.”
“For what?”
“Writing the Gazette.  Not telling you.  Any of it.”  He sounded somewhat amazed.
“Hardly information you’re just going to share.  Besides, it will be so much more convenient, when I want to start a rumor, knowing exactly who to tell.”
He threw up his hands.  “Unbelievable,” he laughed.
“There is one thing though,” I continued more seriously.
He furrowed his brow at my tone.  “Yes?” he asked cautiously.
“Keaton Leilani is off-limits.”
He shook his head.  “Keish, I would never…”
I cut him off.  “Not just you.  I mean the Gazette at large.  If there is so much as a hint, an implication that could be construed as being about my young ward everyone involved with the Gazette will deeply regret the association.”
Caden nodded sharply.  “Lady Keish,” he bowed and left.

He was waiting outside when I left.
“I passed on your message,” he said quietly.
“Good,” I responded.
He walked with me in silence a few moments before bursting out, “How did you know?”
I chuckled.  “Jace noticed it first.  Some of the stories just… sounded like you.  Phrases written exactly the way you use them, that kind of thing.  You should probably be more careful about that.  Others are bound to notice too.”
“Not sure anyone else pays enough attention to what I’m saying to pick up on it,” he muttered.
“I suppose if Euan didn’t notice after your story about him last week he’s not likely to,” I added mischievously.
He laughed aloud.  “That was a good piece, wasn’t it?” he remarked, obviously pleased with himself.  He paused before adding hopefully, “Now that you know, perhaps you’d help me with something?”
I rolled my eyes.  “Here it comes.”
“No,” he said laughing, “nothing serious.  It’s just that I’ve been asked to write something about Mistress Tish and I haven’t really met her.”
I gave him a sharp look, unsure what to make of his tone of voice.  “Write what, exactly?”
He held up his hands defensively.  “Nothing scandalous.  Her reflections are extremely popular.  Just something about her.”
“Popular thanks in part to the Gazette.”
He gave me a look.
“What?” I asked innocently.
He rolled his eyes.  “I wrote that piece, Keish.  I know where my information comes from.”
I grinned.  “A few well-placed suggestions was all.”
“Right.  Will you introduce me at least?”
“Oh, I suppose.  So long as you’re going to be nice.”
“I do appreciate it,” he answered.
We had almost reached the tower.  “Why do you do it?” I asked as we entered my garden.
“Oh, everyone needs a hobby, I suppose.  Don’t you agree?” he asked Jace as he joined us.
Jace grinned.  “Of course.  Keisha’s hobby is threatening to turn people into fire newts.”
Caden smiled at that.  “Ah, yes, I did hear something about Euan nearly becoming one of his own wedding decorations.  Though doubtless he would have deserved it.”
I rolled my eyes.  “Technically,” I said to Jace, knowing where the comment came from, “I have not directly threatened that awful young man.  Imato did it for me.”
Caden looked back and forth between us.  “This would be about Master Allbox, I take it?”
Jace and I both looked at him in surprise.
He shrugged.  “I read the Fly-By.  Terrible grammar sometimes and I don’t approve at all of how they handle some things.”  He looked significantly at Jace.  “I do hope your sister hasn’t been reading it lately.”
Jace growled something about his mother banning it from the house and Caden nodded.
“You’re not writing about Arri,” I said to Caden sternly.
He chuckled.  “No, I wouldn’t dream of it.  The Gazette mentioned her briefly after your wedding and we were quickly made aware that then-squire Imato Etautca was not at all pleased.  I believe he said something along the lines of ‘bad enough the Fly-By is always at her, but if the Adya rags start in on her too, I’ll find a way to do something about it’.  Given his resources and connections, it was taken seriously.”
I snorted.  “Well I should hope so.”
Jace talked Caden into some sparring so that Jace could warm up for his self-defense class this afternoon, so I left them to that and went upstairs to sit by a fire and read the copy of the Gazette I had taken from the stack Caden delivered.
I had to read it twice, but I think I’ve found the story Caden “had nothing to do with”.  It’s unusual for the Gazette to print anything about political intrigue, but the implications in the story-- that influences from Rousha are the real cause of some new plot or other-- are a little disturbing.  As a whole, relations with Rousha are everything they should be.  On a more personal level, as Jace is from Rousha and teaching the History of Elcaro, I wasn’t sure I liked where this was going.
Certainly I can see why Caden wanted Jace and me to know he had nothing to do with it.

