CLICK HERE FOR BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND MYSPACE LAYOUTS
Welcome!
Magic, murder, intrigue, missing relatives, secret caves, fantastical creatures, royalty, nobility, romance...
Who ever said our lives were dull?
To follow our story, use the sidebar links and start at the beginning of it all...

Arri- April 7, 2004


April 7, 2004
Dear Keish,

The Westridge’s carriage arrived right on time to pick me up this morning. The trip seemed to take twice as long as normal. I tried to read in the foaling primer that Prince Tulson loaned me from the castle library, but I couldn’t really concentrate on anything. I wanted to tell the driver to take me straight to the Westridge stables, so that I could check on Glory, but I knew that Treany and her family would be expecting me to come there first. I had everything I needed: the doll dresses for Treany’s sister, some satin thread for Mrs. Dinette in what the sales girl told me were the new spring colors, and some sketches that Taty and I made of the dresses we saw ladies wearing at the opera. I also had a new copy of the Fly-by since I burned the last one. I went to the flower shop to get this one, and I stared unhappily at it trying to decide if I wanted to know what was in it before I gave it to Treany, or to just let her tell me about it. It was not an easy decision.
The Dinettes live in a large apartment above the general store that they keep. It’s beautifully furnished and big enough to include a separate parlor and a guest room. Mr. and Mrs. Dinette, Treany and Kiri all said how happy they were to have me and ushered me into the dining room for an early dinner. It was fun handing out the presents. Mrs. Dinette was very pleased with the thread. She said that usually she has to wait until May to find out what the spring colors are. Kiri brought out her china doll and immediately began dressing it. Treany said the sketches were just as good as you see in fashion magazines. I was rather reluctant to give her the Fly-by, but I had promised. I handed it over and then tried to pretend interest in Kiri’s doll while she read it.
“Lord Tecsin is courting you!” Treany exclaimed after a several minutes of reading.
My face burned.
“What does it say?” I asked.
“It says that he’s been to the jewelers twice in the last week,” said Treany. Her eyes were shining.
“The jewelers?” Maybe I should have read it first. Maybe I could have lost it on the way here.
“Arri, this is wonderful! Why didn’t you write me?” she stood up and put her hands on my shoulders. She looked a little angry in addition to the excitement.
I didn’t say anything. I tried to think.
“He’s only been coming a few weeks,” I began, “and I’ve been so busy that I haven’t had time to write since we went to the opera. I did tell you about that.” I added.
“Yes, but he’s been to your home eight times since then, Arri! And now you’re engaged!”
“What!” I reached for the paper in her hand, “does it say THAT???”
“Well, practically, if he’s been to the jewelers,” continued Treany happily, “and you never said a word! I guess that is like you, but you have to tell me all about it. What does he look like?”
“What does the paper say?” I demanded, beginning to feel angry.
“Didn’t you read it first?” Treany looked surprised. I was still bright red. I shook my head.
“It’s beautifully written,” she held out the paper.
I took it, shaking, and looked at the headline: Lady Mercer Publicly Breaks Off Her Engagement to Mr. Farland. Well, that couldn’t be it. I turned the page. It was the last article and it was very short: “Young Lord Tecsin Contemplates Matrimony. It seems that after only eight visits to the Brio home, young Lord Phyfe has come to a decision. He has been seen leaving Dutson Jewerly Shop twice in the past two days. The Lady Arri Etautca must be capable of charming more than griffins. One can only hope that the quiet young lord will find happiness with his flighty young love.”
I sat down.
“Are you all right?”
I was trying to count the number of times Phyfe had come by. Was it really eight? But the last Fly-by said he had to come twenty-four times before proposing. Since the last article had been right about the actual events, I supposed that this article must be correct too. But I thought Phyfe was giving me time to think!
“I’m not engaged,” I said firmly. I started to wad up the paper, but Treany took it from me.
“But if he’s going to jewelers…” Treany trailed off, looking at me uncertainly.
“I need more time!” I shouted, “I just don’t know!”
The room was silent.
“These papers are wrong sometimes, dear,” said Mrs. Dinette gently.
“But Arri,” Treany’s voice was confused, “don’t you want to be engaged? I don’t really understand… first Prince Tulson and then Lord Sean. Oh! Is it Sean? Do you already have an understanding with him?”
I blinked a couple of times. “I don’t have an understanding with anyone. I don’t understand anyone!”
“But it sounds like Lord Tecsin likes you,” she was frowning in confusion and looking at the paper, “Arri, how is it you can have so many good matches and not know what to do? Do you like Lord Tecsin?”
“Yes,” I said.
“Then why…” she trailed off.
I didn’t know what to say. I really wish I had gone to the Westridges first. I’m never buying the Fly-by again. I don’t care how much Treany likes it.
I’m writing this because I can’t sleep. The foal will be born tomorrow morning and I want to be at the stables as early as possible. The moon is so full that I can write by it without lighting a candle.

