CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- May 26, 2004


May 26, 2004
Dear Arri,
I knew two things as soon as I saw her.
I was going to hire her myself, and the fairies had definitely made a mistake.  I think they took the wrong twin.

They arrived a little after lunch.
Jace had spent the morning engaged in some secretive task that not even Imato seemed to know anything about.  Gretel and I had been with the seamstress having fittings for Gretel’s wedding.  Since the dresses have to be done in plenty of time to allow the beaders to do their work, neither of us is allowed to change a bit between now and the end of July.  (I suspect you’ll be receiving a similar lecture while you’re here.)  Imato was at the training yard sparring.
We were all present for lunch, however (Imato grumbling that Jace had exiled him from their study all morning) and found ourselves rather free for at least the earlier part of the afternoon.  Since we were all quite curious about the March twins, (Imato insists he wasn’t really all that curious), we retired to the library after eating to wait for them.
Gretel had finally chosen a maid and while it was entirely certain that Emily (the maid) would suit Gretel perfectly, it was equally certain that Gretel’s mother was going to hate her.
Jace says hate is perhaps too strong a word, but really the poor girl has several strikes against her.
First of all, she’s very young-- barely 16-- which Gretel’s mother will insist means she’s flighty.  Second, up until now she’s been an upstairs maid; she has no experience as a lady’s maid.  The fact that she has learned a great deal from observing and talking to several lady’s maids (her older sisters are both lady’s maids in very fashionable houses) will mean absolutely nothing.   Third, and the thing Lady Aoweir is sure to find highly disturbing, Emily frequently wears her own hair in the more “modern” styles that some high-born ladies find wholly intolerable and cheeky on a servant.
As far as Gretel’s concerned, if Emily can do such things with her own hair then she’s surely competent enough to do Gretel’s hair.  It’s not as though Gretel’s style runs to the extravagant.
Now, once Gretel’s safely married, her mother’s disapproval will cease to matter (for which I am fairly certain Imato thanks the merciful heavens daily) but the question, of course, is what to do in the two-month interim.
“Just have her live here,” I finally said in exasperation.
Gretel stopped despairing and considered.  “Are you sure?”
I waved a hand.  “There’s certainly plenty of room.  She can share with my maid if I ever actually employ one.  And besides, for one-- you’re always here anyway and two-- the most pressing engagement on your calendar between now and your wedding is mine, for which I fully expect you to be here getting ready with me.  In fact, I demand it.”  I smiled.  “Isn’t the bride supposed to make strange demands?”
Gretel and Jace laughed while Imato muttered something about everyone being lucky if that was the oddest thing I demanded.  I chose to ignore him.  He’s been grumpy lately.  I think he’s put out that Jace and I are getting married first while he has to wait until July.
Just as that was all settled, there was a knock at the door.  “Mr. March and his sister, Milady,” Marta announced sounding only slightly annoyed.  Having never really had formal visitors requiring announcing until recently, it hadn’t even occurred to me that we haven’t employed a butler in untold years.  Marta had been playing the role, but I could tell I was going to have to add “find a butler” to my list of things to do.  It doesn’t appeal to me in the least, but heaven knows that if Papa hasn’t seen the need thus far he’s not going to go out of his way to find one now.  What are the odds I could convince Uncle W. to make Papa do it?  Hmm.  I will have to consider.
I had never realized until now how much work would be required to convert our little tower household of two to a suitable “real” household.  We’ve just been a random appendage of the palace for so long.  Perhaps too long.
Jace says I’m rambling.  Where was I?
With Marta’s announcement, Ryland entered the room, followed by a lovely girl with very fine features.  Her hair and dress were perfectly elegant in an understated way.  No one could complain that she dressed above her station, but no one with eyes could help but see she was very skilled.  I offered her my terms of employment as soon as introductions were made.  (I should amend my former statement-- no woman with eyes could help but see she was skilled.  Imato clearly thought I was utterly mad and even Jace looked surprised.)
