CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- March 12, 2005


March 12, 2005
Dear Arri,
They’re here.  “FINALLY” as Taty said.
What, pray tell, made Uncle W. think it would be a good idea to send Caden’s very large firework order with them?
After two-and-a-half days of traveling with Liop and fireworks and Nozama Nysa was looking decidedly nettled and Taty was muttering about being glad to be the youngest child.  Both were very very glad to turn Liop over to Master Zart.
“For the duration,” Nysa said dryly.
Caden was here when they arrived (I think he was nearly as excited to see Liop as Keaton was) and gleefully began looking through the crates of fireworks as Dylan and Reid brought them into the drawing room.  (Since Dylan is also our “Master of the Menagerie” he and Nozama had to be properly introduced first.)

Taty immediately began remonstrating me for not giving more detail or sending a sketch to her or you of my “very dramatic” (Jace’s description) new dress-- the one I had made for my birthday.  Apparently it was the height of cruelty to not give a detailed account and sketch, so I’ve been ordered to rectify the situation.  This meant showing her the dress, of course, but also sending a sketch to you with apologies.
When Malia brought it out of my dressing room, Nysa and Taty both gasped.
I suppose it is rather bold, but since I didn’t wear it to Stacia Pastile’s presentation after all, I hadn’t gotten many reactions yet.  (Caden demanded that I reserve such a dramatic fashion statement for HIS ball.  Since his demands were as annoying as his pleading had been, Jace picked a different gown for me just to make him be quiet.)
When I initially went to the seamstress to have a gown made for my birthday, Annette all but pounced on me.  “How do you feel about something new and daring, Lady Keish?” she asked, eyes sparkling.
“I presume you have something in mind,” I said dryly.
“I want to try it, but no one else at court is bold enough to wear it,” she explained, handing me a sketch with a flourish.
I’m enclosing the very sketch for you.  I was surprised, to say the least.  The design is shocking without being scandalous, and she was right-- no other woman at court would dare wear it unless someone else did first.
I decided I rather liked it.  If I hadn’t worn red and gold for Gretel, the colors would have concerned me, but the rich brocade held too much drama for me to turn down.
And of course the little hat just makes the whole thing.
I made Annette very happy by choosing it, and she made me very happy by turning it out perfectly.  Jace’s initial reaction was all I needed to love this dress.
Taty wanted to try it on, but I’m at least a full three inches taller than she is and it just wouldn’t do.  The tails on the coat require height to pull them off.
She was disappointed, but her father had given her a very generous shopping allowance for this trip, so she dragged Nysa and me to see Annette immediately, who was thrilled to show Taty all manner of similar designs and fabrics.
Taty was trying to talk Nysa into having a dress made also, but Nysa just ducked her head with a smile and demurred.

I left them to it and wandered back to the drawing room to find Caden and the boys still eagerly sorting fireworks.
“Oh, there you are Keish.  Good.  What‘s all this about Keaton not being in Adya for his birthday?” Caden launches into discussions with no preamble whatsoever sometimes.
“He’ll be in Leilan, with his parents, for the whole summer,” I replied.
“Denying these two boys the chance to celebrate each other’s birthdays!”
I rolled my eyes and waited for Caden to get to his point.  Assuming he had one.
Jace came in before he could make it.  “I do hope you’re not yelling at my wife again,” Jace told Caden by way of greeting.
“I just think it’s an injustice that Liop and Keaton with each miss the other’s birthday,” he said.
“And you just hate injustice,” Jace teased.
Caden looked mildly hurt.  “You know I do.  But never fear, I have a plan.”
“Here it comes,” I muttered.
“We’ll celebrate all our birthdays.  We’ll throw the best secret birthday party for half a dozen people anyone has ever seen.”  He furrowed his brow.  “Or not seen.”
Despite his odd phrasing, both boys picked up on his meaning immediately.
“Can we, Keish?” Keaton asked hopefully.  The longing in his eyes was almost heartbreaking.  Doubtless a good birthday bash wasn’t the proper thing in Leilan.
Liop had grabbed Jace’s hand and was switching languages every third word as he begged Jace to agree.
I laughed, holding up a hand to stop the madness surrounding me.  “Throw whatever party you’d like, Caden, but it’s on you.  Jace and I have finals to deal with.”
Caden bowed with a flourish.  “Of course.  I will see to everything.  I just need your drawing room here and your servants.  Now if only there were fireworks we could use indoors…”
Liop scrambled from Jace’s side to one of the crates.  He withdrew a small box.  “These are Uncle W.’s latest invention.  They’re a cross between the little firecrackers he brought at New Year’s and real fireworks.  He says they can be used indoors.”
Caden’s face lit up.  Heaven help us, it’s like we have three boys on our hands.  He set the box carefully on a table.  “These will stay here then.  We’d best put the rest of these back in their crates, though, so that they can be properly delivered to me.”
Jace and I left the boys helping him as all three listed off the terribly extravagant menu they thought the party needed.
“Save Thursday night,” Caden called after us.
“Thursday’s also the day we’re going to the museum,” Jace reminded me.
I sighed a little, but smiled.  “Should make for an interesting day.”

