CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Keish- June 18, 2004


June 18, 2004
Dear Arri,
While we had a wonderful time in Cruxholm, I am so very glad to be home.  There is nothing that quite compares to sleeping in one’s own bed.
Though I must admit that waking up to a million things to do leaves much to be desired.
The first thing to tackle was, of course, Liop’s handiwork so after breakfast I went downstairs to check it out.
I don’t suppose Liop has told you what he was trying to accomplish?  I certainly cannot tell.
Imato was not exaggerating when he said no one could enter the room.  It’s absolutely impossible.  I tried everything I could think of.
When it was clear I wouldn’t be able to go into the room, I set to work trying to determine the nature of the spell.  As I’ve already said, this was problematic.
At first I was grateful that Imato had to be elsewhere-- having him grumbling at me would likely not have been helpful-- but I soon realized I had a very different quandary.  There were two layers to the magic.  And one layer was Imato’s.
Believe me, I was as surprised as you are.
Unfortunately, that meant there was nothing I could do.  Well, nothing I could do safely, anyway.  Since Imato rarely casts spells, I didn’t recognize what he had been doing.  I expect him for dinner, though, so I’ll interrogate him then.
In the meantime, I tried to go help move Jace’s books into my our library, but Ryland very respectfully turned me away.
I suppose I’ll occupy myself by making more lists for rearranging rooms.


June 19th
I forgot Imato will be gone until the 24th.  So I suppose I’m not going to be able to interrogate him until then.  Drat.
And of course, with my luck it won’t be until late.  Why did he have to go out on a training exercise this week?  And there’s one later in the month also.  Just when having him around was getting useful.
I think I’ll spend today going over household accounts with Marta and Brooksby.  (Brooksby is the new butler.  He is very old and very proper and I’m sure he likes to seem intimidating in his precise uniform.  He and Imato get on well, I’m sure.)
Later
Well, finding Brooksby proved impossible, so I spent the day rearranging part of the library.   My Our library, not the main library… Papa’s library.  Whatever.  I’m going to have to rename half the rooms in the tower to keep it all straight.
Ryland was finishing arranging Jace’s books, but rather than turning me away, as he did yesterday, he seemed to welcome the help.  Malia and I spent several hours grouping books by subject and theme.  A couple of the titles on magic interested her, and I sent them with her this evening to study in her off hours.  Perhaps she’ll prove the best at finding out what to do with her magic.
There’s still plenty to be arranged, which is nice, since it means I’ll have something to do tomorrow.  I’ll have to convince Jace to set aside his lesson planning, though.  He really should come settle where his books belong.

June 20th
I am tired, but satisfied this evening, Arri.  The library is finished (with room for more books) and I’ve received your letter.
I am glad your father was peaceful, but you are right.  Something must be done.
I rather regretted having Ryland skip his shield spell for a day while you were here.  I’m glad it didn’t affect you, but I felt especially bad for making Liop so horribly dizzy, even if he was intrigued.  Of course, if Ryland had been using the magic, Nysa and Brynn wouldn’t have been able to observe the way Malia’s magic behaves, so I know it was necessary.
I wonder how many such places your mother had.  Perhaps you can take me to the prairie one day-- I should like to see that garden.  Will you tend it?  You seem to be the only one who can.  But you are right-- you are not your mother.
I’m sorry you don’t have as much to talk with Clara about now.  That is the way of things sometimes, it seems.  I am glad, however, that you have mended your friendship with Phyfe.
I am counting the days until Hermes and Clotho are able to deliver these again-- regular post is maddening.
I’m glad you’ve started setting wards around Liop’s room, but I still think Uncle W. had better give him at least a few magic lessons.  And if he won’t teach Liop alchemy he had best guard his supplies well.

June 21st
I’m beginning to think Brooksby is hiding from me.  I simply cannot seem to corner the man to discuss anything with him.  It’s maddening.
Speaking of maddening-- Gretel is threatening to move in.  Her mother is driving her crazy with endless list of “necessary” wedding preparations.  Of course, since Gretel spends as much time as she can here anyway, I suppose it wouldn’t make a difference.  I did try pointing out to her that she’d still have to see her mother daily because some of the preparations certainly are necessary, but she didn’t appreciate my practicality.
Personally, I think she’s just out of sorts because Imato’s gone.  Yet another reason to wish him back.

June 22nd
Imato is still gone, Brooksby is still hiding from me, Gretel is still fighting with her mother.  Really, Jace is nearly the only one here I’m not irritated with.

I suppose I’ll just give up and send this.

Love Always
Keish

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!