As to how I knew the fairies had made a mistake-- waves of raw, uncontrolled power emanated from her.  So much so that it shocks me that no one else has ever noticed it.  (Even Imato, with his limited magic, could tell something was going on after being with her a few minutes.)
I could feel it so strongly that I quietly shielded myself after several minutes because I was starting to feel ill.  We’ll have to find a solution to that.  I refuse to find another maid, but I can’t feel seasick any time I’m in the same room with her either.
She was clearly somewhat tired from the journey, so once she’d accepted the position and we’d settled the details, she and Ryland went to look for Marta to get Malia settled.  Gretel finished writing her offer of employment to Emily, including the available room here with Malia, and sent it with them.
“Ryland, I’d like to see you in my study an hour before dinner, please,” Jace said as they left the library and Ryland nodded in agreement.
“I suppose I must find somewhere else to be for that too.”  Imato sulked for a moment before jumping on me.  “What in heaven’s name possessed you to offer her a position as lady’s maid?”
“I thought we were going to find her a position with children,” Jace commented.
Gretel shook her head emphatically.  “No maid travels with her hair done that beautifully unless she’s hoping to be hired on as a lady’s maid.  And even if that wasn’t her intent, such talent would be utterly wasted in a nursery.”  She looked at me ruefully.  “I’m almost jealous.”
I grinned.  “All the more reason for Emily to room with her here then.”
Imato was rubbing his temples.  “There was something odd about her.”
“So you did notice it,” I replied.  “I was going to ask.”
“I take it that was why you shielded yourself,” Jace said mildly.  He’s really too perceptive for someone without any magic.  “Surely you wouldn’t have hired her if she were dangerous.”
I rolled my eyes.  “Of course not.  But Imato’s right, there’s certainly something odd.  And the fairies definitely made a mistake.”
This was met with surprise, of course.  Imato, however, surprised me in turn.  “That was raw power I felt from her, wasn’t it?”
“A lot of it.  Uncontrolled.  It’s not enough to affect anyone without magic unless they’re extraordinarily sensitive, but it made me feel a bit ill.”
Imato nodded.  “I was dizzy.”
“Until she left,” I said.  He nodded in confirmation.  “I can teach you an easy shielding spell until we can come up with something more permanent,” I offered.  “Let’s give her today to settle in, though.  I don’t want to scare her.  I’m pretty sure she has no idea.”
Imato started to protest, as he usually does when I offer a spell, but Gretel spoke up quickly, overriding him.  “Yes, thank you.  A shielding spell sounds like an excellent idea.”  I could tell she wasn’t just thinking of uncontrolled magic waves.
“Would you like to get started now?”
Imato looked as though he’d like to do anything but spend the afternoon working a spell with me, but Gretel had that look and he had a little time before he and Jace needed to be to the tailor, so he agreed.
So Jace went back to whatever mysterious task he’d set for himself and Gretel tucked herself out of the way with the sensational novel she’s hiding from her mother, (and no, I am not that bad of an influence-- didn’t even know about this one until she showed it to me) and Imato and I spent about an hour on the spell.  He mastered the casting fairly quickly, but it will take practice for him to produce a shield strong enough to be very useful.  By the end of an hour it was enough to prevent a repeat of his dizzy spell, but not much else.
(It’s really a good, simple spell.  You and Liop should learn it too.  If we haven’t found another solution before you arrive, you’ll have to learn it, really.)
I don’t know that Imato would really have worked on it at all if Gretel hadn’t stayed.  When you get here, you simply must talk him out of his sulkiness.
As soon as Imato left to go with Jace to the tailor, I started pulling out books.  I did research on everything I could think of that might explain Malia’s strange magic.  I worked through dinner and into the night and still all I have this morning is my shielding spell and the theory that she has no idea that she is exuding power.

