CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- February 18, 2005


Read the entire letter before letting Gretel read it!

February 18, 2005
Dear Arri,
Nothing.
I don’t understand it, Arri.  I should have felt something, seen something, but the surface of my mirror turned black and refused to clear until I ended the spell.  I’ve never had that happen before.  I don’t know what it means.
Probably nothing good.

It’s nearing midnight now, though, and if I’m going to try again tomorrow I need to sleep.

Feb. 19th
I’ve had to piece together what happened this morning from what I’m told-- I have no memory from when Cass and I left my office (we met to go over finals schedules so that she could make arrangements with the other teachers) to when I woke up in my bed over an hour later.
I suppose I should say I have no… external? memory…  I remember the vision in perfect detail.
I wish I didn’t.

Cass says we had nearly reached my garden when I stopped talking abruptly and stood very still.  She asked if something was wrong.  I guess that’s when I collapsed.
Jace was in his training yard but Kaplan was, of course, watching.  Which is probably good since Cass could never have gotten me into the tower by herself.  Kaplan sent her for Jace and lifted me-- hurrying to get me inside while no one was about and startling Marta when he shouldered through the rear door.
With Kaplan’s injury he couldn’t carry me farther so Ryland took me upstairs.  Malia helped him settle me in bed but couldn’t revive me.
Jace burst into the room, having stopped only briefly to speak with Kaplan, and when Malia said I wouldn’t wake Jace simply pulled a chair close.
When I woke he was very pale, his head in his hands.
“I’m okay,” I said softly.
Jace’s head jerked up and he gave a sigh of relief.  “I’m glad,” he said, taking my hand.
“Did you bring me to bed?” I asked, looking around.  “The last thing I remember Cass and I were locking up the school building.”
He gave me an odd look.  “You don’t remember walking back?  Cass said you were nearly to the garden when you collapsed.  Kaplan got you inside and Ryland carried you upstairs.  What happened?”
I closed my eyes for a moment.  “A delayed reaction from my spell last night.”
He didn’t seem surprised.  “How bad is it?”
A tear slipped out of the corner of my eye.  “Bad.”  I took a deep breath to steady myself.  “But it doesn’t have to be.”
“Imato?”
I nodded.
“When?”
“Tomorrow morning.”
Jace nodded.  “Tell me everything.”
And so I did.  I told him every horrid detail of the Grestean attack I saw-- every soldier who fell, every knight injured, every magic spell used for nefarious purposes.  And then I told him how it could be stopped.
“You’re sure?” he asked when I was finished, even more pale than he had been when I woke up.  “This will work?”
“I saw it,” I said simply.
He nodded, his trust implicit.  “Can you at least rest for now and use the calling spell after lunch?”
I thought about it, calculating quickly.  “Yes, that should be fine.”

