CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- August 12, 2004


August 12, 2004
Dear Arri,
This morning I realized that I’ve not had to look at or give an opinion on anything wedding related for weeks.  What a wonderful thing.
Your letter arrived last night while Jace and I were attending a concert.  A very prominent opera singer from Nèamh gave a special performance.  It was quite impressive. I believe she’s going to perform in Rousha as well-- you should really attend.  Of course since the singer was from their homeland, Sir and Lady Aoweir were there and we couldn’t avoid chatting briefly .  No difficult task for Jace-- Sir Aoweir is as pleasant as ever.  Lady Aoweir, on the other hand, in addition to not approving of me (still) now seems to blame me for her daughter living so far away.  There is just no pleasing the woman.
Overall it was a lovely evening, though.  We returned quite late and I couldn’t keep my eyes open long enough to do your letter justice, so I decided to save it for this morning.
Tulson deserves everything to be sure, but Clara does not.  I imagine she will have enough trouble with Tulson without him spending half of their trip plotting against Jace and me.
Jace sent a letter to Rousha to be forwarded to Tulson but if at some point he wants their itinerary I’ll certainly let you know.
I am ignoring Brooksby.  Papa chose him, Papa likes him.  Papa can deal with him.  For the moment, I am simply determined not to care.  Though don’t think that Uncle W.’s suggestion is not entirely tempting.
I’m not sure I put down a very good description of the wards, so I am sure that is why it didn’t make sense.  Imato can certainly tell you more when he returns to Rousha.  I always seem to use too much detail or not enough when explaining spells.
No, I suppose it’s not truly over with the Fairy Queen but when I expanded Imato’s ward into the ring I could feel how much confronting me cost her.  I don’t think it is easy for her to come to a ring herself.  Add into that how much magic she used attacking me and the pain that Imato’s ward caused her and I think she will have to recover and recoup her magic before trying anything else, subtle or not.  It will not be anytime soon, I think.
Yes, I think Imato has perhaps taken his role of protector to heart a little more strongly than strictly necessary.  I have also had another letter from him cautioning me to be on the lookout for overly large ants.  I honestly couldn’t tell how serious he was being.
At least your visit with Dr. Bothe was useful, even if he himself is perhaps not.  He’ll just have to reconcile himself to you, won’t he.
I am sorry you were disappointed in your course options.  It does seem odd to think that history would help you heal anyone.  At least they all sound better than Feminine Politics.
Jace, of course, always had private tutors (or shared them with Tulson) but says that young men always receive a more rounded education and that you should try to enjoy it.  Several of the courses should at least be interesting.
Later
I had to put this aside earlier to deal with a minor domestic disaster.
One of the new upstairs maids apparently broke something in the parlor.  I’ve no idea what, for I haven’t been in there yet and I could get nothing coherent out of the maid.
Technically I’m only assuming she broke something because she had cut her hand.
After delivering the bleeding girl to Marta and assuring them both that I didn’t care that she’d broken whatever it was (I’m sure I don’t, though I should go look) I found that Jace had returned from sparring with Sir Aoweir’s squires.  (Sir Aoweir likes them to know that even a “civilian” can give them plenty of trouble.)
I gave Jace your letter so that he could read about your visit with his family.
“Now why didn’t I think of that?” he asked.  “It’s brilliant!  Taty was a bit harsh about the state of the room, though.  You didn’t see a reason for complaint, did you?”
I laughed.  “No, I didn’t.”  It’s true-- Jace may not be as fastidious as Imato, but he’s very neat.
“Still, I suppose fresh paint and carpets always make a room nice.  Really, if she can keep Taty out of trouble she deserves anything she wants,” he said with a grin.
“Arri’s worried about where we’ll stay when we visit,” I pointed out.
“Never mind that.  Plenty of places in Rousha.  I dare say the good Duke will have a large residence in the city regardless of how much time he’ll actually be spending in Rousha.  I’m sure he’ll be glad to put us up if he ever returns from his honeymoon.  He’ll appreciate the household staff having something to do if he’s not in residence and if he is it’s likely to be a large enough house that he wouldn’t even have to see us.”
So there you have it.  Jace also pointed out that there are usually rooms at the college that can be used for studying etc. and he says that Sprigs will be perfectly happy in the little stable, but that you really need a better horse.  Sprigs, he declares, would be perfect for Liop but you should have something much finer.
He is also glad that someone loves his mother’s birds as much as she does.
Later Still
The maid broke a very very ugly vase.  I should really give her extra pay for ridding me of it.
I could have reformed it with magic, but it simply wasn’t worth the effort.
This certainly highlights the fact that I’ve neglected the room.  I suppose I’ll have to find the lists I made and get back to work on setting at least my suite of rooms in order.  I have time, after all.  My lesson plans will be finished by tomorrow evening and there are still over two weeks until we begin.
Aug. 15th
It’s been a gloriously lazy weekend.  With the beautiful weather Jace and I spent a lot of time riding and working on restoring my poor garden to some semblance of order.  Poor Aron is not at all pleased.
Aug. 16th
Help, I’ve been kidnapped!
Castlegard
Jace says if that’s how I’m going to react to a surprise trip with my husband to relax before classes beginning he’s of a mind to never do it again.  He says it with a smile though.
This morning Jace said we should take our ride northeast out of Adya and have Ryland and Malia follow in a carriage with a picnic.  I agreed and we headed out on Argentum and Argyros.
Jace must have actually sent Ryland and Malia ahead, because once we got to a lovely meadow a couple hours’ ride from Adya, they were already there with the picnic laid out.
It wasn’t until we were packing things back up that I noticed our small trunks were in the carriage as well.  Jace just grinned and told Ryland that they could be on their way.  Once they were out of sight, Jace explained that he thought we’d spend the night in Castlegard.
At this point I was very suspicious-- more so because Jace’s grin just kept getting wider.
By the time we arrived in Castlegard I’d managed to get the whole tale from him.  He’d found a lovely cottage on a hill overlooking the ruins of the old fort.  (Castlegard was, of course, an important defensive position for Arella in the Great Northern War of 1718.)  As it was sitting empty, he convinced the owner to rent it for the week.
I’ve no idea how or when he managed to make such plans.  He’s clearly more devious than I ever suspected.
So, here we remain for the week.  I’m glad Malia thought to put this letter in my trunk.  (For naturally she was a willing co-conspirator.  I certainly didn’t pack my trunk.)
Aug. 17th
Jace has gone with Ryland to procure some obscure provision that the cook (who seems to have come with the cottage) was convinced a servant would never find alone.  I slept ridiculously late and only just finished the tray Malia brought me before begging to spend an hour in the garden.  I haven’t explored it yet, but she says the arrangement of plants is nothing short of genius and she’d like to rearrange areas of my garden in similar fashion if I don’t think she’s taking too many liberties.  Heaven knows my garden needs all the help it can get right now, so I sent her on her way.
I plan to not even stir from bed until someone makes me.
Aug 19th
We took a day trip across the border into Darsepan yesterday.  The city of Darse has an amazing market during the summer.  Apparently it is especially known for upholstery fabrics and I possibly went overboard ordering fabrics to redo the parlor.  I also found several lovely lengths of fabric for gowns.  I don’t think I’ve ever enjoyed shopping so much.
I think we also sampled food from every vendor’s cart.  Heavenly.