Now, I’m off to a fitting (for my wedding dress this time) and then the florist (we decided on the daisies and found a florist who had several colors), tea with Vanessa (don’t ask, I’m still not sure how I got stuck with that on my calendar) and then Gretel and I have an appointment with the jeweler to see men’s wedding rings.  (Yes, I know, I’m cutting it ridiculously close on that one.)
With such a full schedule today, Malia’s magic is just not a priority.  Marta is helping her settle in and Emily is supposed to move her things into their room today also.
Her magic will have to wait until tomorrow.

May 27th
Perhaps my shielding spell is not as good as I had thought.  I feel as though I spent the whole day in a carriage without springs going over an endless series of bumps and hills.  I’m going to bed.

May 28th
Papa received a letter from Uncle W. in this morning’s post declaring that you are all leaving today.  At this news, I suddenly realized that at the rate I’m writing, I’ll simply be handing this letter to you when you arrive.
Which is fine, really.  In all the excitement of your arrival I would surely forget to tell you something and that simply would not do.
So in that vein, I shall write everything that happened yesterday.
First, we discovered Jace’s mystery project.  Ryland presented himself in the breakfast room just as we’d finished eating.  He nodded to Jace without speaking.
Jace returned the nod and Ryland left.
Naturally, this made the rest of us curious, but rather than explaining, Jace very formally turned to Imato.  “I believe we have an appointment in the study,” Jace said in a tone that allowed no argument.
Imato raised an eyebrow, but permitted Jace to shepherd him out of the room.
Gretel and I shrugged and, naturally, followed them.
Jace hired Imato a valet!
I could tell Imato wanted to be irritated, but was impressed with the manners and meticulous grooming of White (who I’m sure has a given name, but seems not to need one).
Once Gretel and I were fairly certain that Imato was not going to throttle Jace for taking such liberties, we left them to sort out the details and went upstairs to my room.
I know I didn’t give you a complete tour of my suite when you were here, so I’m not sure if you noticed the two doors leading off my bedroom. (Not the one to the sitting room, these are on the opposite wall.)  I wouldn’t blame you at all if you have no idea what I’m talking about-- I seldom notice them myself.
At any rate, these doors each lead to rather grand wardrobe/dressing rooms.  To date, I’ve used one for gowns I wear only once a year and articles that need repair and the other for getting dressed for formal events… maybe three times.  (You do know what I’m talking about-- we used it to get ready for Gretel’s ball.  I’d forgotten.)
Of course, if I’d been using them “properly” one would be a beautifully organized dressing room and wardrobe while the other would have been empty. At least until Jace’s things are moved up here.
Which means that they must now be put in order.  All of the other rooms in the suite can be arranged at our leisure, but “our” rooms must be readied in advance.  (Our rooms.  I suppose eventually it will stop sounding odd.)  This, of course, also includes returning the large armoire/wardrobe I’ve been using to whichever guest room it’s supposed to be in.  We’ll leave that to the valets, perhaps.
First, it must be emptied, which can’t be fully done until the dressing rooms are arranged.
So Gretel and I decided to each tackle one of them, with the help of our new maids.  I had warned Malia that the state of my clothing would likely cause her despair, but I don’t think she believed me.  Emily, I’m sure, is glad she is Gretel’s maid and not mine.
Of course, I also planned to use the time to find out more about Malia.
Both maids were waiting for us when we got upstairs.  I could feel Malia’s magic by the time we reached the floor, let alone my room.  I shielded  myself and we entered my sitting room.  (Which is really the private sitting room since it is attached to the bedroom as well as having the door to the hall.  There’s a formal sitting room too that I’ve never used.  One thing at a time, though.)
We explained to Malia and Emily what needed to be done and got to work.  Malia and I took the room I’ve been throwing stuff in since it was the bigger mess.
“Oh my,” she said as soon as I opened the door.  She was immediately embarrassed.  “I’m sorry, My Lady, I didn’t mean…”
I cut her off, grinning.  “I did warn you.  And please, call me Keish.  Or at least Lady Keish.”
She smiled a little.  “I’ll try.”
We waded in (you laugh, but that’s nearly literal) and began sorting.
Within two hours we’d made good progress.  There was still a lot to do, of course, after all it wasn’t enough to just clear up what was in there, it all had to be organized and such.  But we had gotten a lot done, so I sent Malia to get Emily and go ask Cook for snack trays.
Malia looked a little confused.  “Tea trays?”
“Snack trays,” I said firmly.  “Cook will know what you mean.”
