CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- October 17, 2004


October 17, 2004
Dear Arri,
Dameka insisted on being present for all of the testing.  That should give you an idea how my day went.
Having an observer is never ideal.
Having a nervous mother whose feelings about magic are ambivalent at best as an observer… even less so.
I decided, after some internal debate, to start with Charissa and work my way up to Keaton.  I was using Brynn’s preferred method, of course, but also another that I hunted up this morning.  Under the circumstances it seemed better to use two and compare, but even then I didn’t expect complete accuracy.
There is a wonderful air of mischief to Charissa.  Once you see past all the lace, that is.
There was also a sense of … potential?  I’m not sure how to describe it.  There was technically no sense of magical ability, but it may be worth keeping an eye on her.  Or perhaps, one day, on her children.
Bryent is adorable.  He is, of course, a perfect gentleman, but there is a sweetness about him.  One gets the feeling that his manner is more because of who he is than the way he was raised.  Bryent could be a stable boy and would still be perfectly proper.
Rather than relaxing as she watched me go through the same processes, Dameka became more nervous with each test.  By the time Keaton entered the library, her tension was like a presence of its own in the room.
Keaton was nervous too, but there was also a certain defiance about him.  I decided that was a good sign.
His test was certainly interesting.  At first nothing registered at all and then his hand tightened around the ball (I decided against glass for today) and raw power surged outward.  In a flash it was gone and only the faintest trace lingered.
Of course with Dameka in the room I had to stop myself from showing any reaction.
After Keaton left, Brinden came in and the tension in the room got even thicker.  I hadn’t thought it possible, but it did.
He sat near Dameka and gave me a questioning look.
“Everything was about what I expected,” I said delicately.  Truthfully I’d had no idea what would happen with Keaton, but other than that it was true.  “Keaton will need to learn to focus and control his magic, at the very least, but it will likely take several months.  I didn’t sense any magic from Charissa or Bryent.”  It didn’t seem worth telling them my suspicions about Charissa.  The more I thought about it, the more likely it seemed the potential would be expressed in the next generation.
They both relaxed visibly.  Thankfully.  Finally.  Between the necessary concentration and use of my own magic and Dameka’s tension, I had a throbbing headache.
I was relieved when the left the room.

Since Papa hadn’t really even met the children yet, we persuaded Brinden and Dameka to allow them to join us for an informal dinner.  The children were, of course, thrilled by the idea of a grown-up dinner.  Well, the younger ones were.  Keaton is surprisingly stoic for a ten-year-old boy.
The atmosphere was surprisingly relaxed once we got through the first course.  Not nearly as relaxed as dinner with Liop when you visit, but more than I thought it would be.
The children were perfectly behaved.  Naturally.

Later I asked Papa what he thought.
“They are the kind of children your mother would have described as ‘painfully well brought up’,” he said.
“Put an emphasis on painfully,” I muttered.
Papa grinned.  “She usually did, yes.”
“How did the testing go?” Jace asked.
“About as expected, I guess.  It might be worth keeping an eye on Charissa, but that’s just a suspicion on my part.  I didn’t mention it to Brinden or Dameka.  Bryent will be a perfect gentleman, of course.  I doubt there will be any serious surprises from him.”
“And Keaton?”
“It’s an impressive flare, and one can never be sure how the flare is going to affect the tests, but I’m not sure there’s a lot of power behind it really.  The testing will be more accurate in a few months when he has some measure of control.  I think this flare has been building for years-- the sudden releases are wreaking havoc.”
“It’s unusual for it to happen this late in childhood,” Papa commented.  “Not that it happens with every child to begin with.”
“Yes, but it’s not unheard of.  Especially in cases such as this where it’s such a surprise,”  replied Jace, of all people.
I gave him a questioning look.  “I spent part of the day reading.  I thought it might be easier if you don’t have to explain everything to me every step of the way.”
“Very sensible,” Papa said, amused.
“I suppose all of the requisite paperwork was easily accomplished, then, if you had time for research?” I asked.
Jace nodded.  “When I brought you that paper to sign we were nearly finished.  Of course there is still the matter of a tutor, but I told Brinden we would discuss that with Master Byra tomorrow.  He’s sure to have suggestions.”
It had been decided this morning that Keaton should have a private tutor for the main subjects, and as a sort of companion, in lieu of a nurse or governess.  For certain subjects, such as dancing or something, he’ll join the other children here at court.
The guardianship agreements specifies that Brinden and Dameka make the final choice of tutor, so it must be arranged before they leave later this week.
Fortunately, Jace has a light schedule tomorrow.  Equally fortunately, I do not.  I am perfectly happy to leave the interviewing of tutors in his capable hands.

