CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- February 23, 2005


February 23, 2005
Dear Arri,
Brynn received a small packet from Rousha today, containing copies of several of the Grestean documents as well as an attempted translation of one.
Once Jace and I finished with our classes this afternoon Caden joined us in our library as Brynn spread the pages across the table.
I picked up the “translation” but tossed it aside again only a moment later.  “The translation makes no sense to me.”
Jace picked it up and glanced over it.  “Rather like Liop’s translation of Arri’s scientific article probably.  Except that in this case the problem is a difficult dialect rather than a difficult concept.  Fairly useless to us at any rate.”
Caden was studying one of the Grestean documents intently.  He picked up another, comparing them, then reached for a third.
“Something you’d like to share?” Brynn asked, amused.
“I’m not sure,” he said absently, “but it’s possible…”  He thrust a page at Jace and me.  “Does this look like Sunem to you?”
I raised an eyebrow.  “Don’t ask me.”
Jace was studying the part Caden had pointed out but Caden gave me an odd look.
I shrugged.  “No one ever wrote spells in Sunem and no tutor ever managed to interest me in a language no one had written spells in, practicing magic or not.  Not even Master Sian.”
Caden rolled his eyes and turned his attention back to pointing things out to Jace.  “See this symbol?  Doesn’t that look like…”
“A Sunem name glyph,” Jace finished for him.  “Yes, I think you might be right.”
“And a southern Grestean sand tribe having a dialect that incorporates a little Sunem makes sense,” Caden continued excitedly.  “Geographically, I mean.”
“If it’s a Sunem name glyph why hasn’t anyone else noticed?” I asked.
“Probably because no one is quite as obsessed with Sunem as Nathan Sian,” Brynn said with a small smile.
“You know Master Sian?” Caden asked.
“Of course.  He was one of Ellean’s many suitors.”
My eyebrows shot up.  I certainly hadn’t known that about my ancient languages tutor.
Caden seemed somewhat less surprised.  “There are dozens of stories about why she chose Lord Leilani over so many other suitors.”
“They fell in love,” I answered simply.
“At first sight?” Caden teased.
Brynn laughed.  “I think at first Ellean encouraged him purely to be unpredictable.  There were a couple of young ladies visiting her when she received flowers from him for the first time.  Their shock… inspired her.”
Jace laughed too.  “Somehow that doesn’t surprise me.”  He picked up another document, finding another glyph.  “There are at least four different glyphs so far.”
I picked up the last few pages.  “Show me what you mean and I’ll mark them lightly.  Then the two of you can sort out how many there are and Brynn can copy them on fresh paper.”
“And then someone should take them to Nathan Sian,” Brynn added.  “If we can translate several names if should give King Trunsle’s interrogators some new questions to ask.”
Caden nodded.  “It will have to be tomorrow-- all of the palace tutors are at Darmoth today.  And I think it should be Jace.”
Jace raised an eyebrow.  “Oh?”
“My uncle doesn’t want too many people involved in these investigations since we still don’t know the extent of what’s going on, so none of us can just go to him and explain the situation.  But you, Jace-- you can say you came across the glyphs in an old manuscript from Elcaro.  You teach Elcaran history, so that wouldn’t be strange.  You could even say it was something about Greste and that the glyphs were the only part you couldn’t translate yourself.”
I nodded.  “That could work.  As long as he doesn’t think the manuscript is actually in Sunem, because then he’d demand to see it.”
