CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- August 10, 2004


August 10, 2004
Dear Keish,

I’m glad to hear that you had a good journey home. I agree that most of the time riding is preferable to riding in a carriage. For the past several days I’ve been taking Sprigs out around the castle park before I go to visit Father. There are hardly any people around and we can gallop a bit. Sprigs is fourteen years old, but he still has quite a bit of energy. I think he misses Imato and the excitement of military training. He’s always so eager to get out of the stall when he sees me.
Clara took me aside at the reception and asked if you and Jace had pulled any pranks on the duke. I said I wasn’t aware of any. I’m not sure she believed me, but I’m sure she’ll be in perfect agreement that Duke Tulson deserves anything he gets. If you still want his direction, I have a copy of their itinerary. Clara gave it to me so that I could respond to her letters, although she admitted there probably wouldn’t be very many of them. It will take nearly three weeks just to reach Iconei. Correspondence will be very slow.
Brooksby is a problem. What if you found him another position and hired a new butler? Of course then you’d have to hold interviews… I guess I don’t know what I’d do. Uncle Winthrop thought that part of your letter was pretty funny though. He suggests ensorcelling Brooksby to not be afraid.
I don’t understand why people keep fighting you when you have the approval of the king. It just really doesn’t make sense. Maybe they’re the same sort of people as Mistress Thorpe.
I suppose it’s better that the queen of the fairies came after you rather than me. I’d have been terrified if she had confronted me like that and she really needed someone to stand up to her and not be intimidated. I’m sorry that she ruined your garden, but I’m really glad to hear that the wards are working. I read through your description, but I really don’t understand it too well. I imagine Mendel would like to see it.
Do you really think it’s over with the fairy queen? Nysa doesn’t. She says that since confronting you directly didn’t work, she’s more likely to resort to something subtle. I asked Nysa what we could do about it, but she doesn’t know. Just wait and try to be prepared. The next attempt at revenge might not happen immediately, it might take years. It’s scary to think about, but hopefully you’ll be able to divine the next attempt in advance.
Really it’s funny that Imato can’t stop checking up on people, even on his honeymoon. I’ve had two letters from him cautioning me to be on my guard in case the fairy queen changes her mind about leaving me and Liop alone.

I met with Dr. Bothe yesterday about my living arrangements. He said that under the circumstances he was not going to concern himself with where I lived, so long as it was decent. However, he could offer me no suggestions of where to search. Since, as he pointed out, I was there at the Queen’s special request it made to no sense to him to deny me registration just because I didn’t have an address yet. He wrote me a note to that effect which I put in the pocket on my belt. He was polite, but overall I got the impression that he was uncomfortable with me.
After my meeting with Dr. Bothe, I found myself standing again in the line for registration. The line was much shorter this time and when my name was called it was not the same course advisor as before. This time I was greeted by a tall, thin clerk. He seemed to take no notice of the fact that I wasn’t a man, but bowed me into his office with half-shut eyes. I handed him the note from Dr. Bothe, but he hardly glanced at it.
“Here is the list of freshman courses,” he told me disinterestedly.
I read down the list: science, language, art, history, math…
“Excuse me,” I said finally, uncertainly, “I’m a medical student.”
“Certainly, Miss, a medical student,” he nodded politely.
I waited a moment, but he didn’t say anything else.
“None of these are medical courses,” I said finally.
“Is Beginning Biology on the list?” he asked.
“Yes,” I said.
“That is the prerequisite for all medical classes. If it is not yet full, I recommend taking it this term. Then you will be qualified to enroll in Anatomy next term.”
“Oh,” I said, a sudden sense of discouragement gripping me, “So I can only take one course this term?”
“You should take four classes,” he corrected patiently.
I didn’t understand. I didn’t want to admit to not understanding that I know nothing about how college works. I suppose I should have talked more to Phyfe or Mendel and Sean. They could have told me.
“What do you recommend for a medical student?” I said finally, hoping for help.
“Ideally, you want to take Beginning Biology, Beginning Scholarly Writing, College Algebra course 1, and Introduction to History. However, most of these classes are likely to be filled this late in registering. You should prepare a list of second choices, and third choices.”
I stared at him in plain shock. How in the world will this help me cure Father? He took no notice of my surprise, but waited patiently with his pen poised for my selections. I looked blankly at the list and finally selected several beginning courses at random for second and third choices, using his recommendations for my first choices.
“Do I have to take so many non-medical classes every semester?” I asked unhappily as he wrote out the last of my choices.
“No, you will have more medical and fewer general courses as you progress,” he explained, “However a college education is a well-rounded and complete education. That is what makes it superior to an apprenticeship or a trade school.
“Thank you,” I said meekly and left the room.
Keish, what have I gotten myself into?