Malia has brought up a tray, so I’ll write more later.
Later
I need to get as much sleep as I can, but you deserve a full account and I’m not sure I’ll be in any condition to write tomorrow, so I’ll get as much on paper as I can now.
After lunch I set up my mirror in my study.  I can call Imato without it, of course, but I wasn’t sure how long I would have to sustain the spell, so it seemed prudent.
I sent a quick calling spell first, so that hopefully Imato could retire to his tent or something to speak with me.
When I saw him he was shaking his head.  “The bell again, Keish?  Really?”
I smiled.  “I prefer not to appear in front of people when they aren’t alone.”
He laughed, seating himself at a small table.  “Queran is letting me use his tent for studying wards,” he said, indicating the canvas room he was in.  “But I imagine this isn’t a social call.”
“I did some divining.”  My voice faltered as I said it.
Imato was instantly on alert.  “What did you see?”
“The Grestean attack.”
“What?  When?  How bad?”
“Bad.  But you can stop it,” I said softly, ignoring the “when” for the moment.
He had turned  toward the tent flap.  “I have to warn…” he trailed off as he processed the rest of what I’d said.  His head jerked back around.  “What?”
“A Bellington ward,” I said crisply.
His mouth dropped open.  “You can’t be serious,” he said.  When I didn’t reply he continued, “Keish, they’re hypothetical.  The standing record for an attempt protected one person for less than a quarter of an hour.”
“Safe to say you’ll beat that.”
I’ve often observed that Imato does not appreciate my humor.  Being on patrol has clearly not helped that.
“Lakeisha Pren, no one has ever succeeded before,” he hissed.
“Maybe that’s only because a Brio has never tried.”
“I can’t do it.”
“You will,” I said simply.
Imato sighed and hung his head.  “Alright, alright.  I know better than to argue with you when you use that tone.  When?”
“They’ll attack tomorrow morning.  Before sunrise.”
“Wonderful,” Imato said, rolling his eyes.  “So not only do you want me to cast an impossible spell, you want me to do it in barely over 12 hours.”
“Don’t be flippant, Imato.  I don’t choose what I see.”
He was immediately contrite.  “I’m sorry.  I know you don’t.”  He paused before adding, “Was it awful?”
I nodded, not trusting my voice as every horrible thing I’d seen earlier flashed before my eyes.
“Okay,” Imato said, sitting and pulling out some paper as well as his book of wards.  His businesslike voice made me smile a little.  “I’ll need another pair of hands, you know.  Preferably with magic.  I don’t suppose you can…” he looked at me expectantly.
I shook my head.  “Sorry.”
“Right,” he said with a sigh.  “I’ll come up with something.  You realize, though, that I probably don’t have the reserves of power required for this.”  He said it quietly, regretfully.
I nodded.  “I know.  You’ll be able to draw on me.”
He gave a small snort, irritated with himself.  “I take back every flippant thing I ever said about your strengthening exercises.”
“Plenty of time when you get home.  You can practice with Arri and Liop, and Nysa.  I’ll bet we could even talk Uncle W. into it.”
Imato gave me an incredulous look.
“Okay, maybe not Uncle W.”
He chuckled.  “How long can you hold this calling spell?  I could use some help with the parameters.”
“I can last a while.”
“How long before Jace is upset with me over it?”
I stuck my tongue out at him.  “Are we going to work or not?”
“Imato?” I heard from outside the tent.  Sir Aoweir entered.  “I do hope I heard Lady Keish’s voice just now because of her incredible talents and not because she is anywhere near the Grestean border.”
“You can hear me?” I asked in surprise.
Sir Aoweir looked around.  “Yes, I can.”
“But you can’t see me.”
“Of course not.  Neámhan magic is always either oral or aural.  I gather from your question, though, that Imato can.”
Imato nodded and gave Queran (he insisted I must call him that as Imato does now, though it feels strange) a concise overview of what was going on.
I wanted to know more about Neámhan magic.  “Tell me what you meant by oral and aural.  Gretel never said a word.”
“I’m not sure she knows.  We’ve lived in Arella since she was very young and once it became obvious that she did not possess the oral magic, which is more powerful, her mother thought it would be better to just let things be.  Magic is not as common in Arella and she wanted Gretel to fit in easily.”
“But it’s common in Neámh?”
Queran nodded.  “The oldest child in every family has some degree of it.  Oral magic manifests by age three and is why we are known for our singers.  Aural magic is the far more common variety.  Most children would have the strength of their aural magic tested when they reached the age of 16, but with Gretel…” he shrugged.  “We’ve never discussed it.  I’m not sure she knows about it.”
“She knows,” Imato said quietly, holding up a paper so I could look over his work on the parameters.  “She’s suspected since Trena told Keish and me about Brio magic seeking other magic.  She’s been too nervous to ask you.”
“I’ll have to write to her.  I’m going to be a grandfather, you know,” he said proudly.
I smiled as Imato’s face lit up at this declaration.  “I did know.  Congratulations.”
Imato made a face.  “Yes, from Caden Viteri of all people.”
“He sent a very nice apology gift.”
Imato grinned.  “Yes, from what Gretel says it set him back a tidy sum,” he said cheerfully.
I looked over what Imato was doing as he scribbled something out.  “That all looks right.  And I think you’ve solved the problem of needing another set of hands,” I said, looking at Queran pointedly.
Imato nodded.  “Yes.  Queran, I’ll need your help,” he said since Queran obviously didn’t see my look.
Queran looked over Imato’s notes with great interest.  “I’ve never been involved in real magic before.”
“First time for everything,” I said.  “Do you think you’re ready, Imato?  I shouldn’t hold this too much longer if you’re going to draw on me tomorrow.”
Imato’s hands shook a little but he nodded.  “We have to do some of the preparations tonight, but yes.  Don’t be late tomorrow.”
“I won’t,” I whispered, then I let the spell fade.