At dinner Caden told everyone about the birthday party.  (How he explains all the time he spends with us to his parents, I have no idea.)
Papa  and Taty were eager conspirators, of course, but Nysa looked thoughtful.
“I haven’t thought about my own birthday in a very long time,” she said slowly.  “I don’t even remember when it is.”
“July,” I told her.  “I suppose we overlooked it completely in the chaos last summer.  That was thoughtless of us.”
She shook her head.  “I don’t need a celebration.”  She furrowed her brow.  “I’m not even certain how old I am.  I would have to ask Winthrop.”
I smiled.  “Since Brynn says you won’t age normally I’m not sure your age on paper would be correct.”
Caden shrugged.  “Just pick any age you like.  High society ladies do it all the time.  My mother was 35 for an improbable amount of time.  She used to love it when people would ask how many of us were her stepchildren.”
Papa laughed.  “Ellean always claimed to be older than she actually was, rather than younger.  She said she’d rather people thought that she looked incredibly youthful for her age than that she was simply young.”
That made us all laugh, of course.  Personally, I think my mother had the right idea.

March 13th
Liop and Keaton are fine.
The veterinarian assures us that while Thor may always have a slight limp, puppies are very resilient.  He should be back chasing things in just a few days.  Though hopefully not fireworks.
Jace has given the boys a stern fatherly talking to, though secretly I think he’s at least a little amused.
At least they were using Uncle W.’s new indoor fireworks.  Unfortunately they do still explode.  Since they were in the drawing room throwing them against a blank wall everything would have been fine if Thor hadn’t thought it was a game of fetch.
Master Zart is absolutely mortified, blaming himself for leaving the boys to themselves for an hour.
“Nonsense,” I told him.  “You certainly deserve to eat a meal in peace.  Besides, if they hadn’t gotten into trouble with the fireworks today they’d have managed to find another time.”
“At least the remained in the tower with them,” Taty pointed out helpfully.  She and Malia had been in the solarium looking at fabric.  Not having the blueprints from Mendel yet certainly hasn’t deterred Taty, though her dress has distracted her somewhat.
“Really given their mutual interest in alchemy an explosion was inevitable,” I declared, standing up from my crouched position examining the remains of the chair Thor had dashed under.  I wiped the dust from my hands.  “Personally I’m relieved to have it over with so early in the visit.”
Brooksby took charge of the remaining indoor fireworks, promising to lock them in the butler’s pantry.  I made sure he wouldn’t give them to anyone-- not just the boys-- in case one of the enterprising young magicians managed a glamour.  I doubt either of them could, but Liop has taught me to be extra cautious about such things.