April 8

I left for the stables well before dawn. I never did make it to sleep. It took over an hour to walk to the stables and I was pretty chilled, but it was worth it to arrive so quietly. Everything was locked up and the buildings dark. The full moon was so bright that my eyes stung looking up at it. I put my hands on the bars of the stable gate and gazed until I could feel the chill of the bars through my gloves. Everything felt so peaceful like another world. I forgot about Phyfe and Treany and everything in Rousha. All those things were completely separate from this place. If it hadn’t been for Glory and the foal I think I could finally have fallen asleep. But I wanted to see them.
Of course the gate was locked, but Nysa taught me an unlocking spell a couple weeks ago and I’ve been practicing it on the front door of the apartment. I put my hand on the latch and applied the spell. There was a popping sound and the spell bounced back at me. I stepped back in surprise. Someone had put a wards on the gate. I could feel them now that I was paying proper attention. They weren’t strong, but I hadn’t ever tried to break through a ward before and I suddenly felt unsure of myself. My only reason for spelling the lock had been to avoid waking anyone up. I knew I was allowed to be there and I wanted to prolong the solitude as long as possible—to see Glory alone before anyone else. Breaking through wards however seemed much more serious. I tried to remember the spell for testing wards, but Nysa had only showed it to me two days ago and I hadn’t used it successfully yet. I recited the words as best I could remember and sent them hesitantly out toward the wards. The popping noise repeated, but the spell didn’t work. I thought I could probably break through with more magic.
I was trying to decide what to do when I heard a sound coming from inside the gate.
“Arri?” Mendel sounded a little sleepy, “is that you?”
“Oh!” I said.
A shadow appeared and a lantern lit. Mendel grinned at me.
“Did my ward really stop you?” he asked, “I would have thought you could break it easily.”
Heat flooded my face.
“I wasn’t trying to break through wards,” I explained, “I just didn’t want to wake anyone up. I didn’t think you’d mind…”
“Oh I thought you’d come early, so I told Nikols I’d take the last watch. You could have rung the bell. I wasn’t really asleep—not completely.”
He unlocked the gate and swung it wide. I just stood there.
“Come on! Come see Glory,” said Mendel and I followed him in.
“Why are there two wards instead of just one?” I asked.
“Well, Father hired a magician to place the first one. It’s the stronger of the two. But mine’s smarter. I added it a year ago with a spell Fairy taught me. I can’t get nearly as much power into it, so I compensated by making it really sensitive. It’s easy to break, but the moment it’s broken, I know. And my ward covers the whole yard, not just the fence.” Mendel waved his hand proudly. “Don’t tell anyone about my ward though.”
“Why?” I asked.
“Well, my parents like magic, but I don’t want them telling me what to do with it.”
“Why?” I repeated. I couldn’t think of anything Lord and Lady Westridge might want Mendel to do with magic.
“Well, they would boast.” I could see Mendel’s frown in the yellow light of the lantern. “They would see it as a way to raise our social status. Although if I never marry, I don’t see how we can ever become a magical line. And it’s really only magical lines that raise social status, not skill.” He shrugged. “Maybe I’m wrong. Maybe they wouldn’t care since it’s just me and not Sean.”
I didn’t have anything to say to that. We reached the stable door and Mendel opened it for me.
“Right now,” Mendel continued, “my parents only think I used Fairy’s and your magic to find her. They don’t understand magic well enough to realize that I have my own. Glory’s belly dropped just after dark last night. According to Lady Lakeisha’s prediction we have hours before the foal is born. I have a second lantern and some hay and blankets for you. Did you sleep at all?” He was grinning again as he led me to the back stall. He lit the second lantern and held both up so that I could see into the birthing stall. It looked exactly like the foaling primer’s description—stone walls and floor scrubbed and sealed with paint. Thick blankets hung from hooks high up on the wall for padding. The bedding was long-stemmed rye. It wasn’t fresh because of the season, but it was very clean and dry. I looked around for anything that needed to be done, but I couldn’t find anything. Glory was spotlessly clean and her tail tightly braided and wrapped in cotton strips.
“We have that book too,” said Mendel, motioning to the foaling primer, which I had carried with me just in case.
It was a little disappointing: nothing needed to be done. I took a brush from the wall and entered Glory’s stall. For the next few minutes I busied myself brushing her, feeling peaceful in the utter silence and warmth of her body. The stall’s window was open so the moonlight shown through. When I looked up Mendel was gone.
After I brushed Glory, I curled up in the hay and blankets and dozed. I couldn’t sleep long though. I kept starting awake again, afraid of missing anything. The moon drifted until it was shining directly into Glory’s stall. She shifted restlessly and stuck her head out the window. Mendel had left only one lantern. I forgot to trim the wick and it sputtered out. I watched Glory until a cloud drifted in front of the moon and everything became dark. Glory became very still and I finally fell asleep.