Oct. 18th
I went to pick up my puppy today and ended up buying the litter.
It was a litter of four and I knew that bringing a puppy home with three children in, albeit temporary, residence could get interesting, so I sounded Dameka out this morning.  Being very very vague about the breeding and source of the puppies, of course.
Luckily it didn’t take much to persuade her that a couple more dogs on an estate such as Leilan Manor could hardly make a difference to anyone but the children.
So I ventured off before my first class, borrowing Ryland as well as the footmen, and bought the litter.  The owners were shocked.  They’d never expected to sell one puppy before I came along and they certainly hadn’t expected to sell all of them.  One could practically see the “crazy nobles” thoughts that must have been going through their minds.
As a result, I have made at least two very good friends.  Charissa and Bryent were completely thrilled.  Keaton was more reserved with me, though delighted with the puppy.  I think he suspects me of trying to buy his trust.  In truth, I was just trying to avoid my puppy ending up in some sort of tug-of-war.
Charissa promptly named her puppy Mr. Wrinkles.  Very apt.
Bryent solemnly named his Bob.
Keaton informed us that he would need to spend time with the puppy in order to select a fitting name.  As this seemed like an excellent idea to me, I entrusted my nameless puppy to Malia and went to teach my classes for the day.

I returned later to find Malia nearly in tears and a pair of Jace’s boots in tatters.
“I’m not sure how he got them, Mistress,” Malia declared, upset.  “He’s just been chewing and chewing…”
I laughed.  “Well we know what to call him at least.  And Jace has never liked that pair of boots.  He only wears them in extreme mud.”  I knelt down to pet the puppy.  “We’ll call you Chewy, I think.  Malia, tomorrow could you go to the market and find more things for him to chew?”
She knelt by me.  “Of course, Mistress.  He is a sweet puppy, for all the trouble he causes.”
Jace came into the bedroom just then.  He grasped the situation almost instantly and scooped up the puppy.  “What a good puppy,” he said, rubbing the little dog’s belly.  “Do you have a name yet?”
“Chewy, of course,” I replied.
Jace laughed.  “Very apt.”  He put Chewy down and played tug-of-war with the boot for a moment.
“Did we engage a tutor?”
Jace shrugged.  “I spoke with Master Byra and had Ryland locate the men recommended.  Of the five, I spoke with four of them and sent two on to speak with Brinden.  He’s using the library.  With any luck, he’ll like one, introduce him to Dameka and Keaton and we can make the necessary arrangements.  Your father said that the tutor could have his valet’s room below stairs if Ryland would prefer not to share.”
Papa is between valets.  Again.
At dinner we learned that Brinden had indeed hired one of the tutors-- a man of about 30 named Gabriel Zart.  He was the top of Master Byra’s list-- Master Byra trained him himself-- and his most recent student had just left Adya last month to attend college in Rousha.
We also learned that Brinden and Dameka plan to leave (younger children and puppies in tow) Wednesday morning.  I must confess to feeling somewhat relieved.  It’s not that I mind having guests, but I don’t feel like I can accomplish anything with Keaton until they’ve left and we can establish a routine.

Oct. 19th
Keaton informed us in the most serious tones this morning that he has named his puppy Thor.  He explained his choice in some detail to Jace, but frankly, I was too busy trying not to laugh at his demeanor to catch most of it.  Something about thunder.

