CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- January 5, 2005


January 5, 2005
Dear Arri,
As best I can tell, in the weeks you were here Liop went to the museum at least fourteen times.
In addition to the times he went with you and Jace and me and Nysa and Uncle W. he also talked Papa into taking him once, Ryland and Malia twice and, improbably enough, Caden three times-- two of those with Tish and one, apparently, before the exhibit actually opened.  Caden pulled heaven only knows what strings for that, but I guess Liop was thrilled to chatter his way through the exhibit in Iconese without having to worry about other people.
In fact, it seems the museum kept him occupied enough that I’ve yet to find any traces of magical mischief.  Jace thinks we should make a sizeable donation on that alone.
Uncle W’s fireworks continue to be the talk of Adya.  If one more person tells me they were “almost magical” I promise you I will not be able to keep a straight face.  And you can tell Uncle he may as well stop being coy on that head-- I saved one and examined it closely before, during and after shooting it off.  (Caden, by the way, says Uncle W. should have enchanted them to cool more quickly after firing, but that’s only because he burned his hand retrieving it for me.)  I’m really quite impressed and I’d like to discuss it with him further next time we’re all together.  I imagine he’ll have a lot of orders to fill from Adya throughout the year-- everyone wants the little fire crackers for their parties.
I miss the Christmas Market already-- the exotic fruits we enjoyed while you were here have become impossible to find and I quite wanted another pomegranate.
Speaking of the Market, however, we come to the truly important question: what did Mendel and Gordo think of the brilliantly striped wool socks I talked you into getting for them?  I predict they will make it the next trend.  Personally, I love the socks.  I’m just glad I bought more than one pair-- Chewy has already reduced one sock to a soggy mass of wool.
The sky has been clouded over since you left.  I still can’t believe we had such brilliant skies the entire time Jace’s family was here.  Papa and Jace’s father were able to do so much work together.  I’m sure it will be good for both Arella and Elcaro, though of course the Gazette is still hinting at… whatever it is they’re hinting at.
The two most disturbing things about the stories in the Gazette, though, are that one) not even Caden has been able to find out who is writing them and two) the wording is terribly similar to stories in the Fly By.  People are starting to complain about the stories, though, so we’re hopeful the Gazette will stop printing them.
The tower feels so empty with you all gone, and so quiet.  Especially since Keaton has not returned.  With the weather I don’t think he’ll be here before Friday, perhaps even later.  After all the excitement of Christmas and the New Year, it seems too quiet really.  We don’t even resume classes until Monday.
Did Liop tell you he left a letter with me for Keaton?  I confess I feel some trepidation at the thought of them corresponding-- only think what schemes they could come up with!  It would be good for Keaton, though, I think.  I have left it in his room for when he returns.

Jan. 9th
Keaton and Master Zart returned this evening.  Marta was appalled at how cold and damp they both were, having been on the road for days in this weather.  She and Cook fussed over them, but Keaton was too exhausted to do more than eat a few bites of soup, so Brooksby helped him to bed.
Master Zart, surprisingly, agreed to eat with Jace and I.
As we began the main course, he cleared his throat nervously.  “I hope I’m not speaking out of turn, my lady, but…” he trailed off.
“You really can call me Keish,” I told him, smiling encouragingly.  “And you are always welcome to speak freely.”
“Yes, well.  I find myself somewhat… concerned about young Master Keaton.”
Jace caught on quickly.  “He’s very different with his parents,” he offered.
Master Zart nodded gratefully.  “Yes.  Also, they are not very… supportive about his magic.  Though I explained your instructions they were obviously reluctant to have him performing any magical exercises.”
I sighed heavily.  I’d been afraid of that.  “And of course Keaton would have picked up on that whether they said anything or not.  How bad was it?”
“I don’t believe he did any magic while we were there.  At least, not intentionally.”
I nearly said something entirely unladylike.  Keaton’s been progressing very well, but not so well as to just not practice for weeks.
“And unintentionally?” Jace asked.
“There were one or two minor incidents.  Keaton was able to stop them, possibly through sheer force of will, and I don’t believe any noticed but myself.”
“Well, I suppose that’s something, anyway,” I muttered.  To Master Zart I said, “I’m glad you told me.  It will affect what I choose to do with Keaton this week.”
I’m so frustrated I could scream.  Tomorrow after my classes I’ll have to assess the situation.  We shouldn’t have to start over completely, but this certainly sets us back.

