CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- January 24, 2005


January 24, 2005
Dear Arri,
The king has cancelled the publication of the Gazette until further notice.  I can’t decide whether to be frustrated that we won’t learn anything more that way or relieved to not have to deal with it.
The dispatches from the Elcaran/Grestean border say that the Sand Tribes have finally joined the fight, officially throwing in their lot with the trolls.  Somehow I don’t feel at all surprised.  It seems like something I was subconsciously waiting for.  King Menion has called up Sir Aoweir’s division.  They leave tomorrow.  I don’t know if I dare tell Gretel.
Jan. 25th
I hate administering midterms under the circumstances, but we’re trying to keep classes to a normal schedule.  Perhaps I should just be grateful I’m not taking them.

Jan. 26th
Tulson’s response to Jace’s letter was uncharacteristically focused.  He’s informed his father, of course, and apparently he had a chat with Mendel, who may or may not be upset with you for not telling him more about all of this sooner.
I wish we had anything to say in response.
Midterms continue, Lady Aoweir is saying all kinds of horrible things and Caden’s at loose ends without Gazette business to attend to.  Nothing he’s hearing at social events is helpful and he’s threatening to burn the schedule I made for him.  He won’t, of course.  It’s not enough to simply be seen with every eligible young lady.  He must be seen with the right lady at the right event by the right people.
He did make up another alchemy kit, though.  Keaton was thrilled, of course, and I expect this one will keep Liop busy after the festival.

Jan. 28th
I received your letter yesterday but between divining every few hours and finishing midterms I haven’t had time to respond really.  I was hoping to respond with relevant information but as I still have none I will have to simply muddle through.
I’m sorry the parade was dreary, though I don’t imagine any improvement in weather would have improved the feeling.
I’m glad you’re staying with Gretel.  I think it’s for the best, especially with everything going on.  And I’m very glad you can intercept her mother’s letters!
Personally, I don’t care about the reasons behind Reilly’s essay.  It’s ridiculous.  An 80 is perfectly respectable, though.
Castle Renwick seems nice.  Hopefully not nice like Master Allbox, though, or Jace says he’ll be traveling to Rousha to take care of matters himself.
I can’t imagine what anyone would hope to gain by accusing Uncle W., but the original story is horrid.  I agree that if there were any truth the regular news would have gotten it first, but there’s no accounting for what people will believe.
If only we knew when Imato would return.  I’m glad Dr. Ecrue has taken an interest, but I can’t think of anything helpful along the lines of a hypothesis.  Maybe Tish would have some ideas.
It’s been too snowy, and possibly even too dangerous, for me to take Argentum out.  More’s the pity-- I should like to be knocked out of my saddle as well.

Waiting is indeed a horrible thing.