Oct. 20th
Since they intended to make an early start, we said our goodbyes to Brinden, Dameka, Bryent and Charissa last night.  Keaton, of course, saw them off and was as a result in the breakfast room before us.
“Well, Keaton, is your room to your liking?” I asked by way of greeting.  We had made arrangements last night as to what room would be his and he slept there instead of our improvised nursery last night.  I was curious to see how he would respond to us now that his parents had left.
He was staring at his plate, but he looked up after a moment and said stiffly, “You should address me as ‘my young lord’.”
Heaven help us.
It was all Jace could do to keep a straight face-- clearly I’d get no support there until he regained his composure.
“Actually, cousin,” I said sweetly, “I can think of at least three points of etiquette that indicate I’m under no obligation to call you any such thing.  Besides, I hate such formality.  Is there something else you would prefer I call you?”
Keaton was staring at his plate again and made no reply.
“I could call you cousin, Keaton, Kea.”  Still no response.  “Or if you prefer I could call you Sam, Fred, George, Donald, Fred…”  He looked up at me slowly.  “Can’t call you Blaze, Zest, Aron, Thor or Chewy, as those are taken, but I could call you Ferdinand if you like.”
He still didn’t speak, but his eyes were wide.
I began ticking things off on my fingers.  “Or perhaps you’d prefer to be called Spoon?  Chair?  Table?  Lamppost?  Bacon?  Plate?  Fork?  Quiche?  No, I suppose that would become confusing.  Platter?  Rug?  Door?”
Finally he began to giggle.  Which was good-- I had been running out of ideas.
Jace smiled at me.  “Very nice,” he said softly.
I shrugged.  If random silliness hadn’t broken through his rigid mien I don’t know what I’d have tried next.  “You like Door, then?  Very well, Door, how is your room?”
Keaton laughed aloud.  I was beginning to wonder if he knew how.  “I guess I prefer Keaton, and my room is fine.”
The way he said it did not convince me, but I figured it would be better not to press him too much this morning.
“It was my cousin’s room, before he married in July.  You’re welcome to do whatever you like with it.  The small study next to it is yours for lessons, studying, etc.  If you need anything by way of furniture just ask.  You can talk to Brooksby or Marta, Ryland or Malia, but you can always come to one or both of us also.  Jace’s study” (since he’s continued using the study he shared with Imato) “is just down the hall.  You’ve met Master Zart already, I believe?”
He made a face briefly, but nodded.  “I suppose I start lessons with him today.”
“Actually I thought you and he could go exploring today.  He can tell you about the castle and about Adya.  If you like to ride, talk to Bryce at the stables.  He’ll find something suitable.”
Keaton cocked his head.  “Not lessons?”
“Well I suppose you can have whatever lessons you’d like, but I thought you’d rather get out and explore.”
His expression turned shy.  I don’t think he was used to adults thinking about what he’d prefer.  “Thank you,” he said, then looked confused.  “What do I call you?” he asked, wrinkling his nose.
“Keish will do fine,” I said with a wink.
Master Zart entered the room and gave an apologetic bow.  “I’m sorry to intrude, my lord, my lady, but I was looking for Master Keaton.  I did not mean to interrupt your breakfast.”
I waved off his concern.  “It’s not a problem.  Have you gotten settled?”
“Yes, thank you, my lady.”
“Keish says we should explore today.  Maybe even go riding,” Keaton informed his tutor.
Master Zart frowned briefly at Keaton’s informal use of my name, but I’m sure he’ll come around.  “Yes, Master Keaton.  Today it would seem I am at your disposal.”
I’m sure Keaton didn’t miss the emphasis on “today” any more than I did, but with obvious joy he left with Master Zart, talking about the horses at Leilan Manor.
“There’s an actual child in there somewhere,” Papa observed from the doorway.
“You missed Keish’s list of things she could call him after refusing to call him ‘my young lord’.  It was quite a masterpiece,” Jace said, giving me a grin.
“Well I had to get him to laugh somehow,” I retorted, finishing off my muffin and bacon.  “Master Zart seems a little stiff, but I think he’ll work out well.  Today should be good for both of them.  I, however, have classes to teach.”
“As do I, love,” Jace responded.
Bidding Papa good night, since he hadn’t been to bed yet, Jace and I left to face a day of clamoring students.