Since I was already in the area, it only made sense to try another street near the college looking for a room or apartment to rent. I had very little hope on the matter and the landlords I talked to did little to raise it. Not only were they unwilling to rent to a single young woman, but they knew of no one who would.
The further I walked down the street, the closer I realized I was getting to the Pren’s townhouse on the west side of the castle park. Since the park wraps entirely around the castle and I live on the east side, it is still a good distance from Uncle W.’s apartment, but it’s a good deal closer to Rousha University. It occurred to me that, having lived in the area all her life, Lady Pren might know of a place that I could live. I decided to ask her. I really didn’t want to have to apply to the Queen for help.
The Prens were all out, but the maid told me they were expected back soon, so she showed me into the parlor and I determined to wait for them. The servants were cleaning and it was fascinating to watch the scrubbing of Lady Pren’s finch cages and to ask questions about how cage birds are cared for. Hermes and Clotho do not live in cages and can only be coaxed inside during particularly severe thunderstorms.  They are not at all like the bright little exotic finches that Lady Pren keeps as pets. One of the maids directed me to a big illustrated bird book and I occupied myself very pleasantly for the next couple of hours until Lady Pren returned home. Taty was not with her, being out visiting a cousin.
By this time I was so interested in the finches that for the first several minutes I could only ask questions about them and Lady Pren was happy to tell me about the eggs her gouldian finches hatched for the first time last spring and her hopes of acquiring a pair of rare red canaries next year. It was with some reluctance that I finally turned the conversation to the purpose of my visit. I listed off as many of the places I had already applied to that I could remember.
Lady Pren was thoughtful for a minute, her brown eyes very serious.
“I don’t know of any place off hand,” she admitted, “but let’s send a note to Lord Brio saying that you will dine with us. Garen has several friends involved in real estate. He may well know of place.”
We returned to the subject of birds until Taty came home.
“Oh, Arri,” she called happily when she saw me, “Have you been out all day?”
I told her a little about my trip to the college, but I could see she was distracted.
“I have an invitation from Master Corey Gray to go to the symphony,” Taty told me and I remembered that they had met at my birthday party, “He said that you will be receiving one from Master Beagan Brio and that their friend Master Jerrett Pacelle will be coming with his fiancée Miss Katy Leonid. It’s for the sixteenth. Will you be able to come? I’m sure the invitation arrived while you were out today.”
I said that I would be happy to go to the symphony. Once that was settled, Taty asked me to tell her about my day in greater detail. We had gone in for dinner by this time and Sir Pren had joined us.
“Couldn’t Nysa live with you?” she asked. It was the obvious question and I explained that Nysa was needed to help keep track of Liop.
“Besides,” I said, “I think Uncle W. would miss her too much.”
Lady Pren nodded her head. “I think your uncle has been alone too long,” she said softly, “He needs a companion closer to his age, even if it is his sister.”
“Well, I think the solution to this matter is simple,” Sir Pren set down his fork and looked closely at his wife. “Did you have any plans for Jace’s abandoned room, dear?” he asked.
Lady Pren smiled, “That is exactly what I hoped you would say, love.”
“Oh!” cried Taty, “This is perfect! You can have Jace’s room! We’ll have to make it over, of course. It’s hardly suitable for a lady right now. Complete chaos…”
“Taty!” said Lady Pren reprovingly.
“Well, it is,” Taty continued, “We must repaint it and new carpets. It will be very pretty, you’ll see.”
I started to protest, alarmed at the idea of their having to go to so much trouble.