While the boys were trying to blow up the drawing room, I was studying your father’s pocket watch.  True to his word, Liop had not cast any spells on it, thankfully.  In fact, he was very careful not to handle it any more than necessary and delivered it to me wrapped in a handkerchief.  I commended him for his caution and he blushed.
“I heard Arri telling Gretel what you’d said about harmonics,” he said with a little shrug.  “I didn’t want to complicate anything.”
He and Keaton wanted to help, but I insisted that Jace be the only one to remain in the room with me.  I was already obviously going to have to sort through lingering impressions of Imato to do this-- I didn’t need any other magical complications or interference.  (Of course, if I’d known the boys were going to go play with fireworks I might have kept them with me.)
“I’m not a complication?” Jace asked with an impish grin once everyone had left.  He put his hands around my waist.  “Am I at least a distraction?”
I fixed a playful glare on him.  “Well if you’re going to try to be one I can have someone else help me with the maps.  Papa’s influence isn’t quite as focusing, but he won’t be difficult about it either.”
Jace laughed and kissed my nose lightly before releasing me.  He took up a position at the other end of the table with the map that he and Caden had painstakingly marked with Imato’s current position as well as the patrol routes and other camps.  “I am yours to command, as always.”
I rolled my eyes and picked up the pocket watch., holding it lightly above my mirror.
“Keish?” I heard Imato ask groggily.  He was alert almost instantly.  “What’s wrong?”
I held up a hand.  “Nothing.  Nothing is wrong.  Apparently I misjudged how recently you’d carried your father’s watch.”
Imato fell back onto the cot.  “My father’s watch?”  Confusion was quickly replacing adrenalin.  “I took it with me when I went to see him before leaving Rousha.  But what does that…  Why can I see Jace?”
Jace gave a crooked grin.  “Is this what you knights do?  Sleep away the day?”
“Only when we’ve been up all night on patrol.  Keish, what’s going on?”
I sighed as I tried to untangle the threads on magic in my mind.  “Imato, have you been practicing calling spells?”
He looked startled.  “Well, yes.  Queran and I were experimenting with them as a means for patrols to report in.”
“And were you dreaming just now?”
“Yes… Jace was here…” He rubbed his hand across his face.  “I needed to tell him something…”
I sighed again.  “You used a calling spell in your sleep.”
Imato’s eyes went wide.  “I called Jace from here in my sleep?”
I laughed.  “Sort of.  You tried to-- at the same time that I was sifting through the harmonics on your father’s watch.  For anyone else it would be the most ridiculous magical coincidence conceivable.  For us,” I shrugged, “it’s being Brios.”
Jace was laughing softly as Imato struggled to make sense of what happened.
“Better to interrupt a calling spell than a ward,” I muttered, remembering when I interrupted Uncle W’s spell.
“Go back to sleep, Imato.  I’ll write as soon as Keish is done to let you know what she learns.”
Imato looked like he wanted to argue with that, but he was obviously exhausted.  “See that you do,” he said finally.
I pulled back, carefully releasing the calling spell.  I looked at Jace.  “Well that wasn’t what I intended.”
“But it was entertaining,” Jace replied with a smile.  “What are the odds of something like that?”
“For anyone else?  Nearly nonexistent.  For Brios?”  I laughed.  “I’m almost surprised it doesn’t happen more often.”
“Well, shall we try that again, love?  Not that I don’t enjoy chatting with Imato.”
I nodded and closed my eyes, gently pushing past all traces of Imato, searching for traces of your father instead.
I was rewarded with a dizzying swirl of images-- I was in the desert and a battle raged around me.  I stumbled and vaguely felt Jace’s arm go around my waist.  I felt him slide the map close, a quill held ready.
I steadied myself and saw your father fighting a mountain troll.  I’ve seen swordplay before, of course, but your father was amazing.
After several moments, the troll’s hand shot forward and ripped your father’s talisman from his armor.  I felt more than saw the ward around your father waver as I heard a grating laugh from the troll.  Your father was able to lunge forward, stabbing the troll, but the troll spun away, retreating with his prize.
Your father was immediately surrounded and I had to remind myself that I wasn’t there-- it wasn’t happening in front of me… there was nothing I could do for him.
I let my magic follow the talisman instead.  The troll who had taken it ran, darting here and there to avoid engaging with any of the other knights.  Suddenly he broke through the lines and I saw him run.  It felt like hours before he came to a small opening in a hillside.  Not large enough to be a cave, but just large enough to hide the troll.  He dove into it.
I reached for Jace’s hand and let my magic guide it over the map, marking the site of the battle, and the route the troll had taken.
I did not want to look in that hole, but I had to.
I pushed my magic forward, holding it at the opening a moment before seeking inside.
The troll was dead.  Your father had wounded him badly and as he ran he’d lost more and more blood.
The talisman was on the rock beside him.
Eyes still closed, I marked the tiny cave on the map and focused all of my energy on that talisman, trying to speed through the years to the present.
My eyes popped open and I smiled.
“It’s still there.”
Jace was studying the map.  “You know I never doubt you, Keisha, but are you sure about what we’ve marked?”
I thought about it carefully before answering.  Finally I nodded decisively.  “I am.  It’s there.”
Jace laughed.  “Well, who said this wouldn’t be easy?”  He pointed at the map.
I leaned forward to study it and laughed with him.
Imato’s camp is not an hour’s ride from the small cave I saw.  He’s camped practically right on top of it.
Jace started a letter to Imato immediately, but of course that’s when Keaton and Liop nearly deafened me with simultaneous calling spells.  (He finished it this evening and Caden sent it off with a pigeon so Imato should have it in three or four days.)
Since Nysa came running too, I gathered they weren’t very specific about who they called.
I made them each learn a simple calling spell this morning, but hadn’t expected them to need it this soon.