Oct. 23rd
I am exhausted, Arri.  I tried for three hours today to use the strengthening “push/pull” spell with Keaton.  The best we managed was a brief pulling match that resulted in the pillow we were using shooting across the room hard enough to knock a book off the shelf.
I may need to rethink where we work on his magic.  An empty room might be a better choice than the study he’s using.
I knew it was probably too early for the exercise to be completely effective but I thought it would at least be interesting for him.
It was, but it also tired both of us out fairly thoroughly.  I don’t think we’ll try it again for a while.
We’re still working out a schedule that works the best for everyone.  He’s had two days of lessons with Master Zart and today was our first session of magical training.  It may take me until next Saturday to figure out what else to do with him.
With any luck, though, today used up enough of his magic to keep it from flaring up too badly in the meantime.
I may need to write to Brynn.  I don’t remember enough of what my mother did with me.

Oct. 24th
I am delighted that Mendel is enjoying his puppy and incredibly amused that he has hired a valet for her.  It is perhaps a good thing that Zest and Blaze cannot read-- they’d be terribly affronted that they have only mere footmen to care for them.  Chewy wouldn’t care so long as there is something to chew.  Naturally.
After spending the days with Lexie (or Spot?) delivering her safely to Mendel, Dylan was rather attached to her.  Arriving home, he came to me and requested very tactfully to be given responsibilities in regards to the animals since he has little to do as a footman.  I told him to take direction from Malia and she was happy to give over several duties to him.
But having a footman is not the same as having a valet.  Blaze, especially, would be indignant.

Blaze has accepted Chewy with relative equanimity, which is to say he ignores him pointedly until it becomes impossible, then swats the puppy’s nose to remind it who’s the boss.  Since Blaze keeps mostly to my bedroom he has not encountered Thor, which is probably good.  A second puppy may be more than Blaze’s temper can handle.

Jace has had both another more cheerful letter from Taty and a letter from Imato describing his visit with the unfortunate Master Calibri.  Imato being more distant from the situation allowed him to be intimidating but not overly so and he’s quite convinced of Calibri’s sincerity, both in his affection for Taty (Imato doesn’t think it’s actually love, but he certainly likes her) and in his sorrow.
Jace has, charitably, decided to forget the whole thing.
I do believe, though, that Corey’s lack of intentions towards Taty is a large part of what Jace likes about him.

Most of the landed families in Adya are in court part of every year.  It’s simply a peculiarity of the Leilanis.  Since it has been that way forever, though, no one comments on it anymore.  Though there was certainly plenty of speculation about their sudden arrival.

I almost feel terrified at the thought of Liop and Keaton together.  Only imagine what trouble they could get into.  I think Liop would be good for him, though.  Keaton will be spending Christmas with his family but perhaps something else can be arranged.
When you can come too, preferably.

I am thrilled but entirely unsurprised at your excellent marks.  I am, however, thoroughly sick of Kondamuri’s rudeness.  To make you retake the test, and under such intimidating circumstances!  Hopefully this will convince him, though I won’t hold my breath.
At least birdhouses are smaller than furniture.

The fairies are quite out of charity with me at the moment, so I’m glad to have that spell.  I don’t encounter rings often, but it is better to be forewarned should the need to cross one arise.
I’m glad you can still enter them.  I had hoped to hear more about your mother’s garden.  It sounds like a very pleasant place to study.
That must have been very startling for the boy not to recognize you, though.  I hope he eventually calms in your presence.  Otherwise the garden may not be a good place for studying after all.

Oct. 25th
I was somewhat confused by your descriptions of cells and microscopes and such, so I went to Tish’s classroom laboratory after my own classes today.
Her eyes lit up when I explained what I wanted.  “Of course, come over here.  This is my microscope.”  She presented it with a flourish.  “My uncle has made many improvements.  Arri should really talk to him about getting herself a good microscope.”
I wasn’t sure what to say about it.  All metal and glass and cold.  Of course that’s not unlike a telescope, but this seemed all curled in on itself.
I listened as she explained its basic functions and then looked through the eyepiece.  “Oh my!” I exclaimed almost involuntarily.  I could see the plant cells, as you described.  Of course it would be very different to look at living cells.
Tish showed me a few more types of plants and then I left her chattering happily to herself, half in Iconese.  I have a feeling her students will be learning about cells in upcoming lessons.  Perhaps I should have her give Keaton lessons here and there.  It might interest him.

I think Imato may be right about it being a rough winter-- we had our first flurry of snow today.

I wish you continued excellence in your classes and a spot on the honor roll next time.

Love Always

Keish

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!