Nov. 23rd
I took Caden over to Tish’s laboratory to meet her this morning.  He was quickly enthralled by all of her scientific equipment and I left them poring over designs for a more complicated microscope.
After my classes, Keaton found me in my usual spot-- curled up in front of the sitting room fireplace.
“Master Zart is ill,” he explained to me.  His expression was an interesting combination of joy at being released from his lessons and dread that he may be forced to remain in the tower without Master Zart to accompany him.
“I see.  Is it serious?”
Keaton gave a little shrug.  (He’s so much less formal now. I wonder what his parents will make of him.)  “Marta says he’ll need to remain abed for three days.”
I frowned.  I trusted Marta’s judgment in such matters, but wondered what I’d do with Keaton.  He’d go crazy in his rooms for three days.  I certainly would.
“Well,” I said carefully, “I suppose you could come to classes with me.”
Keaton wrinkled his nose in distaste.  “I’d rather practice magic all day,” he muttered.
“You’re certainly welcome to do that.  What if I teach you a new spell tonight and you can work on it tomorrow.  Then hopefully we’ll come up with something else to interest you.”
He smiled at that idea.
He’s gotten quite good at making the paper birds fly.  It’s not quite enough to quell the flaring magic within him, but it’s done wonders.
I decided to teach him Liop’s growth spell, with the strict provision that he is only to grow his paper birds and that they are not to exceed Thor in size.  He seemed a bit put out by that, but I wouldn’t teach him the spell until he promised.  I expect it will keep him busy tomorrow.

Nov. 24th
Keaton’s temporary lack of a tutor has led to something completely unforeseen.
As is often the case, Caden was waiting for Jace and me when we got to the school building this morning.
“I hear your ward is lacking a tutor for a few days,” he said immediately.
Really, the man’s sources of information rival even mine.
I raised an eyebrow as Jace responded in the affirmative.  I couldn’t fathom where Caden was going with this.
“I’d be happy to fill in.”
“You’d what?” I asked, nearly at the same time as Jace.
Caden chuckled.  “I’d be happy to serve as Keaton’s guide or companion temporarily.”
Jace looked thoughtful.  “I suppose there are worse choices.”
“And do what with him?” I asked, still completely incredulous.
Caden reddened slightly.  “Well actually, there’s an exhibit of science, mostly Iconese, at the new Adya museum.  I thought I’d take him.  I need an excuse to go.”
Jace and I exchanged bemused looks.  “Not somewhere you can go simply as a gentleman of leisure?” I asked.
Caden winced.  “I’ve rather lost my taste for that appellation since Jace told me more about Donald Allbox,” he stated.  “It’s just a bit… studious.  Wouldn’t seem natural, I’m afraid.  But I thought if I were taking Keaton…”
“And that would seem natural?”
Jace spoke up.  “I don’t know, Keish, it’s something I’d do and the fact that Caden and I have become friends is common knowledge.  I wouldn’t be able to get away to spend the day at the museum, so people may think I asked Caden to accompany him with Master Zart ill.”
I sighed a little.  “I suppose so.”
“If you don’t think he’d be interested, I can take him to do something else,” Caden offered.  “I do want to help.”
I shook my head.  “No, I’m sure he’d be very interested.”  I took Keaton to Tish’s laboratory briefly last week and he was certainly intrigued.  I considered a moment more.  “Oh, why not?  It might be good for both of you.”
Jace grinned.  “Very likely.”
Caden gave us a little bow.  “I shall be on my best behavior.”
I rolled my eyes.  “I should hope so.”
This evening I told Keaton, after giving all appropriate praise to his paper bird, which is approximately two inches larger than when I left this morning.
He seemed surprised that Caden would be accompanying him, but he was obviously thrilled about seeing the exhibit.  Hopefully it lives up to both their expectations.
Either way, I’m sure to hear all about it tomorrow.  If it’s as exciting as Keaton hopes I shall tell you all about it in my next letter.
For now, though, this is long and Hermes is likely to lose all patience with me soon.  Especially if Chewy tries to catch him again.
I hope you are feeling ready for your final exams.  Next week I shall have to decide once and for all what sort of final exams I am giving and prepare them.

Love Always

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!