“Is Imato ready?  You held that a long time.”  Jace looked relieved that I simply opened my eyes rather than collapsing again.
“He’s worried, but yes, he’s ready.  I helped him with the parameters.  And I talked with Queran Aoweir.”
“Sir Aoweir?  Keisha, what are you talking about?”
I explained Neámhan magic to Jace.  “Interesting.  And that’s good, since Imato needs a second person helping him.”
I nodded.  “He’ll still have to draw on my power, though.”
Jace pinched the bridge of his nose.  “I suppose there’s no way around that.”
I put my hand on his arm.  “You know there’s not.”
He just nodded and pulled me up and into his arms.  “You should rest then.  After dinner at least,” he said, realizing what time it was.
Keaton ate with us, so Papa had to content himself with a somewhat simplified version of events.  Caden had already informed the king about my vision, but Papa went after dinner to explain about Imato.
I don’t quite know what tomorrow will bring, Arri, but I’ll finish this letter as soon as I’m able.

Feb. 20th
Just for clarification, a Bellington ward is a massive undertaking.  It blocks all magic and all types of weapons, including fire, from the enemy, while still allowing the protected army to send spells and arrows and whatever else into the midst of the enemy.  And until today it was, for the most part, just a theory.
Since I’m not sure how much you were able to see, I’ll just start at the beginning and tell you everything.
I was up well before sunrise-- even Blaze was still sleeping.  I set up my mirror in the sitting room so as to be more comfortable and carefully sought Imato, finding him just as Jace slipped into the room.
I let the spell fade for a moment.  “You should sleep.”
Jace just shook his head and motioned for me to go back to what I was doing.
Imato was right where I’d seen him in my vision-- standing on a small rise just behind what would soon be the front line of the battle.  Queran stood with him and I could see that they were ringed by the best knights of Sir Aoweir‘s division.  Under the cover of darkness Elcaran and Arellan troops had stealthily drawn up in battle formation.
“Ready?” I asked softly.
Imato nodded and Queran followed his lead.
Just as Imato started to ask “How long?” the first arrow came whistling out of the darkness.
Imato gave a quick command and he and Queran each threw a handful of powder into the air.  Imato began the chant and I could see the ward form, swiftly encompassing the entire army.
If Imato was surprised by his success he didn’t show it.  His face was a mask of concentration.
I focused on him, allowing him to draw on my power as much as he needed.
As the sky began to lighten I heard shouts of rage from the Grestean side as wave after wave of arrows were repelled.  All the while their archers fell as Elcaran and Arellan arrows found their marks.
After an hour I began to feel the affects of the spell-casting.  I had hoped that Imato and I would be enough for us to tap into that ancient source of Brio power we felt in Rousha, but we weren’t.
“It’s not enough,” I said to Imato, “But it will be.”
Before he could ask what I meant I opened a connection with you.  You were sitting holding your father’s hand.  He seemed to be asleep.
“Arri, Imato needs us.”
You looked up, startled.  “What do I do?”
“Just focus on him.”
I broadened the connection to allow Imato to draw on your magic also.  From your gasp I assume you could see him, at least.
When he shouted my name I knew he could see you too.  “Absolutely not, Keish!”
“We don’t have a choice,” I said simply as I felt the ancient power build.
I no longer felt any weariness and Imato looked more steady.  He sent a surge of power into the ward, strengthening it.  He shook his head at me but was no longer arguing.
Suddenly I saw your father.  He stood between us, looking around at the battle field.  “A ward isn’t enough,” he said quietly.  “You’ll have to use it as a weapon.  When the sun is higher.”  His image faded quickly.
I couldn’t tell if you had seen him, but Imato’s jaw was clenched.  “How is a ward a weapon?” he asked me and I knew he had at least heard Uncle Quin’s voice.  I have no idea how I called Uncle Quin to us.
“You can try pushing it outward,” I said, “like I used your ward against the fairy queen.  I’m not sure when the timing will be right though.”
“I’ll know,” Imato said through gritted teeth.
It was nearly another hour before Imato took a deep breath and said, “It’s nearly time.”
I tried to give a concise explanation of what he needed to do, but I think his intuition was a better guidance than anything I could give.  I could feel the power building as Imato called more magic to him.