Jan. 10th
Caden brought me tomorrow’s Gazette today, as has become his habit.
Rather than just setting the stack down on the table, he dropped them right in front of me and pointed to a story on the front page.  “I don’t think this story is what it appears to be,” he said in a concerned tone.
I read through it carefully, then handed it to Jace who had brought his work into my office, as has become his habit.
After he’d read it, Caden thrust another paper at us-- this time the Fly By.  “This came out today.  Look at the story on the second page.”
“How on earth do you get these so fast?” Jace asked as he leaned over me to read.
Caden waved his question away.  “Keish’s cousin isn’t the only one with pigeons.”
I didn’t respond to this as I was caught up by the Fly By.  I could see why Caden was concerned.
Jace frowned and took it from me, holding it and the Gazette side by side.  “They’re almost the same again.”
Caden nodded.  “I don’t like it.”
I was thinking furiously.  The stories were, on the surface, about fashion trends and the influence of Roushan fashion on Adyan (and vice versa), but like Caden I didn’t like the undertones.  Never mind the fact that nearly the same story appeared in both.
Jace handed the papers back to me.  “This isn’t good.”  A worry line creased his forehead.  “I think we should show your father, at the very least.”
I nodded and Jace and I went to find Papa.
What’s going on, Arri?  Who would want to cause tension between Arella and Elcaro?
Papa took both the Gazette and Fly By and went to the king.  He hasn’t returned yet.
I can’t concentrate on magical studies, so I’ve set Keaton to flying paper birds again this afternoon.


Later
Papa is feeling rather grim this evening and I’m afraid it’s casting a pall over everyone.  Keaton chose to eat upstairs and continue flying his birds rather than join us.  I can’t say I blame him.
The reports from Greste are still fractured, but King Menion is considering sending field support since things seem to be “heating up” again.
He (the king) also had a strange request for me.
“He wants Keish to… what?” Jace asked when Papa told us at dinner.
Papa almost chuckled.  “Just gather information.  The stories in the Gazette have him a little concerned.  He just wants to know what’s being said.  He‘d like your input too.”
Jace muttered something about no one wanting to talk to him if the Gazette continues to publish such stories.
I was still looking at Papa in amazement.  “It’s not that I’m not flattered by the king’s confidence in me,” I began slowly, “but I don’t think this is a good idea.”
Jace looked at me quizzically.  “Because of your connections to Rousha?”
“Well, that too, but really King Menion wants gossip.  From parties and assemblies.  Most of which I don’t attend.”
Jace looked thoughtful.  “It’s true.  I think we accept less than half the invitations we receive.”
Papa shrugged.  “It’s your choice, of course.  I was just supposed to present the request to you.”  With that, he excused himself, making it clear that whatever was decided he wouldn’t try to influence me at all.
Jace and I have discussed the idea for hours and I think we’ve come up with a viable solution.  
Now I just have to present it to the king.

Jan. 11th
I set out to do so first thing this morning, leaving Cass in charge of my first class.
I was shown into King Menion’s private study and the door shut behind me.  It was a much more modest room than I expected.  The king sat behind a heavy desk-- elegant but simple-- and wore a fine circlet instead of his heavy crown.
“This is highly unusual, Lady Pren,” he said by way of greeting.
I curtseyed.  “I recognize that, Your Majesty, and I thank you for seeing me anyway.”
“I’ve been following the progress of your schools-- I must say I’m very impressed.”
“Thank you.”
“I don’t think you’re here to discuss that though.”  He paused and I shook my head slowly.  “Your father spoke with you then, I presume.”
“Yes, Your Majesty, and while I am flattered that you thought of me for such an interesting task, neither I nor my husband is the person you want.”
He raised an eyebrow.  “Oh?”
I shook my head again.  “We accept one invitation out of seven, on average.  We are not known for mingling or gossiping.  If either of those things were to change suddenly it would be suspicious.  And,” I said significantly, “we have strong ties to Rousha.  We’re not going to attract the information you need.”
He considered for a moment.  “You don’t think your ties to Rousha could be beneficial under the circumstances?”
“No.  Whoever is behind these stories is using the rumors about Rousha to obfuscate whatever they’re actually doing.  They know there’s no truth behind them.  Plus,” I added ruefully, “my best sources of information tend to be servants and this is likely too serious for anyone to speak idly in front of a servant.  I will, of course, pass on anything I do hear, though.  I’m just not the person you want for this.”
He chuckled softly and settled back in his chair.  “I suppose I agree, but it’s a pity really.”
I shrugged.  “You need someone who is not only always on the guest list but always expected.  Someone intelligent enough and dedicated enough to gather all the information you need yet not taken so seriously that he’ll be suspected.  You need someone whose reputation is entirely unexceptional.”  I held out a carefully folded piece of paper.  “And I know exactly who he is.”
King Menion took the paper but made no move to open it.  “This is a name, I take it?”
I nodded.  “There are perhaps two drawbacks.  For one, his friendship with us, but it is not of long standing and I am certain we could manufacture a suitably spectacular row if needed,” I said with a mischievous smile.
He laughed aloud.
“The second is his family, but I think that could become an asset.”
“And you’re vouching for him?  You have no reservations?”
“None, Your Majesty.”
“Very well, then.  I shall send for him directly.”
I curtseyed and left.