Jace insisted that they explain what happened to Caden and apologize, since they were his fireworks.  When he and Tish showed up to have their lesson exchange, the boys hung their heads and explained.
Caden tried not to laugh.  At least, I think he tried.
They let the boys stay for both the science and writing lesson, so the boys knew they were forgiven.
Tish declined the invitation to stay for dinner, but Caden accepted, of course.
Dinner was a lively affair, highlighted by Keaton and Liop’s accounts every science experiment they’ve ever tried.  And several rather alarming ones they’d like to.
In the library afterward I tried to ask Caden more about Raquel’s letter.  (He’d been put out earlier having received a letter saying that she and her family would be unable to attend his ball after all.)
“I’m sorry, Keish, what were you saying?  I was busy flirting with Taty.”
“So I noticed.  I also noticed that Jace is rather studiously ignoring you both.”
Caden grinned.  “He knows I’m not serious.  And she’s not serious.  And that we both know the other isn’t serious.  Besides, it was her idea.”
I raised an eyebrow at Taty.
“A full week in Adya without my parents-- if I were to come home without even the barest flirtation, Kelly Minn would never forgive me,” she said earnestly.  “It’s harmless.”  She took Caden’s arm and drew him away.  “Now let me tell you more about my dress…”
I shook my head.
“I know,” Jace said, suddenly beside me.  “It’s ridiculous, but she’s insistent.”  He shrugged.  “I trust Caden, though.  For the most part.”
I chuckled, watching as Caden dutifully studied the sketch Taty had gotten from Annette.
“Is she ruining Father with that dress?” Jace asked lightly.
I laughed.  “Of course not.  Taty’s a perfectly sensible young woman with a healthy allowance.”
He gave me a look.
I smiled.  “And I told Annette that I would be taking care of any extra cost incurred to finish it by Thursday.  After all, Taty, Nysa and I are going shopping to the Spring Market Wednesday afternoon and it wouldn’t do for Taty to have spent all her money beforehand.”