“We should wait and see what Arri has to bring before we call in the decorator,” said Sir Pren, clearly amused.
I was still trying to work out whether this was a good solution or not. It seemed like a huge inconvenience to the Prens. It’s not like they were planning to rent out Jace’s room. Where will you stay when you come to visit?
“We must give the room a good cleaning at least,” Taty was saying. She sounded disappointed that her efforts to redecorate were being dismissed. I was rather relieved by that thought.
“It will give you better access to Brynn,” Taty said, considering the matter more carefully, “We’re still a little far from the college, but if you had a horse… does Imato really need Sprigs anymore?”
Imato had been rather unclear when he gave Sprigs into my keeping, but I had assumed he would want him back.
“We could have magic lessons together,” Taty continued, “or would you still be meeting Nysa in the cave?”
“Well, I thought it was time for me to find a regular healer to tutor me.”
“Yes, that’s true,” Taty nodded, “but you could practice in the library.”
“Err…” Sir Pren interrupted uncomfortably.
The conversation was quite beyond my ability to control and I soon gave it up, considering the matter quietly to myself. The Prens’ townhouse is not as close to Rousha University as I was hoping to get. What about Sprigs? Could I keep a horse in the small stable out back? Would there be room with the Prens’ other horses? Then I wondered if they really wanted me, or if I would turn into an inconvenience? But it might only need to be for a term or two, until I could find a better arrangement.
“Arri?” Sir Pren’s voice drew me out of my thoughts. I looked over at him. “Would you join me in my office, please?”
I follow Sir Pren into the attic room that serves as an astrologer’s office. He cleared a place for me to sit among the clutter of antique telescopes and globes. Pointed out the window, I could see a large, modern telescope and looking up I saw that a map of the stars had been painted on the ceiling.
“First off,” Sir Pren said, “We need to draw up a formal offer of tenancy.” It took a few tries for him to find a blank piece of paper among the numerous stacks on his desk. Then he donned a pair of small round reading spectacles. Next he held the tip of a quill thoughtfully against the tip of his nose for a few minutes. When he finally removed it, I could see a small black smear of ink. He began to write. It was a good long paragraph and although I thought I should probably interrupt, I was too curious as to what the final document would look like to do so. He stopped, crossed things out, and started again several times. Finally he nodded in a satisfied way and handed it to me. I read it slowly.
“Does it look fair?” he asked after a few minutes.
“More than fair,” I said softly, “but I really didn’t come here to ask for a room to rent… I mean you weren’t planning…”
“I never make plans that can’t be changed,” he laughed, “and it pleases me that Taty will have a companion. Really you’ll be doing me a favor. I had been considering whether Taty ought to have a hired companion as so many of the quality young ladies in Rousha do. I think having you around, even if it is only in the evenings after school will be much better.”
I signed the agreement and Sir Pren shook hands with me as though we had just become business partners. The Prens are truly some of the kindest people I know, and now my housing problem is solved. I’m not sure how long I will stay with them, but certainly I will stay until my first term ends in December. It feels strange, going to live with someone else—kind of like going to live with Uncle W. when I was not quite fourteen. But then it feels entirely different, because I chose this move myself, and the Prens are nothing like Uncle W. anyway.

While I’m preparing to become a student, or continue being a student since I’ve never really stopped, you’re preparing to teach. It’s too bad we aren’t at the same school. I hope everything is going well for you.
Love,
Arri

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!