Later
As I finished writing the above, there was a discreet tap at the sitting room door.
“Come in, Brooksby,” I called.  No one can duplicate Brooksby’s knock.
He entered.  “Lord Caden Viteri wishes to speak with you, My Lady.”
Almost before he finished the door banged open the rest of the way and Caden burst in.  “I suppose I have you to thank for this?”
“So I see,” I said to Brooksby.  “I believe Jace is in his study, if you would tell him please.”
With a bow for me and a frown for Caden, Brooksby left, leaving the door open.
“Your man forgot the door,” Caden said distractedly.
“Oh I doubt it,” I replied.  “You’ll have to do something impossibly nice for Keaton-- it’s the only way to get back in Brooksby’s good graces.”
He glared at me.  “I’ll not be put off, Keish.  Why on earth would you give my uncle my name for such a thing?  I know it was you-- no one else it could have been.  Are you completely mad?”
“Well someone certainly is,” Jace said from the doorway.  He came in and closed the door.  “I guess it’s a good thing most of the servants have taken their half day.  I could hear you two floors down.  Don’t you know it’s terribly bad form bellowing at another man’s wife in her own sitting room?”
Caden was having none of it.  “And I suppose you were involved as well.”
Jace rolled his eyes but nodded.  “We discussed it at length.  Now calm down and..”
“I will not!”
“Then at least sit down and be quiet for a moment,” Jace shot back, irritated.
“No Jace, I will not sit down and I will not be quiet!  I want to know what possessed…”
I waved my hand and Caden, perforce, did both.  His mouth continued moving for a moment before going slack with surprise.
“Much better.  Now then,” I turned to Jace, “do you mean to say that bellowing at one’s own wife in her own sitting room would be more appropriate?  Or that bellowing at someone else’s wife is only proper if it’s in some other setting?”
Jace laughed.  “Neither, love, but perhaps we should attend to the matter at hand.”
“Oh can’t we just leave him?”
“Might be awkward at breakfast,” Jace pointed out.
“We could turn him towards the wall,” I suggested helpfully.  “No? Oh very well.”
Caden was glaring at me.
“You needn’t look so cross.  Just think of the stories you could write with this kind of material.”
He stuck his tongue out at me.
“You’re sure we can’t just leave him like this?  Just for a few days?”
Jace was laughing again.  “No.  He promises to speak more softly and civilly.”
“He does?” I asked skeptically.  “I suppose I can always silence him again.”  I released the spell.
From the look on his face, I’m fairly certain Caden wanted to say something highly inappropriate, but he restrained himself.  “I would like an explanation,” he said finally, through gritted teeth.
“The king had a request and you were the best suited to fulfill it,” I said simply.
“My uncle asked you who should spy on the upper classes of Adya?”
“No, your uncle asked her to spy on the upper classes of Adya,” Jace answered.
“Then why isn’t she?”  Caden turned back to me.  “Or are we to be partners in crime?”
I rolled my eyes.  “Caden, how many events do we attend in an average week?”
He looked confused.  “I wouldn’t say you attend any in an average week.”
“Exactly.  Where and when am I supposed to gather information?”
He looked thoughtful.  “I suppose it would look strange.”
“Which is what she told King Menion,” Jace added.  “She told him he needed someone expected to be at every party or ball.”
“And whose reputation is entirely unexceptional,” Caden finished.  “Yes, he told me that part.”
I threw my hands up.  “Then why are you demanding explanations?”
Caden looked at me seriously.  “He also said you vouched for me.  No reservations.”  He paused.  “You both think I can do this?”
Jace smiled at him.  “Of course you can.”
“There’s no pleasing you.  First you’re complaining about a lack of purpose and now you’re complaining about being given one,” I told him.
Caden grinned.  “I suppose you’re right.  You’ll both help me, though, right?  We can have councils of war.”
Jace laughed.  “Make sure you use the servants’ corridors for those.  Wouldn’t want to arouse suspicion.”
With a laugh Caden started to leave.  “I guess that just leaves doing something terribly nice for Keaton.”
“No pets!” I called after him.
I don’t think we can handle another puppy.
I’m not sure what anyone expects Caden to learn, but he’s bound to dig up something.  With any luck it will solve this mess before anyone starts taking it very seriously.
This has gotten far longer than I expected and I am anxious to hear about your exam results and your new classes, so I’ll close.  Tell Imato to stop pacing and Gretel not to worry too much, since I’m sure that’s what they’re both doing.

Love Always,

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!