CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- January 6, 2005


 January 6, 2005
Dear Keish,

We got home safely, but it was two days later than expected. Your prediction of the blizzard was precisely accurate, and we took shelter at an inn just a few hours before it struck. We couldn’t leave the building for nearly two days. Liop went stir crazy looking for stuff to do. Uncle Winthrop wouldn’t let me out to check on the horses, insisting was too cold and that I let the servants do their job. I didn’t mean to imply that they weren’t competent. The horses were fine. I just wanted to see them.
Fortunately, I didn’t miss any school, because classes were cancelled too. When we arrived in Rousha, the first thing we saw was a long line of carts and wagons full of snow being hauled out from the city streets. It was amazing.

I have my grades. Thanks to Mendel and Gordo I received 99% on my Algebra final. Mendel is highly offended that Dr. Kondamuri used my first midterm score to calculate my final mark for the class. I suppose having me take the tests isolated in a separate room was enough to convince him that I really can do math. However, I hope I don’t have him as a teacher again.
I received a 98% in Biology, which is not as hard because it’s mostly memorization. My literature professor gave me a 92% for Literature. Mendel says I can’t feel badly about that because it’s so subjective. Actually, I’m pleased with the grade, because I really don’t have the slightest idea how to uncover the hidden meanings in war and love poetry. In Carpentry I scraped by with a final mark of 86% which was mostly for effort.
The best part is that I just managed to make the bottom of the honor roll. I received a note from Queen Elspeth congratulating me on my success.
Apparently, it is virtually unheard of for a freshman to get all of his first picks for classes, so this term I again don’t have exactly what I wanted, but I think I did a little better choosing my second and third choices. My schedule this term looks like this:
7am: Elcaran History, course 1 – three times a week
9am: Basic Biology, course 1 – daily (My first choice was Medical Biology, but Basic Biology is almost as good.)
10am: Anatomy, course 1 – four times a week (This class is actually part of my major.)
Noon: College writing, course 1 – daily (Mendel says my only problem with this class will be staying within the word limit.)

Mendel is taking Trigonometry, course 2; History of Architecture; Philosophical Writing, course 1; and Introduction to Literature this term. He told me, “I intend to prove that all war poetry is really about love, and all love poetry is really about war.” I feel sorry for Dr. Freyvogel.
Gordo is taking Introduction to Chemistry; Algebra, course 3; Introduction to Literature at the same time as Mendel; and Iconese, course 1. He’s a little worried about the Inconese, because he’s never studied a foreign language before. I told him Liop would probably be happy to help him.

Classes started today. Dr. Ecrue, wearing an inside out sweater and forgetting to remove his hat, began class as if we were simply continuing where we left off. I wish Gordo and I had biology together again. I suppose I will have to try sitting at the front of the class, because it is so hard to catch Dr. Ecrue’s attention.
Master Ujifil has been letting me sit in on clinic visits with some of his patients. He has put me in charge of taking their weight and temperature. I’m continuing with my awareness exercises and have been given a book of basic healing spells to memorize. At first it was so hard to sit still and concentrate for long periods of time, but I’m getting better and the longer I practice the more I can see. I don’t have to concentrate on just one organ anymore. I can watch my lungs and heart at the same time now. I can see how they interact with each other. It’s fascinating. Dr. Ujifil says that eventually I will be able to see all of the basic functions of my body at the same time. Once I can do that I will be ready to start looking at other people or animals.