Suddenly he pushed his hands forward and the ward shot outward in a flash of light.  I hope you didn’t hear the screams, but I have no idea.  Imato held the ward out for several minutes before drawing it back slowly.  He looked over the wreckage that had been the Grestean front line.  There was no sign of life.  In the far distance dust rose as if the army was in full retreat.  Or what was left of it.
I saw your father again, with his hands on Imato’s shoulders, but the image was faint.  I suppose I could have imagined it.
Imato caught my eye and indicated you.  I let that connection fade.  “Thank you, Arri,” Imato whispered as your image disappeared.
Imato continued to draw the ward in until it seemed to be absorbed into his armor.  There was another flash of light and then a cacophony from the soldiers around us as they realized the battle was over.
Imato ginned at me.  “Two hours.”
“I told you,” I replied with a grin of my own.
He didn’t look drained at all and I certainly wasn’t feeling any strain.  If we hadn’t been able to tap into that ancient source, though, I shudder to think what would have happened.
Unfortunately, Queran is not a Brio.  His face was ashen, but he was still swaying on his feet.  Imato started to call for a litter, but Queran objected, insisting he’d be fine on horseback.  I didn’t realize the spell would draw so much on him.
“I’m sorry,” I told him.
He waved that off.  “Nonsense.  We did a great thing.”  He took a ragged breath.  “We’re not going to have to do that again, are we?”
Imato looked to me.
“I don’t think so.”
Imato got Queran on his horse and, when Imato was certain he could keep himself steady, sent him back to camp.  He turned to clear away the spell residue, both physical and magical.  “You don’t think so?”
I shrugged slightly.  “I only saw this battle.”
He straightened and looked over the battlefield.  “I think we’ve broken them for now.  They’ll probably retaliate with small strikes, harrying us, but I don’t think they’ll be able to mount that kind of an attack for a while.”
I shrugged again.  I don’t know anything about battles when it comes right down to it.
“Happy birthday,” Imato said suddenly.  He grinned.  “You’ve got an odd way of celebrating.”
I laughed.  “I defy anyone to make me attend a ball after a morning like this.”
Instead of laughing with me he grew sober.  “You have to go, Keish.  You did what you needed to do, no sense drawing out the spell.  Besides, Jace is likely already upset with me.”
“He understands.”
Imato rolled his eyes.  “Of course.  Jace is the soul of understanding.  That doesn’t mean I won’t pay for this the next time I spar with him.”  He smiled at me.  “Go, Keish.”
I nodded, returning his smile.  Then I let the spell fade.
Jace was holding my hand when I opened my eyes.  I was slightly dizzy, but that was all.  Tapping into that ancient Brio power always seems to leave me feeling invigorated.
“He did it,” I said brightly.
Jace squeezed my hand.  “No casualties?”
I shook my head.  “Not on our side.  The first arrow came before the ward was up, but it didn’t hit anyone.”
Jace rang for Malia, who came a moment later with a tray of sandwiches.  “Lord Caden is waiting rather impatiently in the library, Master Jace,” she said as she set the tray down.
Jace gave me a questioning look.
“Send him up, Malia,” I answered.  “I can tell you both at once and then he can take a report to the king.”
“Well you’re conscious at least,” Caden said by way of greeting when he entered.  “Though you look pale.”
“I always look pale,” I said dryly.  I took a sandwich before anyone could start asking me questions.  Once I’d finished I told Jace and Caden the whole story.
“Why could you see Quin?” Jace asked curiously when I was done.
I shook my head.  “I don’t know.  I’ve had dreams of him, of course, but I have no idea how I called him to us during the battle.”  I frowned.  “That’s not information that should be treated lightly,” I told Caden.
He nodded, continuing to scribble notes for the king.
“Caden!” I said sharply.
He raised his head, looking hurt.  “Nothing you say is treated lightly, Keish.”
I nodded, grateful.
Caden wrote a bit more, then stood.  “The king will be anxious to get this report, so I’d best go.”
After he left, Jace kissed my cheek gently.  “You should rest.”
I considered arguing but the invigorating effect of the magic was wearing off.  “Just for a while.”
Jace smiled.  “Well we wouldn’t want you to be short on time getting ready for dinner.”
I sighed, remembering the formal dinner planned.  “At least it’s not a ball.”

