CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- July 20, 2004


July 20, 2004
Dear Keish,

The first person I went to see after arriving home with Uncle Winthrop and Nysa back in Rousha was Brynn. I wanted to see if I could finally get the orange color out of her hand. It took a lot of concentration, but I succeeded in the end. Brynn was very happy to not have to wear gloves so much anymore. We talked for a while about the spell you and Imato found in the Chronicle. Brynn is very interested in how it works, but I couldn’t really explain much since I haven’t seen the spell yet. I’m not as good at explaining spells as you are anyway.
Since I was successful in healing Brynn’s hand, I thought that it was time to try to heal Father, so I went to the mental home. Dr. Rascada listened to my description of how I healed the boy fairy and Brynn. He doesn’t know much about healing though, so he didn’t have any comments. He agreed, however, that I should try to heal Father. It was early afternoon and Father was asleep. I crept quietly up to his bed and took his hand. His face was twisted in a tense frown as if in pain, but he didn’t move. I closed my eyes and sent magic into him. I’m not sure what I expected, but I didn’t find any foreign particles like the alchemy powders. The only thing I noticed was that it was impossible for me to sense his brain. There seemed to be some kind of wall around it that I couldn’t see past. Several of his bones had been broken and rehealed. That wasn’t unexpected. Father broke his leg in battle when I was two years old. The cracked ribs seemed more recent. There was also a healed bone in his right hand and a crack along his skull. Broken arm bones I didn’t know the age of… I didn’t know what I could do for them. I suppose if it was possible to heal bone scars Mother would have done so with the older ones. It is possible to heal scars on the skin, but I don’t know how.
In the end I had to give up. I released Father’s hand and stared blankly out the window over his head. Then I felt a hand on my shoulder.
“Don’t despair, Lady Arri,” Dr. Rascada murmured, “You’re only at the beginning of your training. You’ll find a way.”
Father slept on through the afternoon and I left without him knowing I had been there.

I wonder why Brooksby is so scared of you. It really doesn’t make any sense. If he was going to spend all his time hiding from you, why did he take the position in the first place?
I think that I wouldn’t like to live in a palace. One advantage to living in Odsreq was that there were very few formal dinner invitations—none actually. I miss Odsreq. Maybe Lord Schieving learned his lesson and he won’t invite you to dinner anymore.
That spell sounds really complicated. It’s intimidating to think that I will have to participate in it. The secondary spell means we’ll get all of the family wedding invitations for years. According to Trena the youngest person who needs to participate in the spell is still a baby. The day after I visited Brynn and tried to heal Father I started contacting our relatives. It made the most sense to start with the great-aunts and uncle because they know how to contact all their descendants, even though they don’t have to participate in the actual spell.
You are right: Gretel needs her own horse. I hope I can come with when they go shopping for one.

Great Aunt Filomena Pason, Katja’s oldest sister is almost as frail and thin as the healer fairy. At Brynn’s suggestion I sent a note first explaining the nature of my planned visit, that way I wouldn’t be dropping in unannounced. Aunt Filomena lives with her son Master Kado Pason and his wife Heba in one of the new town houses of Old Rousha. I was surprised to learn that I had relatives living so nearby. It took only fifteen minutes to walk to their street. I knocked on the door and was immediately received by the butler. They observe all the formalities, so I had to wait to be announced. Then I was led up into the drawing room where Aunt Filomena and Mistress Pason received me.
The first person my eyes rested on was Aunt Filomena. She was sitting in a wheelchair, nearly buried under a pile of crocheted blankets in bright colors. One hand gripped the arm of her chair with a tremor visible from across the room. Not far away stood Mistress Heba, our cousin by marriage. Tall and sturdy with white-streaked black hair, she regarded me curiously. I swept into what I hoped was my best curtsey.
“Mistress Pason, Mistress Heba,” I greeted them.
“Lady Arrietta,” Aunt Philomena nodded her head solemnly, “I am pleased to have you visit. It has been a long time… a long time…” she trailed off, pale eyes moving to her daughter-in-law.
“Welcome,” echoed Mistress Heba softly.
It was hard to observe all the formalities of society when I wanted to get straight to the point and talk about the spell to protect the next generation, but I could see that it would not do. Aunt Philomena’s attention wandered. Once she referred to me as Katja and once as a lady I’ve never heard of. Mistress Heba corrected her gently.
“Heba is always kind to correct me,” Aunt Filomena told me, “I think my mind has reached its limit with respect to years. It wants to start back at the beginning. Now we should get to the purpose of your visit before I forget and introduce myself all over again.”
“Thank you,” I said.
“Now you want to perform a spell to protect my children from the fairies?” she cocked her head at me.
“Your grandchildren,” I agreed and briefly described Liop’s attempted abduction.
“Yes, we had quite a bad time of it when our brother Ennis was taken,” nodded Aunt Filomena, “Father chased him through the fairy rings for several years, nearly sank us into poverty with negligence to his profession, before Mother could make him see reason. The fairies are not to be trifled with. Are you quite sure this spell will work?”
Not knowing much about the spell there was little I could say to this expect to affirm my faith in Imato and your skill.
“If my brothers, Keish, and I succeed in protecting our children, there’s a chance the fairies might turn to yours.” I watched Mistress Heba tense at my words, her eyes worried.
“Yes, yes, we must protect the children,” Aunt Filomena agreed, “Well, I will trust your judgment on the matter. I know little of magic. I’m surprised to learn there is any in my descendants. Heba, write a note to Liana and her family. They must come here and quickly.”
Mistress Heba smiled gently, “You told me just the same this morning and it is done, Mother.”
“Well, I’m glad to hear it,” said Aunt Filomena, “It’s so good to know that I’m just as smart in the afternoon as I was this morning.” She chuckled a bit.
“I assume you have other visits of this nature to make?” she asked me.
“Yes, Aunt,” I said.
“Well then, I won’t keep you here. Don’t be a stranger, dear. You are welcome anytime.”
I thanked them and excused myself.