January 8th

Nysa came to see me today. She’s worried about Liop, because he is still reluctant about learning new spells, even though it’s been six months now since the fairies tried to abduct him. He doesn’t have much interest in practicing Nysa’s strengthening spells either. Instead he pours all of his energy into reading alchemy books and looking for excuses to spend time with Uncle W. in his workshop.
“Winthrop refuses to talk to him,” she complained, eyes flashing with temper, “He says Liop will come back to magic in his own time, if he wants to.”
I didn’t say anything. I kind of think Uncle W. is right about this. Liop’s experience with the fairies was terrifying. He had quite a few nightmares during the first several weeks after we got home.
“If he doesn’t practice magic,” Nysa continued firmly, “he will develop the same problems controlling it that Keaton has.”
“He does use magic,” I corrected her, “He uses all of the simple spells that he already knows. Keish says that should be enough to keep his magic under control.”
Nysa frowned at me.
“This is for his good, Arri. Liop needs to practice his magic while he’s young. Consider how much more advanced you would be if you had started practicing magic before you turned seventeen.”
“I used magic when I was younger,” I said.
“You played with simple spells, but you had no proper training. I’m sure you would be much closer to healing Quin if you had better training.”
I winced. Nysa was really upset and spoke without thinking.
“Fairies introduce children to difficult spells when they’re about this age,” she continued, “I’ve tried talking to Liop myself, but he pays better attention to Winthrop. I think if you talk to him…”
“Mother and Father believed that only a basic knowledge of a few simple spells was necessary for childhood,” I told her, “I started magical training when I turned thirteen, but it was interrupted only a few months later by the war and Father’s disappearance. Liop is only eight years old. I don’t see why his education needs to be so rushed.”
“Liop has a brilliant mind,” Nysa argued, “I don’t want to see him suppressed. Your friend Gordo ought to support me on this if no one else will.”
Nysa is pretty mad at me. People think of her as so shy and gentle, but she has a temper like a lion and right now she is convinced that Uncle W. is holding Liop back. I don’t know what to do about it. I didn’t realize Nysa felt so strongly about teaching Liop magic. She wasn’t teaching him before the fairies tried to abduct him.

January 10th

I had lunch with Taty and Brynn today. I took the opportunity to talk to her about Nysa and Liop.
“Well,” said Brynn thoughtfully, “I think Nysa really enjoyed teaching you magic, but now that part of your training is over and she has nothing to do again. It makes sense that she would refocus on Liop.”
“Do you think we should speed up his training?” I asked.
“It would be better if he got over his fear,” said Brynn, “but I would be more worried if he was refusing to do any magic at all.”
I considered what Brynn had said. It’s true that Nysa has little to do most days. She doesn’t mind cleaning, but the apartment is so small that it’s easily finished. Uncle Winthrop has tried giving her secretarial things to do, but she doesn’t like them very much and usually brings them to me. I suppose a regular occupation would be good for her, but I don’t know what that would be.

January 13th

I received your letter today. I don’t blame Liop for going to the museum so many times. It was wonderful. I would have gone with every time, but there were so many other things I wanted to do in Adya too. We had so much fun shopping. Mendel was thrilled with the striped socks. Since going barefoot to philosophy isn’t allowed, he’s going to try wearing the socks. I sure hope he doesn’t get himself kicked out of school. Gordo, however, says that Mendel is a genius for knowing just how much he can get away with. Personally, I’m glad he has a different philosophy professor this term.
Hopefully, as Keaton becomes more comfortable doing magic with you he’ll become more comfortable doing it at home too, and his parents will get used to the idea.
Uncle Winthrop’s two most popular chemical products are his fireworks and cleaning solutions. He is always experimenting with the fireworks and they get better every year. He says he’s run out of ideas on how to improve the cleaning chemicals. Fireworks are more fun anyway. When we lived in Odsreq, Uncle W. would take us out to a meadow every few months to watch him try out his latest fireworks. This was the first batch to contain a magical element and he’s very proud of them.
Using Caden to spy on the Gazette is an excellent idea. Imato says it’s high time someone started doing something about these articles beyond just reading them. He’s become an avid reader of the Fly-by and even got a subscription to the Gazette, although his resources aren’t as good as Caden’s, so he’s always a few days behind. He usually gets three or four issues in a bundle every few days. I avoid visiting on these days. It’s enough that I have to hear about the Fly-by. I will not allow him to torture me with the Gazette too.