I woke up again, startled, and looked around. Clear early morning sunlight was streaming into the stable. Glory was pacing the stall in tight circles, tossing her head and lifting each foot very high. I looked to the stable door just in time to see Mendel and Sean coming in, followed by a tall thin gentleman.
“Good morning, Arri,” called Sean. I stood up too fast and had to steady my spinning head. Horses in the other stalls tossed their heads and nickered as the men passed them.
“Lady Arri,” continued Sean as they approached the door of Glory’s stall, “may I present Dr. Marclam. Dr. Marclam, Lady Arri.”
“How do you do, my lady,” Dr. Marclam bowed formally, “I’m delighted to meet you.” His smile was warm and friendly. It made crinkles around his brown eyes.
“Lady Arri is a great admirer of your uncle’s book,” said Mendel, motioning to the foaling primer I was still holding from the night before.
“He will be honored to hear it, I’m sure,” said Dr. Marclam, “now I see that the mare is behaving normally. Lady Leilani gave the birth time as late morning, I’m told. Did she give an exact hour?”
I shook my head.
“Any abnormalities we should watch for?” he spoke respectfully, as though I were an associate.
“Keish said the birth would be normal,” I reported.
“Very good. Now I don’t see anything in Glory’s attitude to cause alarm, so if you will excuse me, I would like to tend to some of the other horses. I won’t go far, so if you have any questions or concerns, just send one of these gentlemen after me. Lord Sean, Master Mendel, my Lady…” He excused himself from the area.
“I think he’s the best veterinarian we’ve employed yet,” said Mendel.
“Ruby will bring breakfast out to the stables in half an hour,” said Sean, “Mendel thought you wouldn’t want to leave Glory. So how was your journey?”
Mendel took up a seat in the stable window and began whittling idly on a thick, pale piece of wood while we talked. I found it hard to concentrate on the conversation: Nozama’s parents have had another baby tamarin, a girl this time; Mendel is graduating next week with top honors.
Ruby brought muffins and apple juice for breakfast, but I couldn’t eat much. I kept my eyes on Glory most of the time, although I felt some curiosity about what Mendel was carving. As the morning wore on it started to look complicated.
“I hear you’re being courted by Lord Phyfe,” said Sean suddenly, bringing me out of a doze.
“Oh, yes,” I said quickly.
“Well, he’s a good man,” said Sean. But he looked rather serious.
“Yes,” I agreed. What had he heard? Did Sean possibly read the Fly-by? I felt myself reddening.
“We’re not engaged,” I blurted out.
Sean looked startled. “That’s…” he frowned, “very well? You haven’t been courting long, right?”
“Only a few weeks,” I was already regretting my outburst.
“You look worried,” Sean cocked his head to one side.
“Well, there have been rumors…” I was sure now that he hadn’t heard any of them, living in Odsreq.
“I’m sorry,” said Sean, “I only heard through a friend of Phyfe and myself. I don’t know any of the rumors.”
“Well, none of them are true, in case you do hear.“ I felt like an idiot. I looked toward the window, but Mendel was gone.
“No worries then,” Sean smiled, “I’ll only take information from you or Phyfe personally.”
“Thanks,” I said.
Mendel came around the front of the stable. Apparently he had fallen from the window. The object he had been carving was cracked and he tossed it into a wheelbarrow of trash as he walked up the aisle to the stall. I was going to ask him what it was, but at that moment Glory moaned and lay down.
“I’ll go for Dr. Marclam,” said Sean and he sprinted off down the aisle.
Glory rolled and stood up. Then she lay down and rolled some more. Mendel came up beside me.
“She’s moving fast now,” he said, putting a hand on my shoulder, “come stand outside the stall so she can’t bump into you.” I let him guide me to just outside of the stall, though my impulse was to stay next to Glory.
“Have you watched a birth before?” I asked.
“Yes, I always like to watch, if I can. The stable hands are all competent, but there’s nothing to compare with watching a foal born. We don’t normally call Dr. Marclam unless something is wrong,” said Mendel, “everything looks fine here, but I thought you would like to ask questions.”
“Thank you,” I said.
Mendel’s hand stayed on my shoulder a few more seconds. Then he removed it.
“She’s getting the foal in position now,” he said.
If Mendel said anything else, I didn’t hear. I didn’t even notice when Dr. Marclam and Sean returned. I just watched, trying not to blink to often. It was messy business and I was half afraid, but I couldn’t look away. The foal came out, front hooves first, then nose, and finally her whole body. She was shiny black with just a single round circle of white on her forehead. Like a full moon in a black sky. Mendel handed me a small cup with iodine to dip the umbilical cord in. Then he let me back into the stall.
I wanted to do everything myself. A couple of times Dr. Marclam asked someone else to do something. Once I heard Sean laugh and tell him to leave me alone. I didn’t pay much attention. I had virtually memorized the foaling primer before coming, so all anyone had to do was hand me the supplies. If I were a man, I would become a horse vet.
I washed Glory’s udder and steadied the foal as she nursed. I’ve never seen such a young foal before. She looked like she stepped out of a fairy story. Everything about her was small and delicate. Her legs tangled about her and she fell a few times before standing. She nursed for only a minute and then tumbled down to sleep. Glory cleaned her soft fur until it was dry and fuzzy. She was so soft. I could help but want to stroke her.
“What are you going to name her?” asked Mendel.
“Moonstone,” I said.
“That’s really pretty,” he replied.
All morning the foal slept and nursed again and again. I watched until late in the afternoon. At lunch and tea time Lady Westridge sent a servant to call us in, but I couldn’t bear the thought of leaving. I would have watched longer, but unexpectedly Lady Westridge herself showed up. Mendel jumped down from his seat in the window.
“Lady Arri,” said Lady Westridge. Her voice startled me because I hadn’t noticed her approach.
“Sean tells me you’ve had less than two hours of sleep and half a muffin to eat. You must come inside.” It was the kind of tone Mother used to take sometimes when she was out of patience.
“I’m okay, thank you,” I said.
“You really do look tired,” said Mendel. He moved a piece of wood behind his back so I couldn’t see the new object he was whittling.
“No thanks to my sons,” Lady Westridge put her hand on her hip and glared at him. Mendel’s head dropped. “Lady Arri must come in and rest before she does herself harm.”
I could see there was no arguing, so I let myself be led away.