Honestly the only thing Cook will find strange is that I sent a maid rather than Jace or just popping in myself.  Since Cook is a traditionalist, she’ll find this an improvement.  And when Malia sees the tray covered in crackers and cheeses and a pitcher of water, she’ll understand, too.
Gretel, naturally, came to find me once Malia and Emily had gone.  I must have looked a little pale (well, paler than usual) because she hurried to where I say and crouched in front of me.  “Are you okay?”
I groaned a little.  “My shielding spells started to weaken about half an hour ago.”
“Have you talked to her about it yet?”
I shook my head.  “We haven’t talked much.  There was a lot to do in here.”  Gretel’s look clearly said “there still is”, but I ignored that and went on. “I’ll bring it up before we start working again.  Right now I’m going to have to recast my spell and strengthen it.”
Gretel nodded.  She looked worried, but gave me a few minutes of solitude to try something stronger.
Malia and Emily returned with the tray and we all sat down to eat in the sitting room.  (Which reminded me that it is also intended to be a private breakfast room.  I think I may add a more suitable table.  Perhaps tomorrow when we start moving furniture.)
The maids may have found it odd that they were eating with us, but they’ll get used to it.
Gretel and Emily didn’t stay much longer.  Gretel had yet another fitting-- this time at the beader’s, (you and I are being spared that) and she wanted Emily along, naturally.  They’d return later in the afternoon to help some more.
Once they were gone, I began asking Malia more about herself.  She told me a little about the woman that ran the orphanage (Mrs. Tratton) and what it was like growing up there.  This naturally led to some discussion of her brother’s absence.  The twins are barely 18, but that still means he was gone for ten years!  The fairies took eight to concede that they’d made a mistake and it took Darius a couple of years to try and sort out the damage.  (I know all this from Darius.)
“How much do you know about your brother’s… absence?” I asked carefully.
She looked thoughtful.  When she spoke, I could tell she was choosing her words with great care.  “He disappeared right in front of me.  There was a flash of light and he was gone.  Like any child, I knew the stories, but I wasn’t sure anyone would believe that the fairies had taken him.  I believe it was connected to my illness, though-- the fairies taking him.  I became ill the very next day and was nearly confined to my bed.  For seven years I could get up only with assistance.”
“Seven years?” I asked, a little confused.
She explained that she had been a little better the eighth year, though still unable to be out of bed for long periods.  Then one day, not long before her 16th birthday, she awoke and got up as though nothing had happened.
“Did you know your family had magic?” I asked.  I’d been trying to pin down which of the major magical lines the March twins might belong to.
She shrugged.  “I don’t remember much about my parents, but I do have vague impressions of my father doing magic.  Nothing large, just little tricks to amuse small children.  My brother did tricks for me, too.”
“What about your own magic?”
She looked confused.  “But, Mistress, I have no magic.”
I had realized she probably didn’t know about the way magic seemed to pour off her, but it hadn’t occurred to me that she would have no knowledge of her own power whatsoever.  “None?” was all I managed in my own confusion.
She furrowed her brow.  “I helped Ryland with a spell or two, but I couldn’t do them on my own.  I’ve certainly not done any magic since they took him.”
As I wasn’t sure what to make of this information, and I was feeling seasick, I suggested we should perhaps return to work.
“Of course, Mistress.  I’ll just take the tray and pitcher back to Cook.”
I was able to steady myself a bit while she was gone, but after another hour of sorting and organizing in close quarters I was extremely grateful to take a break for lunch.
“Take your time,” I told Malia as she took her leave.  “I’m sure Ryland will be free also.  Take a couple of hours and explore a bit.”
She smiled.  “Thank you, Mistress.”  She started to turn away, then frowned.  “I’m sorry, you asked me to call you Lady Keish.  Mistress is what we called Mrs. Tratton.”
I waved off her concern.  “Mistress is fine.  It’s certainly less stuffy than My Lady.”
She smiled again and left in search of her brother.  I collapsed on my bed for a few minutes, hoping that my stomach would settle enough for lunch.
By the time we went back to work I was feeling somewhat better, though I had gotten nowhere on a theory about Malia’s magic.
As we had gotten to a point where we could empty my armoire without simply causing further chaos, I worked on that so as to minimize my contact with Malia’s magic.  It didn’t help much, since she was still so close at hand.
By dinner, we’d gotten an amazing amount done accomplished, but I was relieved to send Malia away for the remainder of the night.
I ate the soup course and then excused myself to my own, smaller library to find a stronger shielding spell.  Given how tired I was, it’s amazing I found one and found my way to bed.