I decided to write in bed for a while, but now my eyes really are starting to close.  I’ll have to finish this later, Arri.

Later
Do you think you could ask Trena about that Brio magic source, Arri?  It would be so much easier on all of us if there were a way for Imato to tap into it on his own.

I woke to find Brynn sitting nearby, reading.  I sat up, surprised.  “Brynn?  What are you doing here?”
She gave a low laugh.  “I came for your birthday.  I’d intended to be here last night, but weather delayed me a bit.  I certainly didn’t expect to find you exhausted from such extraordinary spell casting.”
“It was only a short nap,” I retorted.
Her gaze was appraising.  “Yes, your control is improving.  Though I hear a vision did you in yesterday.  If you carried your mother’s winged lion or created another secondary focus object to carry it would probably help,” she observed.
I chuckled.  “Always teaching.  I’d hate to break the lion carting it about, but I’ll think about it.”  I looked around.  “Where’s Jace?”
She laughed.  “I chased him off.”
I raised an eyebrow.
“Okay, so he wouldn’t leave until your father needed him for something.  I promised to stay with you while he’s gone.  And not to let you get up until he’s back.”
I rolled my eyes.
“Actually it works out nicely, because I want to hear everything.  Jace told me what happened, of course, but I want the whole story from you.”
And so what could I do but tell her.
Brynn doesn’t know anything about the power source we keep accessing.  Or at least she says she doesn’t.  I think I’m inclined to believe her.
By the time I’d been through all of it again for Brynn, Jace returned.  “Ready to dress for dinner, love?” he asked as Brynn left the room.
“I could have finished already if Brynn hadn’t been under the impression I was an invalid.”
He laughed lightly, pulling me up.  “Ah, but now Malia can help you, my dear.  And you’ve gotten plenty of rest, so you can enjoy dinner all the more.”
Clearly something was going on, but he refused to tell me anything, so I gave up and dressed, letting Malia have her way with my tangled hair.
When Jace emerged from his dressing room in a full court suit, my breath caught a little.  Since he stopped short when he saw me, I presume that the new gown I’d ordered looked as well as I’d hoped.
With a grin he offered me his arm and escorted me down the main stairs.  When he led me to the door of the salon, I knew he’d had Malia do it over for my birthday.  I’d told him I wasn’t stepping inside again until it was done.
It was amazing.  Glacial blue had been replaced with rich green velvets.  Dark woods gleamed.  Cream satin was accented with gold embroidery.  I stopped in the doorway, marveling.
Jace nudged me and I entered the room, turning nearly a full circle before realizing that in addition to Papa and Brynn, Caden was there.  As well as King Menion.
I executed a slightly belated curtsey.
“I do hope you don’t mind that your father invited me to share in your birthday dinner, Lady Pren,” the king said.
“Not at all, Your Majesty,” I replied, hoping that Cook had gotten more notice than I had.
“I understand a maid of yours redid this room for your birthday.  You must give her my compliments; it’s stunning.”
“Thank you, I’ll tell her.”
The king turned his attention to something Brynn and Papa were discussing and Caden moved to stand with Jace and me.
“So how does inviting the king fit in with keeping this simple?” I asked my husband sweetly.
He smiled.  “Well it’s not a ball.”
I rolled my eyes.
“You look lovely, if I may say so, Keish.  And Malia really did do an excellent job on the salon here,” Caden said.
“Indeed she did.  What shall we have her do next?” Jace asked teasingly.
“It’ll be your parents’ home if you sister has any say in it when she’s here,” I replied.  “But I’m not letting Malia go to Rousha without me.  Your sister will find a way to keep her.”
Jace laughed.  “No doubt Taty is already scheming to that end.  Though perhaps she’d be content to have Malia’s opinions on fabrics and colors.”
Keaton slipped into the salon, looking for all the world like a formal portrait we have of Papa when he was a child.  His formal suit was crisp and perfect and only a slight tremble when his hand touched mine gave away his nervousness at being in the same room as the king.
“Your Majesty, may I present my young cousin and ward, Keaton Leilani,” I announced, pushing Keaton forward slightly.
He made his precise bow and the king smiled.
“Ah yes, I am most pleased to meet you, my young lord.”
Keaton’s face was impassive, but he did glance at me as the king used the very title I had refused to months ago.
I noticed he had one of his paper birds held loosely in one hand and asked him about it.
With a grin he raised the hand and let the bird go.  I heard more than one gasp as the bird began to flap its wings, flying in slow circles around the room.  After a moment it began to chirp a piece of one of my favorite songs.
Keaton motioned for me to hold out my hand and when I did so the bird landed lightly on it.  Keaton had used bright jewel-toned papers-- the bird was lovely.