Jan. 30th
I imagine you’ll have already heard about yesterday morning, but I’m afraid if I don’t put it all down on paper it will overwhelm me.
I went to my study, as has become my habit, to do some divining.  We’ve been trying to vary the times in the hopes of catching our nefarious stranger outside the castle walls, but obviously with no results.  Yesterday I was trying late morning, but I wasn’t feeling terribly hopeful.
Jace, of course, was with me and Caden had come by, so they both watched as I began the now tiresome process.
Before my mirror could even clear I gasped.
“You found him?” Jace asked.
I shook my head.  “No, but the wards… Jace, they’re Brio!”
“What does that mean?” Caden asked.
“But they’re ancient,” Jace said at almost the same time.
I held up a hand.  “Maybe a distant Brio ancestor cast them or someone more recently modified them.  I don’t know.  When Imato returns he can study them until he passes out.  The point is-- I can get through them.”
Caden’s eyes went wide.
Jace nodded decisively.  “Okay then.”
I grinned at him, then took a deep breath and tried again, gently pushing through the wards.  “I see him,” I said softly, “but I don’t know him.”
“Describe him for me,” Jace said.
“Dark hair, white billowy clothes… wait,” I said as the image shifted abruptly.  “Court clothing-- a high-ranking servant maybe?  A badge of some sort on his arm… Does the name Bradford mean anything to you?” I asked Jace, glancing up at him briefly.
Jace had gone very pale.  “He’s the castle’s chief steward,” he whispered.
My head jerked back up so fast I almost lost my spell.  “How did a Grestean become chief steward?”
“He’s what?” Caden demanded.
“Are you sure?” Jace asked.
“Yes.”  I studied the image again, steadying my spell.
“We need to tell King Menion,” Jace said.  They both moved toward the door.
“Wait!”  (What I said next was so entirely unladylike that I won’t record it, but I think it was understandable under the circumstances.)  “He’s going to kill Queen Elspeth.”
Jace grabbed my arm.  “Keisha, are you absolutely certain?”
I nodded.  “He has a knife.  He’s going to find her.”  I dropped the spell abruptly.  “I can’t keep watching-- he’ll notice.”
Jace closed his eyes.  “Can you find the queen?”
“I can try.”
“Isn’t the Princes’ Joust today?” Caden asked softly.
Jace nodded.  “You’re right.  She’s probably already there.”
I rearranged my mirror for a scrying spell.  “Okay.”  I took a deep breath.  “I see her.  She’s sitting with Clara and the other princesses.”
“Guards?”
“On either end of the royal stands, but not actually on the platform.”  I expanded my spell for a moment then let it fade.  “We have a half hour, I think.  Certainly not much more.”
“A calling spell is the only way to warn them in time,” Jace pointed out.
I nodded.  “I’ll start with Arri.”  I closed my eyes to seek you but didn’t actually use the calling spell.  “She’s not there.  She’s with Gretel, trying to make her eat.”
“Have they made an announcement yet?” Caden asked offhandedly.
I looked at him, perplexed.  “Who?”
He reddened.  “Imato and Gretel.  With the way she acted around food at Christmas…”
I looked at Jace, who seemed as surprised as I felt.  “You mean to say Gretel is… in a delicate condition?” Jace demanded.
I sighed.  It certainly made sense.  (If she hasn’t already told you, though, I shall have to apologize for spoiling her secret.  Or Caden will.)  “We’ll have to have a conversation later as to how you of all people noticed that.”
Caden squirmed.  “Not necessary.  I spent a year with my sister, remember?  I was there for her entire… condition.”
I closed my eyes again, forcing my focus back to the matter at hand.  “Uncle W’s too far away.  Nysa too.”  I sighed.  “Who else do I try?”
“Tulson?” Caden suggested.
I shook my head.  “No magic-- he wouldn’t hear the call.”
Caden furrowed his brow.  “But you can call Jace.”
“Dormant magic and a lot of practice,” Jace said quickly.  “Long story.”
I started a scrying spell again, trying to seek anyone near the queen.  “Beagan and Corey!”  I said suddenly.  “And Mendel!”
“They’re there?” Jace asked.
I nodded.  “But I’d hate to ruin Mendel’s…. I know what to do.  Jace, where’s Imato’s letter?”
While Jace went to get it I removed everything but my mirror from the table.  He returned quickly and I scanned Imato’s letter.  “Hopefully…” I muttered, scrying again.  I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw that Captain Simon Wood was indeed at the lists.
“Is he there?” Jace asked, knowing that I needed Imato’s letter to find his friend in the royal guard.  Imato wrote that we could count on him if something happened.  A password had even been arranged for messages.
I nodded.  “I know what I have to do,” I said again, looking intently at Jace.
He didn’t look happy, but he nodded.
“Is this safe?” Caden asked, eyes darting from Jace to me and back again.
My eyes remained locked on Jace.  “I guess we’ll find out.”
“Stay here, Caden, in case I need help, but stay still,” Jace ordered, eyes not leaving mine.
I took a deep breath and gathered all the magic I could.
Have you ever tried to hold multiple spells at once over a great distance, Arri?  I don’t recommend it except in an emergency.
I resumed scrying on the queen while simultaneously calling Beagan, Corey and Mendel.  The calling spells were astonishingly effective and almost immediately all three looked startled.
“Don’t react, no one else can see me.  Just listen.  You two must have more magic than I thought for such a clear connection,” I told our cousins.  “Mendel, it would be a little easier if you could join them.”
I saw Mendel look around.  “Master Brio, Master Gray,” he called out, heading toward them.  “Better?” he asked quietly.
“Yes.  And if you need to be able to deny a magical connection you can claim they told you.  I don’t have time to explain everything though.”
“But I take it your divining was successful?” Mendel asked almost without moving his lips.
“Chief Steward Bradford is behind the stories.  He’s Grestean.”
Mendel went very still.
“And he’s on his way here to kill the queen.”
Mendel was off almost before I finished, sprinting toward the stands.
I continued following him with one spell while watching the queen, but turned most of my attention back to Corey and Beagan.
“I need you, Corey, to find Captain Simon Wood.”  I conjured an image of the man for him.  “Tell him ‘Greetings from Reynard’ and then tell him what I just told Mendel.”
Corey nodded and started off, immediately heading in the right direction.  Brynn should really visit both him and Beagan.
“Beagan, I know Imato was teaching you to spar.  I need you to watch for Bradford and slow him down until Captain Wood can take control of the situation.”
He bit his lip, but nodded.
I expanded my scrying spell again as he began looking around.  “There!”
Beagan began moving towards Bradford while looking around to check Corey and Mendel’s progress.
Mendel had, of course, reached the stands, throwing a jaunty wave to the guards and taking the stairs two at a time.  He greeted each princess warmly before turning his full attention to the queen.  Leaning forward he spoke softly so that only she, and perhaps Clara, could hear.  “Keish Pren says it’s Bradford-- and he’s threatened you.”
Queen Elspeth’s expression grew very serious and she stood, leaning on Mendel as she looked over the lists.
Corey, meanwhile, had found Captain Wood, whose face was very grim indeed as Corey delivered his message.  Imato’s password worked, though, and Corey’s veracity was not questioned.
Guards joined Mendel on the platform as chaos broke out on the other side of the field.
Beagan had, of course, reached Bradford just moments before and tried talking to him to slow his progress across the field.  Bradford was having none of it, however, and finally, in desperation, I think, Beagan threw a fairly impressive punch-- connecting with Bradford’s jaw.
Knights and squires noticed the scuffle and I saw Tulson start towards them, increasing his pace when he recognized Beagan.
Bradford was screaming at Beagan, demanding to know what he was about, punching innocent bystanders.
“Not so innocent, Grestean,” Beagan threw in his face.
Instantly Bradford’s expression changed to one of pure hatred.  His hand came up and suddenly he held a knife.
“Watch out!” I yelled, probably deafening Beagan, and Corey and Mendel in the bargain.
Beagan dodged, though and landed one more punch before Bradford plunged the knife into his arm.
Captain Wood grabbed Bradford…