I feel much better today-- and I’m fairly confident that the new spell I found will work better.  I was up early enough to write all of this before and during breakfast, but now it is time to get to work.
Ryland (and Jace, Imato and White, of course) will be helping us move furniture today.  I have hopes that perhaps seeing Malia and Ryland together will lead to a new theory.

Later
New shield works better, but still dizzy.  After watching the March twins interact all morning I may have a new theory.
The original shield spell is still holding for Imato.  Maybe his shield is stronger than I thought.

Later Still
I think I’ve figured out what’s going on, but I am exhausted!  Luckily we got enough done today to justify letting everyone rest tomorrow and still have time the day after to make sure guest rooms are ready.  Jace thinks Liop would prefer a cot in with Imato-- then after the wedding he can have Jace’s bedroom if he wants.

May 29th
I slept ridiculously late and then regretted getting up!  I am so sore today.

The more I think about my new theory, the more I think I’ve got it right.
We’ve all heard, of course, of twins who are born physically joined.  I think these twins are magically joined.  It’s as if she is the vessel holding the innate power but only he can use it.
It would explain why he couldn’t become fully fairy-- and why Malia was so ill.  Everything the fairies did to Ryland to try to determine what was wrong would have drawn on her, but with the separation being so extreme it wouldn’t have worked.  The resulting backlash on her would have made her very sick indeed.  It’s a wonder either of them survived it, really.
I need to talk to Nysa and Brynn.  Thank heavens you arrive tomorrow.  Brynn won’t arrive until the second, but Nysa will be able to help.  She may even remember Ryland.  We need to find a way to stop Malia for leaking magic everywhere.  In addition to making any magicians near her ill, it could be very dangerous to her.  I shudder to think what could have happened if the Narls had noticed her.
It’s possible that simply having Ryland use magic would diminish the effect, but I don’t think he’s tried in years.  Perhaps Jace will have a better idea how to approach Ryland about all this.  We’re certainly going to have to sit them down and talk to them about it-- the sooner the better.

Later
Jace said he thought we’d best just tell them directly, so after lunch we asked them to join us in my (sorely neglected) garden.
(Side note, Malia enjoys gardening and is willing to take it in hand over the next few weeks.  There are still many things that it’s not too late to plant and the perennial herbs just need some clearing up.  All I’ve managed is to install a bench.)
We explained the situation in a straightforward but gentle manner.  Malia was appalled that she was making anyone ill.  I spent several minutes assuring her that no one blamed her for it.
Ryland was very quiet.  Finally he said, “I guess it would explain things, wouldn’t it?”
Jace nodded.  “A couple of the guests coming for the wedding are like you-- they’ve left the ring.  They should be able to shed more light on all this.”
“In the meantime,” I added, “would you mind trying a spell?  It would give me a chance to see how the power moves from Malia to you.”
“You’re sure it won’t hurt her?”
I nodded.  “There’s enough power just leaking into the air around her that you probably won’t even need to draw directly from her for a small spell.”:
Ryland looked at Malia.  She nodded.  He took a deep breath and turned his attention to a flower at his feet.  As it started to glow softly, I focused my attention on the two of them.  I could practically see the power being drawn to him as he held the spell.
When he released it he looked up at me.  “Did you learn what you needed?”
“I think so.  The power is drawn straight to you for the spell, just as I thought.  I suspect if we tested you away from Malia you wouldn’t register as having any magic at all.”:
“What about the magic that is… leaking, Mistress?  I don’t want to be the cause of any distress,” Malia said sadly.
Jace looked thoughtful.  “Is there some small spell that Ryland could maintain that would help counter that?”
I thought a moment.  “Perhaps.  Will you find Imato for me?  And tell him not to shield himself.”  Jace left and I turned back to Ryland.  “The simplest thing I can think of in the shielding spell.  If you cast it in the morning it should draw some of that power throughout the day, but it doesn’t draw enough to cause problems even if used for days on end.”
Ryland was willing, so I taught him the spell, which he mastered almost immediately.  I had him release and recast a couple of times, then cast it once more as Imato approached.
“What’s this all about?” Imato asked.  He was a little out of breath, so I knew Jace had found him right at the end of his run.  That actually made it easier.  If he was already exerted, he should feel the effects of Malia’s magic right away.
“Testing a theory.  It seemed better to risk you being dizzy than me being violently ill.”
He huffed.  “You pulled me away from a workout to be a guinea pig.  I should have known.”  He paused.  “I don’t feel anything.  What did you do?”
He sounded genuinely curious, so I explained.
“Well, it seems to be working.  Can you release your shield a little at a time?  Maybe then you won’t become violently ill.”
I started to slowly weaken my shield.  Bit by bit I let it go without feeling any ill effects.  By the time I had dropped it completely I could still feel Malia’s power, but it wasn’t overwhelming.  Interestingly, there was now an aura of power coming from Ryland as well, but it was much less noticeable.
Since the experiment seemed successful, Ryland agreed to continue using the shield spell until we found a better solution.

May 30th
I received your letter earlier, and though we expect you soon, answering it will give me something to do.
I suppose I wouldn’t know what to say to Phyfe either.  Plenty of time to deal with that later.
Congratulations on your exam score!  We’re all suitably impressed, though not a bit surprised.  We’re going to celebrate when you arrive tonight!  I’ve already spoken to Cook.
Jace says Imato mentioned it at every opportunity when they were sparring today.  He’s a very very proud brother.
As to the question of how well-educated Malia is, all I can say is Mrs. Tratton sounds like a woman I would like a lot.  She ensures that every child in her charge has a basic education as well as more specific training as they get older to allow them to find employment.
I’m so impressed with the education Malia’s had that I believe I’ll send Mrs. Tratton a donation.  She certainly deserves high praise.  Perhaps I’ll even go up there…

You’re here!!

Go to PORTRAITS

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!