CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- July 4, 2004


July 4, 2004
Dear Arri,
I’m going to assume that the blank paper at the end of your letter is how the fairies want me to respond.  There are only a couple of pages-- apparently they want me to be brief.
Since I’m feeling contrary (Imato says, “In other words, normal.”) I’m going to fill all of both pages.  Even the backs probably.
The queen can just be patient.

It’s been a tense few days here, as I’m sure you can imagine.
After sending my letter off for Sean to give to Mendel, all we could do was wait.
I’m not good at waiting.  We’ve proven this several times over.
Imato is worse.
By evening of the 28th, I was ready to scream.  He had started the day checking the wards on you and Liop every hour-- until I pointed out that this could actually weaken them since it was drawing on his magic.  His wards are strong, but he still doesn’t have as much power to draw on and the distance makes things harder.  At that distance it’s impossible to make the wards self-sustaining.
Of course, all of that just meant he wanted me checking on you both every hour.
I humored him for a while but by nightfall even Jace was starting to lose patience.
“Are you all right?” Jace asked after Imato finally bid us goodnight.  “You shouldn’t have done so much divining.”
“I’m fine-- except for wanting to kill my cousin, of course.  Checking on Arri is never really a strain.  Imato on the other hand…”
“I know,” Jace said, “but you only yelled at him once.”
“I wanted to throw my mirror at his head.”
“Probably not your best idea.”
“Hence my yelling instead.”
“Arri is no strain, but how much longer can you keep checking on Liop?”
I shrugged.  “It’s not much of a strain, but if I keep it up at this rate I won’t be as helpful if Imato needs to recast the wards.”
Jace looked almost grim.  “I’ll take him out to spar or something tomorrow.  I almost wish Sir Aoweir had taken him on the training exercise, even with Liop and Arri gone.”
“The man’s smart-- he knew he didn’t want to deal with Imato under the circumstances.”
“Lucky us.”

True to his word, Jace forced Imato to get out of the tower most of the next day.  I don’t think he had to threaten him with a sword, but I can’t swear to that.
I spent the day finishing lesson plans-- forcing myself not to think about anything else.
That, of course, was extremely difficult, but I am quite proud to say that I finished all the work I had been ignoring.
The problem with that, of course, was that I had little to distract myself with over the next couple of days.
I rode a lot.  Jace and Imato joined me several times, but I went out alone too.  Poor Argentum-- he’s certainly gotten plenty of exercise.
Imato felt the wards starting to slip late the evening of the 1st.  I’ve never seen him look so awful-- he was positively tortured.
“What do I do?” he asked me after I’d checked the wards myself.
I shook my head.  “You can’t keep up both wards.  You’re going to have to drop the one on Arri and focus on Liop.”
“I can’t leave her unprotected!”
I rolled my eyes.  “Eventually, Imato, you’re going to have to realize that Arri can take care of herself.  I wasn’t proposing we leave her without any protection, though.  We’ll recast your ward to focus on Liop-- I can even offer some power to feed into it-- and I’ll ward Arri myself.  Since I don’t have your talent at this distance my ward won’t be very strong, but it will be better than nothing.”
“Really, though,” Jace pointed out, “how much extra protection does a girl traveling with a winged lion need?”
Imato glared at him, but agreed with my plan.  We spent most of the night working on it-- we had to find a way to recast the ward on Liop without actually dropping the original ward-- but we were eventually able to recast and strengthen it.  I know my ward on you is fairly weak compared to the one Imato cast, but at least it’s something.
Of course, the combination of doing that much magic and being up until dawn meant that I slept all day the 2nd.  In fact, other than waking up to eat some soup late that night, I slept through to the next morning, as did Imato.  And then we spent most of yesterday resting also.    We made Gretel read to us, after explaining everything she’d missed having been away with her mother to arrange the “necessary” programs, cards and whatever else one needs for such a formal wedding.  Since the small city of Kera is renowned for calligraphy, they spent nearly two days together in a carriage traveling there and back… plus the day they spent there.  Gretel is a little tired of her mother’s company.

You can imagine everyone’s surprise when your letter simply appeared on the table in the middle of breakfast this morning.
And the fairy ring in my garden irritated Blaze greatly, springing up in front of him like that.
I read your letter, reading the end aloud, and then passed it around while Papa went straight to the king.  King Menion sent for all the natron in the city to be brought to the palace as quickly as possible.  It’s not enough, of course, but it was the best starting point.
I’m quite impressed with your meeting with the fairy queen, by the way.  I’m fairly certain I’d have thrown something at her.
I am very curious about the fairy boy, and naturally proud and pleased with the account of your healing him.  I’m glad Mendel is proving useful also.
Back to the natron, however.
There is a dried lakebed a few hours ride from here on the road to Cruxholm.  Tish went with Jace, Imato and an entire legion (or so it seemed) of soldiers and servants.  Tish went to judge the natron content of the soil and the others to start digging and hauling.
I presume the fairies want it put into the fairy ring, which will decimate all of my oregano.  Tell the queen I’ll want that fixed when this is all over.

Later
Tish is back.
The natron content is high, so we should have enough in short order.
This afternoon, while we were waiting, Brooksby (who is absolutely still afraid of me and I have no idea why) and White put the natron gathered here in Adya in the fairy ring and it disappeared, so hopefully that got Mendel and Liop started.
A group returned with Tish, bringing as much natron as they were able to dig up quickly.  It’s a fair amount, but Jace and Imato are still out there with the others, gathering more.  Clearly Jace won’t be back tonight-- it’s nearly midnight.  I’m going to have to get some sleep.
Tish says we should have the rest of the natron we need tomorrow when the other group returns.

July5th
I’m out of paper and I’m sure we’re out of time.  Imato and Jace returned late this morning with more natron.  It should be enough.  I feel a bit guilty for having gotten any sleep-- clearly none of the men got any.
The rest of the natron is being put into the ring as quickly as possible.
Good luck-- I think you need it.

Love Always,
Keish

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!