March 14th
By lunch time today, Liop and Keaton had already dragged Master Zart to Tish’s laboratory, the science museum and back again.  I think he’s beginning to realize what he’s in for this week.
After lunch Nysa gave them a magic lesson-- after she and I discussed age-appropriate spells.  It was an interesting discussion.  Her work with Gretel seems to have made her less upset about Liop and magic, but we still disagreed on several points.
Like fire.  Though after yesterday’s incident with the fireworks I think I won that argument more easily than I would have otherwise.  It seems like a bad idea to teach them to start fires after yesterday.  (Yesterday they were using the matches Tulson sent Jace.  Those have been confiscated and hidden, naturally.)

March 15th
I’ve told Master Zart he may as well suspend lessons that do not involve science for the rest of Liop’s visit.  The boys insisted on observing Tish’s final exams today, and she agreed so long as they remained quiet.
Master Zart told them to take notes if they had any questions.  I think they each filled all of the paper they took with them.
My finals are going well, but I shall be very glad to be done with them.  I just have to get through tomorrow morning.
I had a break for lunch today, and while I ate Taty and Malia looked at more sketches than I’ve seen since Gretel’s wedding planning.  Except that these were rooms and furniture instead of dresses and flowers.
As Taty chattered on, I saw Caden walk past the breakfast room.  I called out to him.
“Jace is in his practice yard getting ready for his finals tomorrow,” I informed him.
He nodded.  “Yes I know.  Actually I… I needed some advice.  I was talking to your father.”
“Oh?  Nothing serious, I hope.”
Caden shrugged.  “Since there is a high likelihood that things will not go well Saturday, I felt there are certain matters I would like taken care of ahead of time.”
“Your inheritance from your grandfather.”
He nodded again.  “Your father was kind enough to give me the name of his solicitor.”
“Master Warwick is a good man.”
Caden gave me a small smile before turning his attention to Taty and her monstrous pile of color options.  Amazingly, he managed to flirt, pay attention to the details of her ideas, and get away in less than an hour.

Taty has finally talked Nysa into a dress, which I’m certain will mean Annette will be up all night tonight and probably tomorrow, but she says she doesn’t mind a bit.  She’s thrilled to be able to experiment more in this style.  Nysa’s is much less dramatic than mine or Taty’s, but it’s lovely.


March 16th
I wish you could have been with us at the Spring Market today, Arri.  The weather was beautiful and Nysa, Taty and I had a beautifully relaxing afternoon.
Which was exactly what I needed after the last 2 ½ days.
Of course, since Taty and Nysa are having dresses made, none of us shopped much.
And since they both had fittings before dinner, I had two free hours to take Argentum out.  He was nearly as anxious for the freedom as I was.  I only wish Jace had been free.  I think Argyros did too.
“You should have had Bryce ride with you so that she got the exercise,” Jace said later.
“I thought about it, but he seemed to have his hands full with Vanessa’s new filly.”
Jace laughed.
Vanessa’s filly has been the talk of the court for the past week.  She insisted that she would train the poor horse herself and was nearly thrown for her troubles last week.  Thankfully, she was disgusted with the situation and turned the horse over to Bryce and the other stable hands.