Jace shrugged.  “Okay then.  I’ll go first thing in the morning.  And if he is curious I’ll put him off for now and we can explain it all to him when this is over.  Or when the king approves his involvement.”
“I plan to leave Friday morning,” Brynn put in, “so provided it doesn’t take long to translate the glyphs I can take everything straight to King Trunsle.”
We got to work.  I noted glyphs and passed the pages on to Jace and Caden who identified seven unique glyphs.  Brynn copied each one down and gave the paper to Jace.
“Hopefully Master Sian can give us seven names,” Jace said brightly.
Caden gathered up all of the pages Brynn had received so he could show King Menion.
Our conversation had drifted to speculation about Bradford when Papa joined us.
“I still don’t understand why he would do something so brazen,” Caden was saying.
“Perhaps there was a spell of compulsion after all,” Papa suggested.
Brynn shook her head.  “If Keish didn’t sense one then I have a hard time believing that one was in use.”
I gave her a crooked grin.  “I am occasionally wrong.”
“Oh I know,” she responded dryly.
“I trust Keisha, but it’s true, a suicidal attempt like that does seem… pointless,” Jace said.
“Well, if we’re certain there was no spell compelling him then perhaps it was not actually suicidal,” Papa said.  “Perhaps there’s something else we’re missing.”
“Like a magical escape route?” Caden asked, somewhat sarcastically.
Brynn and I stared at him and then at each other, eyes wide.
“That’s it,” Brynn said quietly.
I nodded.  “There’s a good chance.”
“I was joking,” Caden said, baffled.
I laughed a little as pieces fell into place in my mind.  “Beagan stopped him long before he reached the queen.  What if he hadn’t intended to go straight to her?”
Jace cocked his head to one side, considering.  “You mean he might have been going to another part of the tournament grounds?”
I nodded quickly, excited now.  “To be seen there, no where near the queen.”
“And then a simple glamour,” Brynn continued, “while no one was paying attention.”
“Like during a joust,” Papa put in, “when everyone was focused on the knights.”
“Go to the queen and…” I trailed off, not wanting to put it into words.
“And he wouldn’t have to escape, merely get out of sight for a few seconds,” Brynn added.
“Exactly.  Drop the glamour, maybe misdirect the guards and ‘come running’ to see what’s happening,” I finished.
“He would have to be recognized by the guards to get onto the platform though,” Caden pointed out.
Brynn waved this away.  “A glamour can be of anyone.”
“Sir Waldbauer,” Jace said softly.
We all stared at him and he shrugged.  “It was the only thing that really didn’t make sense.  Why would the FlyBy single him out if he really wasn’t involved?  But to single him out as being opposed, even violently opposed, to women’s education…”
“And who has been the staunchest supporter of it in Rousha?” I finished.
“Queen Elspeth,” Brynn whispered.  She shook her head as if to clear it.  “I know Sir Waldbauer.  He’s a good man.  I wondered why the FlyBy would say such a terrible thing about him.  How horrible.”
“I could be wrong,” Jace said, but none of us believed it.  What he said made too much sense.
Brynn stood suddenly.  “It’s getting late and I’d like to write all of this out for King Trunsle and then get some sleep.”
Caden followed her out, saying he would tell King Menion in the morning.
Papa and Jace went up to the observatory.
Left to myself I started this letter, but since it was in fact late then, as Brynn said, it is now even later and I must teach an early class tomorrow, so I’ll have to put this aside.