Aug. 22nd
We decided to extend our stay and leave tomorrow instead of yesterday.  The cook, despite acting as cantankerous as she has the entire week, actually seemed glad to have us for a couple more days.  Certainly her meals today have been above and beyond.
We spent Friday exploring the ruins but returned to Darse yesterday.  The market is even larger on Saturdays and there were entertainers everywhere.
It was naturally abominably crowded, but somehow that just added to the spirit of it all.
I know the length of wool I’m enclosing is far too hot to even think about wearing, but the color suited you so well and you can have it made up in a comfortable and practical style for attending classes.  Jace has already sent a note to his mother with instructions to take you and the cloth to her dressmaker and not to let you even think about cost.  Consider it a late birthday present.  The blue was too lovely to pass by.
It’s been a lovely week.  I think it was a perfect opportunity to relax before readying our classrooms and such.  Jace was very wise to think of it.
Aug. 23rd
I suppose I should close this letter, but I didn’t have Hermes with me in Castlegard so of course the letter came back to Adya with me.
Today I must see to the rooms where we’ll be holding classes.  I doubt there will be too much to do and what little there is the servants probably won’t let me do anyway.  I shall insist on arranging my own desk and books, though.
I hope you are feeling ready for your own classes to begin.  I’m far more nervous than I thought possible.

Love Always,

Keish

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!