Master Zart found me in the library with Jace and Caden almost as soon as I’d returned.
“I thought you should see this, Lady Keish,” he said.  He handed me a note.
Written in Keaton’s careful hand was the following:
We have gone to battle the Dragon of the Grove.
Do not worry-- we will be home in time for dinner and we will not leave palace grounds.
And of course the dragon is, in point of fact, imaginary.
-Keaton (and Liop)
“They’ve discovered my old nemesis,” I said with a laugh.  “Someone’s been telling tales about my childhood.”
“Your father, I‘d imagine,” Jace said after taking the note from me and reading it.
“Should I go looking for them?” Master Zart asked.  He looked worried.  After the incident with the fireworks he hadn’t wanted to take his half day, but I’d insisted.
I shook my head.  “No, they’ll be fine.  I taught them both that simple calling spell for if they get into trouble and I‘m certain Brooksby didn‘t let them take any fireworks.  Besides, I spent lots of time exploring the palace woods as a child.  It’s perfectly safe.”
“Did you not have any friends?” Caden asked.
I shrugged.  “There was Bryce.”
“Bryce?  The stablehand?”  he asked incredulously.
I smiled.  “Well they just called him ‘boy’ then.  His grandfather was the stable master and he was always underfoot.  I think at some point his grandfather decided that sending him off with me took care of two problems at once.  He made an excellent squire to my knight.”
Caden rolled his eyes.  “Only you…” he muttered.
I chose to ignore him.  “Do you know if they took Nozama?” I asked Master Zart.
He nodded.  “Dylan says they took Zest as well.  He wanted to go with them, but they insisted he stay with Thor.”
I shrugged.  “Zest shouldn’t be any trouble.  And she certainly knows her way home.”
Master Zart still looked concerned.
I put a hand on his arm.  “If they aren’t back in a quarter hour, I’ll call for them.”
I didn’t have to call them.  Within ten minutes Caden, who was sitting by the window, called Jace and I over.  “The conquering heroes, I presume?” he said with a grin.
The library is quite high, of course, so it was hard to make out any details, but the two small figures had to be Liop and Keaton.
I reached for my opera glasses (which were luckily handy) and looked again.
And laughed as I haven’t laughed in quite some time.
Between the two boys, sitting regally on Zest’s back, was Nozama.  In miniature armor.
Obviously I was right to be concerned about the boys learning to glamour.
I pushed a hint of magic toward them to determine what they’d done.  It was a simple glamour, one that wouldn’t hold up to a close inspection, and it took both of them working together, but the details were impressive.
Jace and Caden both borrowed the glasses and laughed as well.
“Ah, if only Tish had an instant reflectagraphy device,” Caden said once he’d caught his breath.