“Happy birthday,” he said shyly.
I smiled.  “Thank you, Keaton.  What a marvelous gift.”
Brynn came closer and studied the bird.  “Very impressive,” she commented.
Papa and the king praised the bird and Jace and Caden ruffled Keaton’s hair when he blushed.  He glared at them a little as he smoothed it.  I set the bird gently on the mantle.
Brooksby came in then, resplendent is his best uniform, to announce that dinner was served.
The meal was a lively affair, once we all relaxed a bit.  King Menion is utterly charming, of course, but he’s never dined with us like this before and it felt odd.  Keaton kept him entertained with tales of experiments gone wrong.  I think some of his stories were probably from Liop.
After several amazing courses (now I have to worry about the king stealing my cook!) we adjourned to the drawing room where Jace was prevailed upon to play and sing.   (He says he only plays the harpsichord because Taty wouldn’t attend lessons without him as a child, but he so obviously enjoys it.)
Master Zart collected Keaton when Jace finished as it was getting late.
Only then were the events of the morning brought up.
“Lady Pren,” the king began seriously, “after then events of last month in Rousha and today’s events, some reward is clearly in order.  The title of countess was suggested, I understand,” he added with a twinkle in his eye.
I made a face.
“But given all considerations,” he continued very formally, “We the crown would like to present you with this as a token of gratitude for your service to both kingdoms.”
I took the box he held toward me.  Nestled inside was a gorgeous necklace of fine-woven gold strands dangling six small mirrors, three on either side of a larger pendant.  The pendant was another mirror in an intricate frame.  It was absolutely breathtaking.
“Thank you, Your Majesty,” I whispered as Jace took the necklace out and fastened it around my neck.
“We had it commissioned after the Princes’ Joust.”
The king may still have been speaking formally, with the royal “we”, but from Caden’s smug expression I could tell he’d been involved too.
“I am also going to recommend to King Trunsle,” King Menion continued, “that perhaps it is indeed time that someone held the title of Sorcerer Knight again.  It seems a fitting reward for your cousin, especially since the last to hold it was also a Brio.”
Everyone admired the gift and the conversation returned mostly to small talk for a time, though I kept thinking how very impressive Sorcerer Knight would sound after Imato‘s name.  I wonder what he would think of it.  Better not to tell him anything yet, though.
As the king was preparing to leave he turned back to me.  “You probably haven’t heard yet, Lady Pren, that Edric Salazer has been stripped of his title of Lord and his position at court and sent back to the family estate in disgrace.”
He left without giving further explanation so I cornered Caden as Papa walked the king out.
“What was that all about?”
Caden smirked.  “I learned something last night.”
Jace gave him a look.  “Out with it.”
“It seems that Lord, excuse me, former-Lord Salazar was using the stories in the Gazette to turn the opinion of the king’s council.  After all, they can vote to close your schools in just a few months.  When the stories stopped, Salazar kept the rumors going, adding fuel to the fire, so to speak, by starting several of his own.  My uncle was positively furious when he learned that Salazar had asked me if I thought you were actually behind the plot against Queen Elspeth to begin with.”
Jace’s eyes were hard.  “I should certainly hope so.”
Caden nodded.  “Yes, I rather wanted to hit him myself.  Couldn’t blow my cover like that, though, could I?  Since we don’t know if we’ve seen the end of all this yet.  Anyway, he was escorted to the northern city gate in disgrace, with only a small valise and his personal valet.  I suppose it’s a good thing he’s a confirmed old bachelor-- it would have been a lot harder to get rid of him quickly otherwise.”
I smiled.  “What a wonderful birthday present, Caden.”
Caden reddened slightly and Jace grinned.
Of course Papa already knew, but we explained what had happened to Brynn, then we all toasted Schnauzer being banned from Adya.
Soon just Jace, Caden and I remained in the drawing room.
Jace took my hand.  “This may not be a ball, but may I ask for a dance?”
Caden sat at the harpsichord with a flourish.  “A nice country jig, Jace?” he asked teasingly.
Jace gave him a playful scowl.  “You know I’m only putting up with you because I can’t play and dance at the same time.”
With a mock salute, Caden began playing a spirited waltz.
Jace laughed, twirling me around the room with dizzying speed until Caden shifted into a smoother, slower piece.
We must have danced for nearly an hour.  Caden was standing next to us before I even realized we’d stopped.
“You have something incredibly special and rare, you know,” he said to us softly.
“Not so rare,” I replied, my eyes not leaving Jace’s.
Jace somehow managed to shake Caden’s hand while keeping his arms around me.
With a soft “Happy birthday, Keish,” Caden left.