Feb. 25th
It was late last night before the much anticipated messenger came from Master Sian.  He was able to give us translations for all seven names.  Based on the placement of the various glyphs, Jace and Caden have decided which is most likely Bradford’s real name.
Brynn left this morning will copies of everything.  With such important information in her possession, I think she intends to push hard and be in Rousha tomorrow evening.
Bradford’s name, if we are correct, is actually Y’low.  The other names given were P’Le, Sen’a, A’Ter, K’lei, Mic’o and Ta’y.
Maybe we’ve found a small crack in Bradford’s armor.

Caden’s sister and brother-in-law arrived in Adya today.  They’re here to present Stacia at court.  Caden is trying to think of a way out of it, but aside from running away from home I think he’s stuck.

Feb. 26th
I have your letter.
I’m sorry.  About your father, your head, missing class…. Mostly that it didn’t heal him.
Of course, this also means that Imato will have another reason to be irritated at me for drawing you into the spell.  Nevermind that it was you who called Uncle Quin.  Nevermind that we’d have failed if you hadn’t.
I’m glad you talked to Trena.  Even if it ended up putting more pressure on you.  Now that she’s thinking about how to heal your father maybe she’ll help you find the answer more quickly.  At least she’s having better luck than I-- no divination I try will show me anything about you healing your father.  I just know you will.
I heard about Beagan’s intended knighthood.  We sent a knight’s shield with Brynn for him.
After being told by Imato to keep an eye on you I’m not surprised Mendel was so concerned about you missing class.
I hadn’t thought of Nysa teaching Gretel.  That could be interesting.  At least it might give Nysa something else to do.
Jace declares he will address Mendel as “serf” from now on.
You can tell Gretel that she doesn’t need any spells to be just as controlling as I am.  I didn’t put anyone through a trousseau.
It seems you and Master Grant have learned quite a lot, even if you haven’t quite worked out how to isolate the cells.  I can see if Tish has any ideas if you’d like.
Good luck with finishing up the term.  I’m sorry it’s so stressful.  It was good of Master Renwick to include you.  It’s easier to have a friend, or at least an ally.
I suppose I could try divining the location of the talisman.  Maybe Nysa and Liop could bring something of your father’s for me to try?
Caden came in as I read the end of your letter to Jace.  “Am I included in the everyone she’s giving her love to?” he asked mischievously.
“Watch what you say,” Jace advised.  “You never know what could end up in a letter to Imato.”
Caden made a face at him.  “And I only came to ask when Liop will be here,” he explained.  “Though I’m not sure letting them stay in the museum would be safe… for the museum, I mean.”
I laughed.  “It would certainly never be the same, would it?  I think he’ll be here the 12th or so.  They’re staying for a week.”
Caden rubbed his hands together.  “Excellent.  That means I still have time to plan how to spend time with those two imps without the whole court finding out,” he said as he left again.

Later
Caden’s mother gave him an ultimatum of sorts today.
She expects him to announce his engagement to an appropriate young woman at his birthday ball.  If he has not come to a decision by then she will be happy to make the announcement for you.
“You don’t suppose I’m lucky enough to have been switched at birth, do you?” he asked Jace and me when he told us.
“Heavens, please don’t tell me you think you’re Euan,” I responded.  “I’m not at all certain I could handle that.”
Jace and Caden both laughed.
After a moment Jace asked, “What are you going to do?”
Caden blew out his breath in frustration.  “I don’t know.”
“Are you going to…”
“No!” Caden exclaimed before I could finish.
It took every ounce of restraint I possess to not laugh at his expression.
Jace put a hand on his shoulder.  “You’ve got a few weeks to figure it out.”
Caden sighed.  “Yes I suppose so.  And of course you two are invited.”
I widened my eyes innocently.  “Oh?  Are we friends again?”
Caden laughed.  “Unfortunately no.  The king wants to see what gossip we can shake loose by having you there.  And if Mother balks, which she certainly will, I can blame it on you being so obviously in Uncle’s favor.  Can’t afford a slight like that, you know.”  He shrugged.  “Actually it saved me a fair bit of trouble.  I was trying to decide if it should be a masquerade so that you could come in disguise.  But since it’s one thing to conceal the fact that I was at your birthday dinner but quite another to conceal the king…” he shrugged again.
He still looked troubled, despite his laughter.
“You’ll think of something,” I said softly.
He nodded sharply.  “I’ll have to.”
“Come on,” Jace said to him.  “Sparring will help you work out some of that frustration.  I’ll have Ryland fetch the mats and something lighter for you to wear.  Meet us in the drawing room.”
Caden gave me an odd look as Jace left.  “We’re going to spar in the drawing room?”
“On mats,” I said with a shrug.  “Thick, heavy, woven mats.  Imato and Jace used to set them up on rainy days.”
“I am not Imato.”
I laughed.  “Truer words may never have been spoken.”  I shooed him out the door.  “Go on.  It will do you good.”
He turned back to me in the hallway.  “Lady Aoweir has been visiting more and more often…” he began slowly.  “I… I won’t let my mother push me into that kind of marriage.”
He was gone before I could think of a suitable response.

Feb. 27th
Stacia Pastile’s presentation ball is tonight.
Since it is a full court even Caden is demanding that Jace and I attend.
“I need the moral support,” he whined at lunch.
“Of two people you won’t be able to talk to openly?” Jace asked, laughing at the desperation on Caden’s face.
“I have it on good authority that there will be several quadrilles.  Just get close enough to me that I have to dance with Keish a couple of times.  That’s how we’ll communicate.”
Jace just shook his head.  “I don’t see what’s so frightening about a 17-year-old girl.”
“You think it’s a coincidence that my mother gave me that ultimatum the day after they arrived?” Caden asked, sounding panicked.
I stared at him.  “You think that if you don’t make an announcement, your mother intends…”
“To announce Stacia,” Caden finished bitterly.  “I don’t have proof, but I’m fairly certain.”
We were all silent a moment as that sunk in.
“I won’t marry her.”
I looked at Jace and sighed.
He nodded.  “We’ll go,” he told Caden.
“Thank you,” Caden said in relief.
Since I hadn’t actually planned to attend I didn’t plan a wardrobe.  Jace says to just wear the dress from my birthday.  I think I’ll wear the mirror necklace too.