And then everything went black.

I woke up to the light of only a single candle.  Jace was dozing in a chair next to the bed but was instantly alert when I groaned.
“What time is it?” I asked groggily.
“Oh, probably midnight or so.”  His voice was light, but his eyes were worried.  “After you collapsed I asked you if it had worked.  Once you confirmed it had I send Caden straight to the king and brought you straight to bed.  You’ve been asleep ever since.”
I grimaced.  “I don’t remember you asking me anything.”
Jace chuckled.  “Can’t say I’m surprised.”
I tried to push myself up to a sitting position but Jace pushed me back down gently.  He moved to the door of my dressing room and knocked briefly.
“News from Rousha yet?” I asked.
Jace shook his head as he returned to my side.  “Too soon, my dear.”  He touched my cheek.  “I was worried about you.”
“He’s been here all day, Mistress,” Malia said as she entered the room.  “Wouldn’t even leave to speak to Lord Caden.  Had Ryland speak to him instead.”
“All he had to say was that King Menion sent a message to Rousha immediately,” Jace replied to my questioning look.  “And he asked if you were alright.  I’m sure he’ll find an excuse to come back in the morning.”
Jace helped me get up so that Malia could help me out of my dress.  I turned down her offer of a tray from the kitchen and fell back to sleep almost immediately.

I’ve spent all morning writing.  Jace won’t let me do any divining, so I’ll have to hope that Beagan is fine.  I’m sure there will be some official report later today.

I hope you’re enjoying the Winter Festival and keeping Gretel healthy and safe.

Love Always,

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!