I had to take a taxi to reach Great Uncle Omaha, Bastion’s younger brother, living on the western edge of Rousha. He was not as old as Aunt Filomena, although still old.
“Really now, niece,” he said when I was shown into the study, “I doubt any of my children contain enough magic to concern the fairies.”
“The thing is,” I explained, “They’re feeling kind of vengeful right now, because they didn’t get to keep Liop. This spell will make them furious. They might take a child with virtually no magic just because they can.”
He frowned at me thoughtfully. “Not wanting to stir up old ghosts, dear, but such a complicated spell must also be dangerous. No offense, but was Winthrop involved in its development?”
“Imato found the spell in the Chronicle,” I explained, reddening, trying to think of a proper defense for Uncle W. “Winthrop is very good at magic,” I said finally, but Uncle Omaha only raised an eyebrow at me.
“I see,” he said after a minute.
“It’s a good spell,” I repeated helplessly.
“I’d feel better if Winthrop didn’t participate,” said Uncle Omaha, “I’m sorry.”
“He has to participate, because he has the stone. Besides, the Winged Lioness said everyone needs to participate,” I said, feeling desperate.
“The Winged Lioness?” he looked at me sharply.
“Yes,” I said, “she’s the one who told me we need more than just the descendants of Bastion and Katja.”
Uncle Omaha frowned at his desk.
“Well, that puts a different spin on things,” he said finally, almost to himself. He looked up, “Is Winthrop back in favor with the Lioness?”
“Umm…” I said uncertainly, “I don’t really know… for sure. He wasn’t, but that was before he started doing magic again, and I haven’t really talked to Trena about Uncle W. since before. Maybe he is again?”
It wasn’t the greatest explanation, but Uncle Omaha got something out of it. His whole demeanor changed.
“I will certainly act on the advice of the Winged Lioness,” he said.
“You’ll come?” I asked, wondering how my uncertain answer to his question could have changed anything.
“Your servant,” he bowed. I was startled and didn’t know what to do.
“Thank you,” I said finally.
“It’s the least I can do for someone who’s on a first name basis with the Lioness,” he replied, smiling at my confusion, “I will send word to my grandchildren and to my sister Javana and her family.”
Keish, I’m still not sure I understand his reasoning, but at least he’s coming.

The next relative to visit was our second cousin Alando, whose parents and grandparents have already passed on. His home was not far from Uncle Omaha’s. His reaction to my visit was of great surprise. His mother never showed any sign of magical abilities and it had never occurred to him that he might have any. I couldn’t really get any sense of magic from him, but Trena had assured me it was there. His son, Cline, unexpectedly had a slight aura around him. He might have as much magic as Liop, but I really don’t have enough experience to say for sure. When I explained the situation Alando and his wife readily agreed to come. They promised to relay the message to Alando’s twin sister Gladys although she has no children and probably never will, but they still hope things might change for her.

I’m going to leave this letter with the Prens. Over the last few days I’ve received notes from all of our relatives that want to participate in the spell. All of the sixteen people Trena named are coming. Several noted that they had been planning on coming to the wedding anyway and thanked us for the convenient timing. I suppose it is convenient from their perspective. There’s no point in sending this letter since you are almost here. I would hand deliver it, but Clara wants me today. Aegolius is going to make some reflections. At least by leaving it with the Prens I know you’ll get the list at the earliest possible moment.
I hope you had a good trip. I’ll see you soon.

Love,
Arri


This is the list of who wants to participate in the spell. I gave you their age and how they’re related to us too, because I hadn’t ever heard of a lot of them.

9 Beagan Brio (age 19) – grandson of Omaha (younger brother of Bastion)

7 Vijay Gray (22) – grandson of Javana (younger sister of Bastion)
8 Karen Gray (21) – wife of Vijay
18 Isidro Gray (1) – son of Vijay

10 Corey Gray (18) – younger brother of Vijay

11 Sheila Haden (14) – great-granddaughter of Filomena (older sister of Katja)
12 Hollis Haden (12) – younger brother of Sheila
13 Kado Haden (10) – younger brother of Sheila

3 Alando Honeywell (35) – grandson of Twaina (older sister of Katja)
4 Teresa Honeywell (31) – wife of Alando
15 Cline Honeywell (7) – son of Alando
16 Liesle Honeywell (6) – daughter of Alando

2 Gladys Honeywell (35) – twin sister of Alando

5 Twaina Day (30) – granddaughter of Twaina
6 Kirkus Day (39) – husband of Twaina Day
17 Liop Day (4) – son of Twaina Day



Dear Keish,

This is a list of words you can use for the spell. It isn’t a very extensive list, because Arri said I had to correspond expenditiously. It’s a good list, though. I can come up with sandillions of words if you want me to.

beautifully chaotic
raspo torkinyo morri (Iconese)
aflunters
fine snocksnarls
yardra gilsp (Neahmese)
awful problem
complex spell
complicated problem
nmorrgrhh (Grestian)
probleme complique (French, but when I asked Liop where that language came from, he didn’t know.)

Love,
Liop

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!