At dinner the boys regaled us with the story of their adventure.  Papa said it rivaled the stories I told as a child.  I retorted that I hadn’t had a tamarin to star in my stories.
Caden ate with us again, continuing his ridiculous flirtation with Taty.
“How do you explain all this time away from home to your mother?” I asked him finally.
“She thinks I’m at my club, playing billiards and tavern games and generally reveling in the final vestiges of true bachelorhood,” he replied with a dramatic sigh.  “At home I am on my most perfectly precise behavior, though I’m avoiding Stacia, of course.  It’s been easy this week-- she’s been at the dressmaker’s daily.”
Taty giggled.  (If I wasn’t certain neither of them were serious about their game, I’d almost be worried.)  “Is that who that is?  Annette has had quite the time of it, making certain she doesn’t see our dresses.  She knows Keish is wearing hers Saturday and doesn’t want anyone else to get ideas and end up competing with Keish for attention.”
“You realize there simply must be dancing tomorrow night,” Caden informed me, jumping topics with his usual dizzying speed.
I raised an eyebrow.  “And why must there be dancing?”
Caden looked affronted.  “These lovely ladies insist they cannot extend their stay in order to attend my ball.  Since they are depriving me of the opportunity to dance with them then, I insist that there must be dancing tomorrow.”  He said it as if it were the most obvious thing in the world.
Jace smiled at me.  “I never turn down an opportunity,” he said.
I sighed, but I didn’t really mean it.  “Constantly being forced into dancing… in my own home,” I said, shaking my head.
“I should think you’d enjoy it more, Keish,” Taty said.  “You and Jace do it so well.  And you always look so elegant.”
I allowed myself to be persuaded, of course.
“But what about music?” I asked.
Papa smiled.  “Brooksby plays extremely well.  He was often pressed into service accompanying my sister-in-law.”
I looked at Brooksby in surprise.  “Brooksby, how have you hidden such talents?”
“I shall have to insist upon it, Brooksby,” Caden said before he could respond.  “We can’t have Jace or I playing if we’re to be dancing.”
I rolled my eyes.  “You know you always have my unwavering permission to tell him no,” I told Brooksby.
I was rewarded with a small smile.  “Yes, my lady, but how could I say no to Mistress Tatyana?”
Taty beamed at him.
Keaton declared that the palace dance tutor will be thrilled about such practical application and Liop began listing every dance he could think of in every possible language.  Jace finally had to remind him to breathe.
With the promise of spending the day at the museum tomorrow, the boys went off to bed willingly enough, though I’m certain the excitement kept them up for some time.
March 17th
What a day, Arri.
I think Tish and Caden were as excited about the museum as the boys were.  Even Master Zart was more animated than normal.
As expected, they ran the rest of us ragged.  Very quickly.
I think Taty lost interest before anyone else, with Nysa not too far behind.  They had their final fittings, though, and left the rest of us not long after lunch.  (A picnic at the museum.  The boys were thrilled.)
My attention started to wander eventually also, and Master Zart noticed.
“Lady Keish, you’ve had a very long week.  I’m sure the boys would understand if you left early,” he told me as the boys eagerly listened to Tish’s explanation of whatever contraption we were standing in front of.
I laughed.  “I’m not sure they would even notice.”
Jace smiled and took my hand.  “Let’s take that ride I missed yesterday.”
Master Zart nodded his encouragement, so with a quick goodbye to Tish and Caden (the boys had already run ahead to the next exhibit) we slipped away.
We had a splendid ride.  The weather has been lovely-- much better than I expected.  I feel a storm coming, but I think it’s still a few days away and until then I will simply enjoy the beauty of early spring.
Now I’m waiting to go down for the party.
Jace found me at my desk, writing, and leaned down to kiss my cheek.  “I don’t think I’ve seen you in that gown.”
I smiled a little.  “That’s because I haven’t worn it since Euan painted me in it.  But it’s fairly simple and I promised Taty that I wouldn’t outshine her new dress tonight.”
Jace laughed.  “I’m always glad to see my sister shine,” he said, pulling me up out of my chair, “but no simple gown will ever make you shine less, love.”
“Don’t let her hear you say that.”
Jace winked.  “Of course not.  But it’s true nonetheless.”  He kissed my hands.  “Where is my shining little sister?”
I indicated my dressing room.  “Malia’s working her magic on them both.  Nysa didn’t want the attention, but Taty is nothing if not insistent.”
Jace laughed a little at that, then frowned.  “This isn’t about Caden, is it?”
I smiled, shaking my head.  “You know that’s just a game to them both.  Actually as I left the dressing room I heard her wondering when a certain Master Corey Gray will invite her to the opera so she can wear this dress.”
Jace blinked.  “At least Corey has a good head on his shoulders,” he muttered finally.

March 18th
Taty and Nysa came out just as I was writing the above.  Jace made all of the appropriate remarks and it was time to go down to the drawing room.
Caden and the boys were already there and Caden made a great fuss over both Taty and Nysa and their new dresses.
Both Keaton and Liop tried to follow his example, but they are just too young to pull off that level of flirtation and charm.  For which we should probably be thankful.
Papa gave me a wink that clearly said he thought I looked lovely too before joining Caden in his praise of Taty and Nysa.
I was perfectly happy to let them have all the attention.
Tish arrived soon after, looking amazing.  I’m not certain I’ve ever seen her in a gown.
I think Caden was thinking the same thing-- he stumbled just a bit over his greeting, his gaze lingering on her for a moment before he turned his attentions back to Taty.
Dinner was simple, but impressive nonetheless, and true to his word, Caden had put together an entire table of ridiculously exotic treats for the evening.
I think the boys quickly consumed their weights in sugar, but what else are parties for?
Before long, Caden called for Brooksby and the dancing began.  Brooksby is quite talented and played a wide range of dances.
We all danced and danced, trading partners with each new song.  After a while, I decided to sit a few out.  The fast waltz Jace and I had just finished left me breathless and dizzy.
I enjoyed watching everyone else dance.  Nysa was dancing with Keaton and Liop was dancing with Tish.  Papa was clapping and clearly enjoying himself.
When Jace cut in to dance with Taty, Caden came over to sit by me.
“Was that a subtle hint to tone down your flirtation?” I asked mischievously.
Caden laughed.  “I doubt it, actually.”  He was quiet a moment.  “Jace is a good friend.”
I gave him a questioning look.
“I think if I actually had intentions toward Taty… well, Jace would take me seriously.”  He laughed.  “I think he’d even give his blessing.  Maybe.”
I laughed with him.  “Maybe, indeed.”
“But, it’s not at issue.  As I told Jace yesterday, I’ve decided that without a doubt, I’m not marrying a woman under 20.”
“Really?”
He nodded.  “Taty’s a wonderful girl, and I’ve enjoyed our little game, but she is definitely too young.”
I smiled.  “I doubt Jace argued that point.”
“No, of course not.”  He gave me a crooked grin as the dance ended.  “Now Nysa, on the other hand…”
“I’m not calling you uncle.”
He laughed as he left my side to claim Nysa’s hand for the next dance.
We all stayed up ridiculously late.  The boys eventually more or less collapsed and Jace and Caden carried them to their room.
Once we’d all decided it was truly time to go to bed, Jace and I went upstairs to find Hermes waiting with your letter.
I started to open it, but Jace plucked it from my hand.  “Arri will understand if that waits until morning.”
“Later this morning, you mean?” I asked him with a laugh.
He nodded, turning me toward my dressing room and giving me a little push.
“Bossy,” I told him over my shoulder.
Jace just laughed.