Feb. 28th
Well the ball wasn’t a complete disaster.  That’s possibly the best I can say for it, though.
Jace and I were careful to avoid Lady Aoweir.  I didn’t want to deal with her.
Caden’s panic escalated with each dance Stacia claimed was his.  The girl’s manners are deplorable-- brazen didn’t begin to describe it.
By midnight Caden looked awful.  Jace and I made up the quadrille set with him and one of Vanessa’s sisters, who were both looking daggers at Stacia by that point.
“Do something,” Caden hissed as soon as we switched partners.
I rolled my eyes.  “What would you suggest?  Would you like me to cause a scene?”
He considered this.  “You could tell Jace to punch me.”
Obviously things were worse than I’d realized.  “Are you really that desperate?”
“To leave this wretched ball?” he finished.  “Yes, I am.  I’ve had to dance with Stacia four times.  Do you realize what this is doing to my reputation?  Even if I were prepared to make an announcement at my birthday ball I‘d be hard-pressed to do so.”
Of course I had noticed how many times they’d danced.  And the whispering that got worse each time.
I sighed.  “If you really want me to do something….”
He nodded sharply as he passed me back to Jace.
“Caden does not look well,” Jace commented.
“He suggested that you punch him.”
Jace frowned.  “That bad?  Wow.”
“I’m going to help him.  Once we change partners again.  You might have to help him out when I’m done.”
Jace smiled a little as he realized what I had planned.  “Very well, dear.  If you think we can get away with such a public display.”
“If I can maneuver us closer to one of his brothers we won’t need to try it.”
Jace winked as we switched partners again.
“Well?” Caden demanded.
“Dance us a bit closer to Terrence or Gage and I’ll take care of it,” I said quickly.  “Just remember you asked for it.”
As we passed close to Sir Terrence Viteri I closed my eyes briefly, gathering just enough magic to do what I needed without making it too bad.  Then I opened my eyes and stared hard at Caden, hoping no one would realize the connection between my actions and Caden’s cry of pain.
He stumbled into Terrence, who grabbed him.
I stepped back in case Caden vomited.  The spell causes a blinding headache, but I’ve never really used it before so I wasn’t sure what the extent of the symptoms would be.
The orchestra faltered as Caden was helped out of the ballroom.
Jace and I stayed just long enough to not draw attention, then hurried back to the tower.  Jace sent Alexander to discreetly find out if Caden was okay.  I had released the spell  after only a few minutes, but I didn’t know if there would be lingering pain.
Alexander returned with a single line from Caden.  “Warn me next time.”
“You didn’t tell him what you were going to do?” Jace asked with a laugh.
I shrugged.  “It needed to be convincing enough to get Caden past his mother.”

Caden showed up during breakfast, assuring me that he was perfectly fine.  “Not that I’ve told my family that, of course,” he added, helping himself to a heaping plate of food.  “As far as they know I’ve locked myself in my room to sleep.  I had to sneak out of the house.”
“We hear they even called in the family doctor,” Jace said.  Alexander had mentioned it last night.
Caden nodded.  “Yes.  All he could come up with was that I must have eaten some bad food.  I just hope Mother doesn’t make Aunt Jocasta fire the palace cooks.”
“Well no one else got sick,” I pointed out with a smile.
Caden laughed.  “And I’ve never been so glad to feel ill in my life.”

March 1st
I have a staggering classload this week, Arri.  With finals approaching we’re offering extra sessions of some classes as well as tutoring hours for anyone struggling.  It’s certainly going to keep me busy.
We received a brief letter from Imato today.  By the time he had Jace’s letter he had already come to the same conclusions about the Bellington ward.  He’s frustrated about that, but at least it worked once.

I hope you’re classes aren’t making you as busy as mine are, but I’m sure they are.  Try to sleep sometime, won’t you?
Love Always,
Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!