January 16th

I had lunch with Queen Elspeth today. She sent an invitation a couple of days ago. I was very surprised, but of course, I accepted.
The first thing to consider when having lunch with the Queen is what to wear. My best dresses were all designed for warmer weather, and it has been bitterly cold this week. I finally decided to wear the dress from Gretel’s birthday/engagement ball. I packed it carefully and wore my wool suit over to the castle where I quickly changed. Queen Elspeth was waiting for me in her sitting room along with Princess Chavella, Crown Prince Dedric’s wife. They wanted to hear about me going to college.
I wasn’t really sure what to tell them. They wanted to know if I felt I was being treated fairly and I said that I was. The Queen gave me a lecture on making sure my grades stay high so that there will be no question that I’m able to keep up with classes. I said I would do my best. Then they wanted to hear about how the other students were treating me and I started to say that everything was fine, but Queen Elspeth shook her head at me and my voice trailed off.
“Sir Imato has been making numerous inquiries after one Master Donald Allbox,” she informed me, frowning, “although what actually caught my attention were his efforts to convince some of the older knights to send their daughters to college. He’s creating quite a stir.”
“I’m sorry,” I said meekly.
“No, Lady Arri, your brother makes a good point: you shouldn’t be alone on campus,” said the Queen.
“It’s okay,” I began, “Mendel Westridge and Gordo Yawmus are with me.”
“It’s a real problem,” Princess Chavella said, “I’ve brought it up several times with ladies your age and they tend to be skeptical or sympathetic, but overall not interested. I don’t think Sir Imato is going to find anyone among the upper classes. There’s no real incentive for them to continue schooling.”
“I don’t think the answer lies in the upper classes,” Queen Elspeth said, “I think we should be talking to the middle classes. Most of them value education and have the resources to send even their daughters to grade school. Unfortunately, most of them won’t be able to afford college tuition. In light of that, I think we will offer a scholarship.”
“Similar to the ones my husband offers to boys with exceptionally high test scores,” put in the Princess.
“Yes, exactly. I’m going to offer a scholarship to the young woman who scores the highest on the college entrance exam this year.”
“Assuming there’s a young lady daring enough to try,” said Princess Chavella.
“I think there will be,” said the Queen, “Especially among the working classes. A young woman with a college degree could be an asset.”
They continued along this vein for quite some time. I sat and listened. It was obvious they had already had this conversation and were delighted with their idea. I sat back and listened, wondering if it would work. It does make sense that someone from the middle classes would be more likely to take advantage of the offer. Upper class women have no need of education beyond a ladies’ diploma since they never have to work. Middle class women do work, so a college degree could be useful.
“We’ll put an announcement in the local papers,” said Princess Chavella, “the Fly-by too perhaps.”
“Good,” said the Queen.
At that point there was a knock on the door and presently a young page admitted himself to the room.
“Your majesties,” he bowed low, “Sergeant Levine has asked that I inform you that the task the King set him with this morning is complete.”
“Thank you, Page Laden,” said Queen Elspeth, “You are dismissed.” The boy bowed again deeply and left the room. Princess Chavella looked significantly at her mother-in-law and politely excused herself from the lunch. I was thinking that the lunch should be ending when Queen Elspeth turned the conversation. She pulled out a copy of the Fly-by and set it before me.
“Speaking of the Fly-by,” she said, her voice growing serious, “Have you read the latest issue?”
“No,” I said.
She picked up her issue and began to quote: “’It seems no coincidence that shortly after marrying an Elcaran, Lady Leilani would disappear into one of Arella’s more remote locations for several weeks, only to emerge with radical ideas of women’s education. The timing coincides with the disappearance of one Dr. Caltrone, a well-respected psychologist who most certainly would have opposed her plan.’”
She paused and looked up.
I was speechless.
“Not quite their usual tripe,” said the Queen.
“It’s not true,” I stammered.
“Of course not,” she agreed, “I never thought it was, but it’s a strange accusation for the Fly-by. I’ve never known them to accuse someone of a serious crime.”
“Keish has been investigating the Gazette and the Fly-by,” I said, “because of all the strangely political articles they’ve been publishing.”
“Yes, our King has been corresponding with King Menion on the subject. I suspect this new article is in the Gazette as well.”
I nodded.
“Let me read another passage,” said Queen Elspeth, “’We have it on good authority, however, that Sir Waldbauer will be removing the threat of Master Byra in the near future.’”
I felt the color drain from my face.
Queen Elspeth nodded at the door.
“As we just heard, Sir Waldbauer has been brought in for questioning,” she informed me, “I do not know yet if there is any truth to this accusation.”
“Now,” said the Queen, “the question is, Why would a gossip column of all things become a source of this kind of information?”
“I have no idea,” I whispered.
“Neither does anyone,” she said quietly, “Would you please send one of your passenger pigeons letting Lady Lakeisha Pren know of our conversation? There will be a more formal letter from the King to Menion, but I think a direct note from you will get to Lady Pren a little faster. I’d like her to know of my support to her cause.”
“Yes, your majesty,” I said.

Accordingly, I am ending my letter now so that I can send it as soon as possible. With Caden’s connections, I’m sure you already have the issues of the Fly-by and Gazette, so I don’t need to include them. It’s crazy, Keish, and starting to become very scary.
I hope that you are not buried in snow. I wish you could come out to the Winter Festival again this year, but I know it’s bad timing with school for you. I had a wonderful time shopping the Christmas market.
Be careful.

Love,
Arri

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!