Now that I’ve written everything about last night and read your letter, though, I can respond to it.  Liop, Taty and Nysa will be leaving this afternoon, but I doubt anyone else has stirred much yet this morning.
Caden is bound to pop up before then, so I’ll give him Mendel’s test when he does.  I refuse to even attempt it myself.
While you don’t have time to worry about Mendel and flying machines, I am too tired to even contemplate it.  I did read that to Jace as he was leaving to finish his finals, though, and he is highly amused.
I do not know what type of chickens Keaton wants, but I do know that Liop has been helping him with his proposal.  I think they’ve conned Master Zart into another trip to the chicken coops later this morning.
Yes, Tish did say something about the cell expanding too quickly if you passed too much air into it.  And Keaton and Liop have been learning all about osmosis this week, so I’ve heard all about that.  It is interesting how the cells respond to water that way.
It’s also interesting that you can’t banish the bacteria from the slide.  I wonder why.
Nysa and I have talked about Gretel’s magic and we found a couple of sound-related spells in the library.  Nysa says Gretel is very determined indeed.
I’m glad to hear that Beagan’s knighthood ceremony went well, though it does seem a little unfair for Corey not to have had some similar recognition.  What he did was very important too.  Perhaps I’ll have to send him a shield also.
I wonder what sort of object T’ay could be.  If only someone could figure out how to translate the rest of the document.
Taty will be thrilled to hear that Mendel drew up the townhouse yesterday.  She and Malia have agreed to continue their scheming (my word) through correspondence, so Malia will use the blueprints as a reference.
Later
Caden is delighted with Mendel’s test.
“Could you pass it yourself?” I asked him.
He gave me a pained look.  “It’s not for me to take.”
“So you couldn’t then.”
He just scowled at me.
Nysa, Taty and Liop have left.  Keaton is quite low this afternoon as a result.  Master Zart finally offered to take him to Tish’s lab to cheer him up, but Keaton declined, saying he’d work on his language assignment instead.  Apparently Master Zart had him make a list of interesting words he heard Liop use while he was here.  It’s quite the list.  Keaton had to come borrow a better dictionary.
I hope your break has been both quiet and productive.  I should be grading finals, but I refuse.  Instead I’m going out to the stables.  I’ve already sent word to Jace to meet me there as soon as his last final is concluded.
Tomorrow Malia and I will see what can be done about my garden and Jace and I will attend Caden’s ball.
This letter is quite long enough, though, so I shall have to start a new one for that.  It promises to be a very interesting evening.

Love Always,

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!