I’ve eaten now and been sent back to the Dinette’s house. Lady Westridge didn’t even want to let me see Moonstone again after I ate, but I couldn’t leave without spending a couple more hours watching them. They are so beautiful together—Glory is a perfect mother. Dr. Marclam came to check on them. I asked dozens of questions and he answered them all, even lifting up Moonstone’s hooves and demonstrating how to handle her. He told me he guest lectures at the veterinary college sometimes.
I’m supposed to be going to bed early, but I must send off this letter and a note to Imato so that you all know that everything went well with the foaling. Today was the most perfect day I’ve ever had! Moonstone is so beautiful! Her black baby fur glows reddish brown in the sunlight. Her adult coat will be black as coal for a couple years at least. But her father, Stormwatcher, is silver, so she might start getting white hairs as she matures. Imato says Stormwatcher was born black, but he gets lighter every year, and if he lives to be very old, he will be entirely white. Moonstone will be beautiful whatever color her coat is, I’m sure. Sean said she has a very pretty head with large eyes.
I’m going back to the stables first thing in the morning.
Imato said he would come as soon as possible when he hears that the foal is born. I’m to stay in Odsreq for two weeks. I wish it was longer. Foals grow so fast and I’ll miss so much when I leave.
I hope this letter makes up for not writing much of anything the last couple of weeks. Now that I’m in Odsreq with Glory and Moonstone, I feel like there isn’t enough paper in the world to write down what’s happening.
I hope that all is going well with planning Gretel’s wedding.

Love,
Arri

Go to NEXT Letter

No comments:

Post a Comment

Leave us a little note-- Hermes or Clotho will be sure to deliver it!