It’s dreadfully late now, Arri, but I just couldn’t sleep until I’d written everything out for you.

Feb. 21st
I have your letter.
Master Grant sounds like an interesting person to work with.  I’m certain that between the two of you you’ll make all sorts of discoveries.  Liop must have said something about warding cells to Keaton, because now he’s after me to show him how it would work.  I told him I didn’t know and that he would have to wait until you had determined the best method.
I am very amused by Imato’s response to Gretel’s letter.  It doesn’t seem like weekly updates would necessarily contain all that much new information, would they?
Should I find myself in such a condition I would demand you try to determine if I was to have a boy or a girl.  I should hate being surprised by that.  I prefer being prepared.
I promise it was not me who suggested using Liop to translate.  I was rather hoping no one would think of it.  I’m glad Uncle W. said no.
I suppose there could have been a more subtle spell of compulsion on Bradford, but the court magicians should have detected it.  It does seem strange, though, that he would do something so obvious.  If there was such a spell, who was behind it?  That adds another layer of complexity.
It seems doubtful that anything sold was of magical value.  Even without specific tests Uncle would have been fairly careful about what was put in the auction.  What do you think became of the talisman?  It does seem unlikely that the Gresteans, or anyone for that matter, would be looking for it.
It would be interesting to read your father’s journal, but it’s not something anyone would try to steal.  At least I wouldn’t think so.  What value would it have to anyone but family?  I think he would have wanted you to read it.
I’m afraid you and Gretel are both correct-- you are probably working too hard but I don’t know what you can do about it either.  At least this term will be over soon, right?
Perhaps you could find a doctor who would let you observe and assist, but then that would just be one more thing for you to do, wouldn’t it?  It does seem entirely ridiculous that Master Ujifil refuses to let you help with much of anything.  Brynn says that being overly cautious is as bad as being reckless.  She’s threatening to have a few words with him when she returns to Rousha later in the week.  I’m not sure if that will help, but I’m also not sure I can talk her out of it.
Gretel can be far worse a tyrant than Imato, believe me.  She means well, though.  Usually.
After what happened yesterday I’m sure you are very anxious to get this, so I’ll close.  Imato and Queran are both fine, really they are.

Love Always,

Keish

PS- Yes, I’m sure I’ll need all the energy I can muster to keep up with Liop and Keaton.  Master Zart has offered to take both boys out to the museum and other sites.  He has no idea what he’s getting himself into.

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!