CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- May 12, 2004


May 12, 2004
Dear Keish,
You’ll have heard about the skirmish with Greste. Uncle Winthrop says it’s nothing to worry about, but the king made inquiries about Father’s health and he activated the 10th Guard Unit. We sent them off with a big parade this morning. I’m glad Imato is only a squire still, but that won’t last much longer. Hopefully the problem with Greste will be over by then too.
I got your letter, but there wasn’t much to say. I’ve stopped the magic lessons so I can concentrate on the exam. I don’t dare mention this to Brynn. I’m going to resume right after your wedding. I want to show Nysa the prairie; maybe she can tell where it is. Right now I’m sick of studying, but I don’t feel ready yet. Master Imkell says I probably won’t ever feel ready.
You’re going to live with Uncle Adlen after the wedding? I’m so glad! Uncle Winthrop was worrying about him being left all alone in the tower. He said Jace is to be “commended” for agreeing to the idea. Perhaps you can have that information printed in the society column and then fewer maids would apply for a position.
I have not heard from Phyfe since the day we were mugged. I had lunch with Taty yesterday. She says he didn’t come to the Forshaw’s social. I received an invitation to that too, but I didn’t feel like going anywhere. Taty says it was nice, but nothing exciting. However, she says the Bashiyra’s are hosting a dance on the 13th and I must go with her to that. I’d really rather not go, but I said I’d think about it.
A police officer came and took a statement from me. I tried to avoid telling him about the flying bricks, but it couldn’t be helped. He just kept asking why exactly the muggers ran away without taking anything. Then he asked me if I was absolutely sure the building was okay. I had to call in Nysa to talk to him. He was very professional until the end when he thanked me for giving him the funniest statement he’d heard in months.
I’ll ask Brynn if she minds calling on Phyfe. I don’t want him to have any more problems.

May 14th
I went to the dance last night. Taty said I must come with her as she is avoiding Master Parker Dyle. I didn’t see how my coming would help, but I think she’s well justified in wanting to avoid him, so I agreed. She promised not to let me dance more than two times (I guess if I dance less than that people will wonder if I am unwell). She did a good job for the first half of the dance by insisting we play two rounds of green-iris with Lord Bashiyra and Master Collins, but then Master Collins asked her to dance, and so I was left alone. I was shuffling the cards while Lord Bashirya went in search of more players when I felt a tap on my shoulder. It was Lord Phyfe. I felt my face go very red.
“Will you dance with me, Lady Arri?” he asked, “Would you mind terribly?”
“I… I…” I had not seen him since the day I made bricks fly around his head. “I really shouldn’t abandon Lord Bashiyra. He should be back any minute with two more players and the game requires four.”
Lord Phyfe coughed awkwardly.
“You’re right, of course,” he said, glancing around, “I’ve stepped on a few too many feet tonight. I’m sorry.” He walked away leaving me feeling terrible. I shuffled the cards again.
Lord Bashiyra returned having been unsuccessful at finding anyone to play cards. I had no choice but to leave the table and stand against the wall. I moved as close to the curtains as possible and tried not to be noticeable. Hopefully after one dance, Taty and Master Collins would return.
I felt another tap on my shoulder. It was Sean!
“Lady Arri,” he said, “I was hoping to find you hiding around somewhere. Would you dance with me?”
He led me out onto the floor and began a very simple dance.
“I’m only in town for two days on business, but I thought I’d have some fun tonight.” Sean is almost as good a dancer as Mendel, but unlike Mendel, he never shows off. While we danced he updated me on Moonstone’s growth. Mendel has been working with the foal every day.
“I just thought I’d warn you that Mendel has scheduled his entrance exam for the same day as yours,” Sean added, smiling.
“Why does he bother with college at all?” I asked.
“You should ask him, Arri,” said Sean, turning me around suddenly, but not letting me trip, “give him a chance. I think you’ll want a friend in college, and Mendel would be a good one.”
The dance ended. Taty returned and I didn’t have to dance again that evening.
This summer is going to be so busy. I don’t see how you’re going to find time to teach a class. But maybe after the wedding things will get less busy for you. I think you’ll love teaching. It must be so exciting to see all of your plans working out.
I’m going to send letter off now. It has to go by normal post now, because Clotho is sitting on a nest and Hermes must bring her food all day. It’s a good thing we don’t have anything urgent to say to each other.
My exam is on May 20th and then your wedding is next. We’re going to come a few days early. Uncle Winthrop says he has business in Adya that he wants done before the wedding so we can just enjoy ourselves afterwards. It’s so exciting!
Love,
Arri

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!